Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

John McGinn says hi.

Easily the best player we've signed for a decade or longer, and he only cost £2.5M.

But Bruce did nothing but harm right?

Built nothing.

Brilliant signing.

How would McGinn have done if Steve had stayed? He'd have been suffocated like every other player we had.

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

John McGinn says hi.

Easily the best player we've signed for a decade or longer, and he only cost £2.5M.

But Bruce did nothing but harm right?

It takes a whole lot more than just buying players to build something. You need to integrate them, create team spirit, find the tactics that suit them and probably most importantly, don't play them at right back.

Furthermore, for every John McGinn there's a Henri Lansbury whose contributed **** all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

It takes a whole lot more than just buying players to build something. You need to integrate them, create team spirit, find the tactics that suit them and probably most importantly, don't play them at right back.

Furthermore, for every John McGinn there's a Henri Lansbury whose contributed **** all.

The team spirit last year under Bruce was probably the best i have ever seen at Villa since the early 80's

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

The team spirit last year under Bruce was probably the best i have ever seen at Villa since the early 80's

Blimey.

Better than Big Ron years challenging for the league? Better than winning cups under Little? Better than chasing Champions League under MON? Better than last season winning 10 games in a row and winning promotion?

Bruce's bull really got into some people's minds. Don't forget he did it spending no money and with the fans against him now.

• Like 1

Over the course of the whole season yes. Obviously most of it was down to Snodgrass & Terry an winning 24 games helped but this is really what started off all the oasis crap after the games & the mucking about with commentaries on youtube etc. After the years of shit it really started to turn last year and you could see everyone was in it together. The Xia tweets and the club social media in general all seemed to be much more positive and light hearted an the players were ovbiously on board with what they were trying to do.

Sure it didn't work out but i Don't think anything that happened this season would have happened without last year being the way it was.

For all of the criticisms we smashed loads of old streaks under bruce that we hadn't come close to for 20 years or more, 7 wins back to back, 5 in a row at home, 4/5 clean sheets back to back etc, All of these have a positive effect on both team & fans

I would still say that Terry is a massive part of the spirit now despite his seemingly part-time assistant role

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 1

Bruce like Lambert before live off a mythical reputation of following a shit regime. Bruce was poison and for some gems he had more flops. Cared more for his reputation than Villa

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bruce had a lot of faults, he ultimately failed in his goal here and he was rightly sacked and should have been sacked sooner.

But the rewriting of his tenure by some and the dismissing of anything good he did is hilarious.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bruce like Lambert before live off a mythical reputation of following a shit regime. Bruce was poison and for some gems he had more flops. Cared more for his reputation than Villa

Mythical? I think he had the best record of any manager getting out the Championship didn't he?

It didn't work out at Villa although it very nearly did. I also think Villa were right to sack him when they did as things were going a bit stale.

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ah sorry, I forgot how good we'd actually been in the 12 months prior to Bruce's arrival..............

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think you are being very harsh on Lambert.

He got the job through producing a very exciting and free flowing Norwich City.

He rocked up here to be well and truly  shafted by Learner - and for this, the true Paul Lambert will never be seen again.

Dont think you should lump him in the same boat as Bruce tbh with you imo 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I think you are being very harsh on Lambert.

He got the job through producing a very exciting and free flowing Norwich City.

He rocked up here to be well and truly  shafted by Learner - and for this, the true Paul Lambert will never be seen again.

Dont think you should lump him in the same boat as Bruce tbh with you imo 

No.

Lamebert was worse. Fraud of a manager who got lucky at one club.

• Like 4

How anyone can defend him is beyond me, he failed miserably with the most expensively assembled squad the championship has ever seen, the football was non existent, you couldn't even say it was in the style of someone like Pullis because at least he actually has tactics, with Bruce it's just a case of getting stuck in, and hoping to get a goal of a setpiece or that someone comes up with a wonder goal,  he also played his part in the financial mess that the club found itself in last summer, and of which we're still feeling the repurcussion now. Not only that the way he acts as if he can't be criticized, and it's always someone else's fault.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Bruce had a lot of faults, he ultimately failed in his goal here and he was rightly sacked and should have been sacked sooner.

But the rewriting of his tenure by some and the dismissing of anything good he did is hilarious.

Equal measures really. Hogan and McGinn, the good and the bad. He'd get a better time from the fans of he hadn't have been such a word removed towards those who cheered his name loud even on the bad days.

Lambert peformed miracles in keeping us in the Premier league, even when he was sacked we were only in the relegation zone on goal difference with I think it was twelve games still left to go. As soon as he left the club look what happened.

Â