Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, blandy said:

True. My guess is he'll be gone in 12 months one way or the other, and we'll not trouble his open thoughts too much.

What will be the circumstances? He'll fail to get us up? Or Dr. T will replace him once he has got us up with a sexy continental manager (my preferred outcome)

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What will be the circumstances? He'll fail to get us up? Or Dr. T will replace him once he has got us up with a sexy continental manager (my preferred outcome)

Either. Probably the former.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Having seen Dr X's first go at appointing a sexy continental manager, I truly hope he will take a back seat and stick with the same advice that got us unsexy, game-winning, point gathering potato face.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't mean this in a disrespectful manner in any way shape or form. but I question all our abilities to appraise players. my question is ( and it is not a loaded question aimed at any individual).... have we unintentionally lowered our own standards in appraising our players in order to show a brave and positive face.

Totally. I thanked Sherwood on here for pointing it out to me at the time too. There are many examples. but I would say the Hutton thread is the best one at the moment. Not good enough, never will be, never has been. That's not his fault. I've been through the full range of it with Hutton. He's not as good as Walker but he'll do a job, oh he's a bit dirty, oh he's really shit, oh he's off to mallorca, laugh at ball control skills at signing ceremony for the media until the day I die, he should never play for us again, oh actually maybe he's better than what we have, respect to him for putting in the hard work only one of the bomb squad etc etc, oh no I was right before - he's really shit. And yet there are still people on there saying WE are too harsh on him? And that we should praise him for putting in a shift. Instead of just accepting the reality which is that our highest paid right back for the last 6 seasons has been, is, and always will be substandard.

Too pessimistic for me, the last few pages.

Since Bruce arrived we average nearly two points per game which would've been automatic promotion over a full season.

I think that accurately reflects both the ability and depth ( lack of) of our squad. I reckon under Bruce we could give any of the lower half of the Premier League a decent game.... and equally anyone in our League.

We are at present in the top 30 odd teams in the country....and improving. it's not the end of the world!!

A couple of defeats make life tough but when all is said and done is it really so bad losing to Spurs ?

I think Brucie could be a tad more attacking, and as a side we should be considerably nastier and tougher, but I don't share the view that he CANT play decent football or that we are like a terminally ill patient.

And I don't think we suffer from misplaced optimism, we do have decent players. We are lacking a couple of positions and that makes all the difference.

Couple of wins on the bounce we will be right in the mix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Having seen Dr X's first go at appointing a sexy continental manager, I truly hope he will take a back seat and stick with the same advice that got us unsexy, game-winning, point gathering potato face.

I wouldn't say RDM was that sexy. 5.5/10 WNB

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

How do they look together? I thought Green looked good in pre-season.

im not there got a bloody chest infection, theres about 15 kiddy lions sat having a drink with him in their box area

edit: they're drinking i dont think he is ;)

Edited by villa4europe

What would VT say if we went for a real marquee signing ala the Chinese clubs? There's a risk of doing a Blackburn and people say they wouldn't come but we've seen they will if the money's right. Could we even afford to do it?

Even ignoring this it's clear we have been cocking up majorly in the last 5 years. We have ended up spending £15 mil on 3-5 no hopers instead of spending that on one actual quality player.

There were people criticising him when we were storming up the table after a complete 180 degree turnaround.  It's hardly surprising a that a downturn in the points accumulation has resulted in a round of Bruce bashing. 

It will always be the same.  Even if we get promoted and do well in the Premier League at the first sign of any downturn there will be baying for blood far more quickly than for most other managers we could have had. 

• Like 3

One thing - our new manager clearly has magic powers. We missed out on the 1992-3 title by 10 points so if a headed goal by Steve Bruce (against whoever it was) managed to create that 10 point gap, we need him to coach our players about how to achieve the same. Imagine - Gabby heads in a goal and in a flash we move up to 45 points! :)

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Imagine - Gabby heads in a goal and in a flash we move up to 45 points! :)

By the time Gaby heads in a goal we'll already have 45pts next season

• Like 2

Â