Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think he had a purpose in the initial months when he came in where we were all over the place but we didn't really have much use for him from mid-2017 onwards. Also unlike Smith and Emery he's just a nasty person, which left a bad taste for a lot of people understandably.

• Like 1

That run around the turn of 2017 really was bad. I think it’s kinda forgotten about now but I view it as a real low point in my time following Villa.

Obviously the previous season was utterly awful but I’d accepted that we were dreadful, but we were dreadful in the Premier League. To see us be awful in the Championship having spent loads in the summer (under RDM) and then topping it up in January (under Brucey) really made me feel low.

Bad start under Di Matteo, mostly infuriating draws though. But still, bad. Mini resurgence under Bruce then that run I’m on about, late December 2016 through to late February.

Two points - count ‘em, two points - from Leeds, Cardiff, Wolves, Preston, Brentford, Forest, Ipswich, Barnsley and Newcastle. Two points. And throw in an expected cup exit to Spurs for good measure. I remember watching that 3-0 defeat to Brentford just with a glum acceptance that this is what life is now.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That run around the turn of 2017 really was bad. I think it’s kinda forgotten about now but I view it as a real low point in my time following Villa.

Obviously the previous season was utterly awful but I’d accepted that we were dreadful, but we were dreadful in the Premier League. To see us be awful in the Championship having spent loads in the summer (under RDM) and then topping it up in January (under Brucey) really made me feel low.

Bad start under Di Matteo, mostly infuriating draws though. But still, bad. Mini resurgence under Bruce then that run I’m on about, late December 2016 through to late February.

Two points - count ‘em, two points - from Leeds, Cardiff, Wolves, Preston, Brentford, Forest, Ipswich, Barnsley and Newcastle. Two points. And throw in an expected cup exit to Spurs for good measure. I remember watching that 3-0 defeat to Brentford just with a glum acceptance that this is what life is now.

He was nothing without Kodjia's moments of magic that season. Couldn't believe we lost something like 7 out of 8 games in that period. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

He absolutely killed my interest in Villa.

I didn't follow any of the news when his replacement was being chased.

Deano pulled me back. Thank you Deano. Also damn you Deano.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He absolutely killed my interest in Villa.

I didn't follow any of the news when his replacement was being chased.

Deano pulled me back. Thank you Deano. Also damn you Deano.

Crazy how th cycle repeated itself with Gerrard/Unai.

• 1 month later...

And somewhere in England Steve Bruce has just bought himself a dart board and started practicing like a man possessed.

Supermarket giants Iceland are keen on offering darts teenage sensation Luke Littler free kebab meat for life.

The 16-year-old has become the darling of Great Britain after his mastery on the oche saw him reach the final of the Paddy Power PDC World Darts Championship. Littler was narrowly overcome by new World No.1 Luke Humphries, who overturned a 4-2 scoreline to overcome the Runcorn youngster 7-4.

While Littler provided many memorable moments over the course of his time at Ally Pally, his most famous quote was his revelation that he marks every darts victory with a doner kebab complete with salad and mayonnaise. Not only did his meal amuse the country, it was also the catalyst of a spectacular surge in sales for the supermarket.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/darts/luke-littler-darts-iceland-kebab-31826085

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is a fair bit of revisionism going in here. Bruce at least steadied the ship on the pitch. 2011-2016 was utterly awful, apart from a few minor blips.  And RDM was a failed experiment. Bruce was fine for the situation we were in. You expected Villa to lose virtually every time we played. At least under Bruce we won a fair amount of games. Ok it was the championship, we spent to much, and at best the football was functional but still at least you went to Villa Park expecting to see a win. And I don't get all of this personal dislike to the bloke, seemed ok to me. He wasn't in charge of the overspend, that was done to Wyness and Dr Tony.

45% win rate while playing dire football with the biggest budget in the league. Yes he did some good things but was an absolute failure

We should have been fighting Wolves neck and neck for the title in 17/18 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is a fair bit of revisionism going in here. Bruce at least steadied the ship on the pitch. 2011-2016 was utterly awful, apart from a few minor blips.  And RDM was a failed experiment. Bruce was fine for the situation we were in. You expected Villa to lose virtually every time we played. At least under Bruce we won a fair amount of games. Ok it was the championship, we spent to much, and at best the football was functional but still at least you went to Villa Park expecting to see a win. And I don't get all of this personal dislike to the bloke, seemed ok to me. He wasn't in charge of the overspend, that was done to Wyness and Dr Tony.

I find it difficult to take the “beg borrow and steal” line he would trot out when we’re paying sixty grand a week to John Terry.

Was he in the room saying “Ok John, 60 gonna be enough for you?”. No idea. But let’s say he wasn’t. Are you telling me Steve Bruce doesn’t realise that securing John Terry’s signature is going to cost a fair amount and that very deal would impact on other spending therefore ensuring he is going to have to “beg” elsewhere.

There will be FFP restrictions so Elphick goes out on loan and we can continue with that season’s main goal to destroy James Chester’s legs. But then FFP restrictions go out the window when future success story Yannick Bolasie is brought in.

He’s been happy to point out the relative cheapness of John McGinn and Conor Hourihane. Seemingly not so ready to talk about the cost of Scott Hogan. Weird that. I guess he was involved with the financial side of the first two but not with Scotty. It’s almost definitely that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

45% win rate while playing dire football with the biggest budget in the league. Yes he did some good things but was an absolute failure

We should have been fighting Wolves neck and neck for the title in 17/18 

This for me.

We had a really brilliant squad and autos should've been the aim. I think Deano is a really crap manager, but at least he took us up (again, should've been autos).

• Like 1

I saw plenty to suggest he was a terrible manager.

Not sure I saw much to indicate he was a terrible person. 

Glad he left, but would never wish him any ill will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I saw plenty to suggest he was a terrible manager.

Not sure I saw much to indicate he was a terrible person. 

Glad he left, but would never wish him any ill will.

isnt he a slum landlord

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'd not heard that. Is that true? If so I take it back.

I can't find a link to the story, but what I'd read a few years ago was that one of his properties was covered in mold, and the single mother renting it was in hospital with her two sons who'd got infectious eczema, likely caused by the mold. She fell behind on her rent payments, and he took her to court to get her evicted, whilst also claiming the money back from the government. This may not be entirely accurate, but it was quite a big story at the time.

• Shocked 2

Â