Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the defensive side of our offensive players is poor

I think the opposite. And in a twisted way, it's part of the problem. Albert, Jack, Elmo Connor, even to a degree Jimmy Danger all make a real effort to retrieve the ball, to fight for it, track players, cover full-backs etc. And they're told to by Bruce. Which is all commendable....

...but, in selecting (say) a wide player(s) who put in a defensive shift, rather than perhaps more skilled attacking  wide players, we lose something going forward. Partly he does it because (IMO) Taylor's poor and Axel's learning the game. But in reducing attacking options to improve defensive cover, he weakens our forward play.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Are we the only team in the CH which makes it compulsory for FB's to take throw-ins?

We do **** all from throws. Been an issue at Villa for years. It's seems to be part of the relaxed culture at the club. When we get a throw in everyone just stands there, zero movement or plan at all and the guy taking the throw in ends up just throwing the ball in a random direction. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think the opposite. And in a twisted way, it's part of the problem. Albert, Jack, Elmo Connor, even to a degree Jimmy Danger all make a real effort to retrieve the ball, to fight for it, track players, cover full-backs etc. And they're told to by Bruce. Which is all commendable....

...but, in selecting (say) a wide player(s) who put in a defensive shift, rather than perhaps more skilled attacking  wide players, we lose something going forward. Partly he does it because (IMO) Taylor's poor and Axel's learning the game. But in reducing attacking options to improve defensive cover, he weakens our forward play.

Its not really what I was alluding to Pete.....your point is valid.

What I meant by defensive side to their game was more to do with ball retention.....for me they lose it or get dispossessed too easily.....that's what I meant.

Its all very well in scurrying back....but they shouldn't lose it with such ease and regularity in the first place.....it puts the whole team on the back foot.

ps Remember " odd Job" losing his top hat to James Bond......That look/Expression on his face, resembles our players, when we lose the ball up front.

42 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

And at least one of our smaller players should be standing on the half way line when the opposition is taking their corner.

This has infuriated me for years.

I'd leave two up to be honest. The opposition are always going to leave an extra man back. If we have one up, they'll have 2 back. If we have 2 up they'll have 3 back.

(obviously there's a tipping point!)

Players like McGinn and Hourihane aren't going to do much defending from corners anyway. So you may as well leave them up and stretch the other team.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We do **** all from throws. Been an issue at Villa for years. It's seems to be part of the relaxed culture at the club. When we get a throw in everyone just stands there, zero movement or plan at all and the guy taking the throw in ends up just throwing the ball in a random direction. 

To be fair it isn't an entirely random direction.  I mean normally they do at least manage to aim somewhere within the correct 180 degree arc that is permitted! ?

Edited by allani

Just now, TRO said:

Its not really what I was alluding to Pete.....your point is valid.

What I meant by defensive side to their game was more to do with ball retention.....for me they lose it or get dispossessed too easily.....that's what I meant.

Its all very well in scurrying back....but they shouldn't lose it with such ease and regularity in the first place.....it puts the whole team on the back foot.

ps Remember " odd Job" losing his top hat to James Bond......That look/Expression on his face, resembles our players, when we lose the ball up front.

Yeah they lose it or get dispossessed not because they are bad players, but because we lack any kind of organisation. It's just fundamental that whoever is on the ball should have at least one easy option at all times to get rid of the ball keeping possession. We are not set up as a unit to keep the ball, so we lose it loads. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

This has infuriated me for years.

I'd leave two up to be honest. The opposition are always going to leave an extra man back. If we have one up, they'll have 2 back. If we have 2 up they'll have 3 back.

(obviously there's a tipping point!)

Players like McGinn and Hourihane aren't going to do much defending from corners anyway. So you may as well leave them up and stretch the other team.

Its the thing that amazes me most of all.

as if one player defending in the whole scheme of things will make much difference.....and yet up field can create so much havoc.

not only that the ball kicked out comes straight back in......it's non sensical.....it puts us on the back foot again.

We are worryingly becoming so easy and predictable to play against.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

To be fair it isn't an entirely random direction.  I mean normally they do at least manage to aim somewhere within the correct 180 degree arc that is permitted! ?

The last time we had a plan from throw ins was MON and the chuck up the line for a flick on and try and run in behind to get it routine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

The last time we had a plan from throw ins was MON and the chuck up the line for a flick on and try and run in behind to get it routine. 

I remember the Cuellar long throw very well. He struggled get it into the box and surprised he didn't do his back in with the technique he was using ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah they lose it or get dispossessed not because they are bad players, but because we lack any kind of organisation. It's just fundamental that whoever is on the ball should have at least one easy option at all times to get rid of the ball keeping possession. We are not set up as a unit to keep the ball, so we lose it loads. 

That and the fact that most of the time they are "receiving" the ball - it has been banged up in the air for 50m by the back line.  Meaning that not only is it difficult to control but also that the defender has had 3 seconds to "compete" for the ball or position himself to pressure the player off the ball immediately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allani said:

That and the fact that most of the time they are "receiving" the ball - it has been banged up in the air for 50m by the back line.  Meaning that not only is it difficult to control but also that the defender has had 3 seconds to "compete" for the ball or position himself to pressure the player off the ball immediately.

Going long is a symptom of the same problem though, give the CBs or FBs an easy out ball or two and they don't have to smack it at a hapless attacker with their back to goal....

• Haha 1

Just now, romavillan said:

Going long is a symptom of the same problem though, give the CBs or FBs an easy out ball or two and they don't have to smack it at a hapless attacker with their back to goal....

The trouble is that from what I have seen the "smack it" seems to be the first option - the defenders appear to look upfield first rather than the area around them.  It doesn't look like the defenders are looking for an "easy out" or that their understanding that the "easy out" is the pump it long option.

Â