Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

With his big pay off and years of criticism you would think he would show some character and try ti dhut a few people up by taking a year off and travel Europe to study how to be a real coach

He wont

Ahh I remember when Lambert went to watch too coaches across Europe, I was all optimistic he was going to come back and blow us away with what he learnt… he didn’t. 

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Ahh I remember when Lambert went to watch too coaches across Europe, I was all optimistic he was going to come back and blow us away with what he learnt… he didn’t. 

He went to Bayern to watch Guardiola.

Tried to play possession football after that…it lasted 45 minutes 😀

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Danny Murphy has some stiff competition, but he really is the most stupid man in punditry, isn't he? 

appreciate there is a whole other punditry thread, but there's no contest. he's a moron.

i can see bruce retiring or even going into punditry himself after this. £8m is a nice little retirement package

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

appreciate there is a whole other punditry thread, but there's no contest. he's a moron.

i can see bruce retiring or even going into punditry himself after this. £8m is a nice little retirement package

Seconded. I'd rather have Bruce as a pundit. At least he could give expert analysis on the post pub kebab choice.

Edited by The Fun Factory

On 09/10/2021 at 18:55, Tommo_b said:

He went to Dortmund and came back saying 'the player in the pocket behind the striker... I call them number 10's'

So does everyone lambert you tool

• Haha 2

I would say Bruce is a better manager than Lambert. But that is not saying a lot. 

Bruce has been consistently mediocre for about 20 years. Lambert was good at Norwich for about 2 years and utterly dreadful since.

Edit-Bruce has a 37.6% win percentage compared to 37.3% for Lambert which is equally poor. I think I was mislead as we won a lot more under Bruce than Lambert as we were a Championship side rather than Premier League.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I think most would agree that Bruce is a better manager than Lambert, he’s had the better career in management.

Although as a single tenure, I think what Lambert did at Norwich easily surpasses anything Bruce achieved in management.

49 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I'd still like to see Bruce manage the main rivals of Huddersfield, Hull, Wigan and Crystal Palace just to complete the full set, and because it's funny to see the trail of misery he leaves behind everywhere he goes now that is no longer being inflicted upon us.

Edited by fightoffyour

Old school managers won't survive long term at the highest level against modern methods, and owners are starting to wise up to this fact.  There have been so many advances in terms of the science of sport over the past 10-15 years (eg nutrition, strength and conditioning, injury recovery/prevention, team/individual performance KPIs, sports psychology, etc.) that pure old school methods of man motivation and high-level tactics will only get you so far at the highest level of the sport.  There is a reason why managers like Pulis, Bruce, Big Sam, Dyche, etc. will never get the opportunity to manage a top side, and that's because the owners of these clubs now are increasingly becoming more and more educated on the idea of sport as a business, and if you cannot talk to an owner as to how you manage your section of the business in leading/lagging metrics, than you aren't the right person for the job.  They'll find a Johnny Foreigner who can and has done so already in another country. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Presumably that's compared to other sides just this season?  I can't see how Newcastle could be 18th for points/game and not have been relegated otherwise.

Probably from the 20 teams in the league now, think Watford and Norwich below them. Brentford start would have them high up

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Presumably that's compared to other sides just this season?  I can't see how Newcastle could be 18th for points/game and not have been relegated otherwise.

Yeah those are some strange stats to attach a PL rank to. Home wins? Yeah of course he’s got more than Norwich, they’ve been in the championship for at least one of those seasons.

On 09/10/2021 at 18:55, Tommo_b said:

To be fair to Lambert… which often I’m not… He wasn’t dealt a very good hand with regards to players he was allowed to sign was he? By that point, Lerner had taken his (money)ball and was trying to go home

On 12/10/2021 at 01:03, KMitch said:

Old school managers won't survive long term at the highest level against modern methods, and owners are starting to wise up to this fact.  There have been so many advances in terms of the science of sport over the past 10-15 years (eg nutrition, strength and conditioning, injury recovery/prevention, team/individual performance KPIs, sports psychology, etc.) that pure old school methods of man motivation and high-level tactics will only get you so far at the highest level of the sport.  There is a reason why managers like Pulis, Bruce, Big Sam, Dyche, etc. will never get the opportunity to manage a top side, and that's because the owners of these clubs now are increasingly becoming more and more educated on the idea of sport as a business, and if you cannot talk to an owner as to how you manage your section of the business in leading/lagging metrics, than you aren't the right person for the job.  They'll find a Johnny Foreigner who can and has done so already in another country. 

Don’t agree with this. Sport has always evolved, it’s whether you have the resources available to you as a coach to evolve. Ferguson was an old school coach and still out coached modern day coaches because he evolved and had the resources to do so.

Sport science is an important factor, but it still comes down to man management and being tactically astute.

On 11/10/2021 at 15:51, Mark Albrighton said:

I think most would agree that Bruce is a better manager than Lambert, he’s had the better career in management.

Although as a single tenure, I think what Lambert did at Norwich easily surpasses anything Bruce achieved in management.

Yes, in the same way being punched in the face is better than being kicked in the nuts!

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

e73770alvlt71.png

To be fair he has had to beg borrow and steal like he did at Villa.

Jesus, that is terrible! Can't believe he has a net spend approaching 100m !!!!

Â