Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 20/03/2017 at 17:04, TRO said:

The fact we was not 3-0 down at half time is surely to our credit too.....its not a one-way street.

Football, like many other sports is about exchanging blows.....and scoring and stopping your opponent from doing so.

So we don't play particularly well, the opposition don't put any if them away but that is to our credit?

Not sure I see it the same way, no amazing saves, no last ditch tackles, more a case of below average finishing.

If you are right TRO that Bruce knows what he is doing and as we grow as a team the performances will improve then it should be an enjoyable end to this season and next season will be something to look forward to.

I am in the "One swallow......." camp.

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So we don't play particularly well, the opposition don't put any if them away but that is to our credit?

Not sure I see it the same way, no amazing saves, no last ditch tackles, more a case of below average finishing.

We can only play, who is in front of us.....its not our job to be concerned about the oppositions inability to score.

its our job to score and we did it......its our job to get the opposition to not score and we did it.

next.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

If you are right TRO that Bruce knows what he is doing and as we grow as a team the performances will improve then it should be an enjoyable end to this season and next season will be something to look forward to.

I am in the "One swallow......." camp.

We have just won 5 out of six.

I' m in the 5 swallow camp.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Must . . . resist . . . temptation . . .

My restraint is definitely tested. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
I apologise in advance

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

And what is the other camp called?

its called

a different opinion camp

not just one camp, many.

I'm in the

IwanttogetbacktothePLasapbutdonotthinkSBisthe1togetusupsinceheblewhischanceinJanuary-theriskofhisfootballphilosophyonlygettingustothePlayoffsbutnotwinningthemisariskI'drathernottake-IwouldpreferaManagerwithafootballphilosophythatwoulddominategamesandprogressthroughwinning/coming2ndintheCHthenprogressingupthePLtillwechallengeforFACupLeagueCupEuropaLeagueChampionsLeague&ThePLtitle

Camp

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

its called

a different opinion camp

not just one camp, many.

I'm in the

IwanttogetbacktothePLasapbutdonotthinkSBisthe1togetusupsinceheblewhischanceinJanuary-theriskofhisfootballphilosophyonlygettingustothePlayoffsbutnotwinningthemisariskI'drathernottake-IwouldpreferaManagerwithafootballphilosophythatwoulddominategamesandprogressthroughwinning/coming2ndintheCHthenprogressingupthePLtillwechallengeforFACupLeagueCupEuropaLeagueChampionsLeague&ThePLtitle

Camp

In that case.........You will all be "happy campers" in due course

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

its called

a different opinion camp

not just one camp, many.

I'm in the

Camp

How many managers have took over a club in the second tier of football and guided that team to a CL title, PL title or even CL football? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

How many managers have took over a club in the second tier of football and guided that team to a CL title, PL title or even CL football? 

On the top of my head I was going to say RB Leipzig is about to do this, but they changed manager after last season when they were promoted.

So maybe that's the way to go :)

Funny side note with everyone hating on Leipzig for being owned by a soft drink company and having no history is that the season they were wildly criticized for "buying the league" in the 2. Bundesliga they spent a total of € 18.6m. So only slightly more than we spent on McGatemack...

Obviously the way to go is being owned by an investment conglomerate, a dictatorship nation state or someone who inherited his money. But having a history.

Modern football is rubbish.

But back on topic (barely) I think you are right, incredibly rare for a manager to take a team from the lower leagues to the CL in any of the bigger leagues.

It would take an enormous influx of money, huge amounts of luck and timing along with an amazingly talented manager. And even then it won't happen as the team would be stripped for parts by the bigger clubs.

We can be  criticised for paying over the odds for certain players and for sure mistakes will inevitably be made, but when you consider the cesspit the last regime had managed to develop, is it any wonder some players just arrived for the  money.

as the vicissitudes take place that will become less and less of a motivation and the majority will want to come for the right reasons.

backroom staff will be more attuned to the character of the player and will be in a stronger position to be more selective.

While our position is still far from ideal, I do see the shoots of recovery appearing not just on the pitch, but in recruitment too.....both on and off the pitch.

If we as fans can believe in this gradual transformation ( ignoring the odd set back) I think we are in for some exciting years ahead.

just remember the old saying " If you think you can ,you can....If you think you can't ,you can't.

We will be back and I believe we are on our way.

IMO the future debates are more likely to be about the RATE of  improvement.....but hey ! we will all find something to talk about.

Edited by TRO

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

Brian Clough,  Ron Saunders...

Well that's true Pete if you want to ignore the work of Tony Barton.

He was the one who guided us through the Stages of the Euro cup.

It was Ron's Team granted......but Tony played a huge,huge part in it all.

just trying to give a bit of credit, where I think credit is due.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

its called

a different opinion camp

not just one camp, many.

I'm in the

Camp

200w.gif

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well that's true Pete if you want to ignore the work of Tony Barton.

I didn't and don't, not at all. My post was meant to (and I think did) factually answer that Ron Saunders took us up and then won the league.

Him and Tony Barton are not going to be ignored and forgotten by any of us that were around at the time :)

Â