Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What is 'pretty football' when it's at home?

Well I for one have no idea.

Maybe if you could show where its been used the context might make it clear ?  But as a phrase on its own its gobblydegook to me !

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Where we differ is I genuinely think in his own way he actually does / or is coming around to want to play some proper football (again as I said earlier that doesn't mean pretty, but it can be very watchable).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What does everyone think about Tammy Abraham on loan next year?

Would be a good option but would he come as potentially 3rd choice striker behind kodjia and hogan? 

Also, would it hamper the development of Hepburn-Murphy? 

Finally, we'd be developing any teams player with minimal chance of making it permanent.

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good player but rather we don't loan players. Plus Hogan and Kodija will be the new Gray and Little next season :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good player but rather we don't loan players. Plus Hogan and Kodija will be the new Gray and Little next season :)

I sort of think we need a BIG Gestede type player, which is not Gestede (Better) as a part of the squad for diversity. If you know what I mean, someone we can throw in as a battering ram, especially for when we need a result by any means necessary.

Truthfully don't like loans either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good player but not sure we would get him - would make more sense for Chelsea to loan him to a premier club for experience .

think he will go on to be a real class striker .

if we are lookNg for low cost back up how about crouch or Walters from stoke ? Both past their best but could be picked up relatively cheap for £3m ish? 

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

That wasn't only meant for you though Terry, which is why I didn't quote you in the first place.

I keep seeing posters referring to pretty football or some similar adjective. I just don't know what it is. 

Sorry mate I actually thought someone had talked about it and was agreeing with you that it was a fairly meaningless term !!  I was interested because I genuinely feel the debate would be derailed if it became about arbitrary attractiveness/prettiness in itself...........I've re-read my Post and see it could've come across as sarcasm !! Wasn't meant to be !!

• Like 1

I think when I say 'pretty' I mean a combination of possession, passing etc - Arsenal if you like, or Wigan under Martinez, or Swansea.

And I definitely DONT think it IS pretty, or particularly special to watch - and I certainly see no need for us to play like it.

I love grit, defensive play, being hard to beat, getting on other teams nerves etc.

My comparison would be our Title winning side and Ipswich.

All the so-called 'purists' liked Ipswich more.  I preferred us, not just because we were us, but I liked our high energy, our fast counter attacks, our combatitive style.  We've done it several times since too.

All we need to do is link play from front to back more and not get sucked into/set up for a deep defensive set up........and as Ive said I'm actually quite hopeful we have deliberately bought players who will allow it.  Just need Brucie to grab the bull by the horns !

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I sort of think we need a BIG Gestede type player, which is not Gestede (Better) as a part of the squad for diversity. If you know what I mean, someone we can throw in as a battering ram, especially for when we need a result by any means necessary.

I agree, we need a physical presence as an option off the bench or in physical games. I'm sure Bruce will in the market for a striker (or two) in the summer. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That wasn't only meant for you though Terry, which is why I didn't quote you in the first place.

I keep seeing posters referring to pretty football or some similar adjective. I just don't know what it is. 

It's what people moan about when they have nothing else to moan about. Usually it's a sign that things are going pretty well.

• Like 2

If I had just come back from a fantastic holiday and read these forums I would never have guessed we'd won 5 of our last 6, with 5 clean sheets for good measure. 

As for performances themselves, Bruce hasn't been bigging them up despite the wins, so I don't buy that this is how he wants us playing. Given the rest of the season, a full pre-season and a few additions in the summer then we can really judge how he wants us playing. 

Personally, I don't think 2 up top with a winger in each flank is that defensive or boring. Just because he doesn't subscribe to the having to play 1 up front like everybody else, it doesn't mean he's a dinosaur or boring. He's also shown in plenty of games that he's not strictly about 4-4-2. 

If we're getting points then the argument is we're not delivering a performance. When we deliver a performance and look the better side but don't win, we're not delivering the points. He'll never win with some. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's get Tekkers back, I'm positive that he would rather be playing for us  again.... Problem he is too stubborn to come crawling back. 

Can you imagine if you could've told him 2 years ago that he would be playing for Palace in 2 years time hardly scoring and flirting with relegation. 

Nb I don't care that we are in the championship, I'm having one of those arrogant villa fan moments where I still think we're a top 10 premier league team. 

16 hours ago, sne said:

:D

The thing is that I think this is pretty much how I think Bruce want's us to play.

Sure it will get a bit better, but I don't think the style will change all that much.

How can you think it when he comes out and says we were awful? and has said pretty much after every victory recently it still isn't good enough?

He is telling you it isn't what he wants. What more can he do?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

How can you think it when he comes out and says we were awful? and has said pretty much after every victory recently it still isn't good enough?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think what sne is trying to say is that the perfect Steve Bruce team and performance would be solid and pragmatic. Not giving the opposition many, if any chances and being clinical with the chances we get. Think Mourinho. Where as what would be more pleasing on the eye and exciting would be a more attacking possession based approach. Think Guardiola. Both good managers who have won lots of trophies but chalk and cheese when it comes to style. 

If you look back over Steve Bruce's managerial career he's always been more Jose than Pepe and that ain't gonna change. He might give us a decent version of the former and get us promoted, if he tries to do a Pepe, which he won't, it would end in tears. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Let's get Tekkers back, I'm positive that he would rather be playing for us  again.... Problem he is too stubborn to come crawling back. 

Can you imagine if you could've told him 2 years ago that he would be playing for Palace in 2 years time hardly scoring and flirting with relegation. 

Nb I don't care that we are in the championship, I'm having one of those arrogant villa fan moments where I still think we're a top 10 premier league team. 

Unfortunately he wouldn't drop to the Championship, his transfer fee would cost our entire Summer budget and his wages are currently 120k per week...

If we had gone up this season I think it would have been a realistic possibility

Edited by wilko154

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

It's the same as the people who are STILL saying "as soon as Bruce lets them play, they look good" as if he's deliberately telling them all to play shit and be as bad as they can.

People are finding every way possible to take any credit away from the manager.

• Like 2

Â