Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

thought he got system spot on today, frustrated Spurs and with bit of luck we could have got a goal and snatched it but not to be. 1-0 he made subs and gave kids a run-out was a good move too

• Like 1

Yep, in previous seasons this match could have been embarrassing but I think we can take a bit of pride out of that.  I think I'd have given McCormack a start though, it can't have done his confidence any good having Gabby selected instead of him.

The approach was bang on today. Going at them like the idiots on BBC suggested would've been suicide, you could see towards the end when our defensive structure eased up how much Spurs were getting through.

18 minutes ago, Mantis said:

But you know that if we'd gone there and "had a go" and conceded 3 in the first 20 minutes he'd be criticising us for being naive. Murphy is a word removed of the highest order.

I particularly enjoyed him talking about Spurs getting a new stadium and how they "fill their stadium every week"...

...whilst the camera panned to empty seats, and our fans were signing "empty seats m'lord, empty seats!".

He also likes to talk about himself a lot.  "When I went to Liverpool, I had an offer from Tottenham too.  There was no other team I was going to move to, but y'know...".  Yeah, great insight on the match Danny. Great insight.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I don't think it's unquestionable he's doing a good job. We have an insanely expensively-assembled side and we are not really progressing and have not really played well since Brighton. Yes it will take time but he is not picking his best players nor getting close to the best out of them. The football we are playing is not progressive. We play on the counter at home to Burton, we are out-played by Leeds.

We have bought two of the best players in the Championship, along with numerous other very good players at this level.

We are not looking to get between the lines or controlling the play, we are looking for the long ball. The movement is poor. We have good enough players to control games at this level, but aren't. I don't think Bruce is doing a bad job, but like you said it is far too negative - for me at least. We certainly look far more solid but seem so happy to give the ball away rather than keep it - this isn't about today, it is a general observation.

It worries me that Bunn is clearly told to go long when he often has a simple short option. It worries me that a runner like Gardner is favoured over a progressive, dynamic ball-player like Tshibola. It worries me that runners like Bacuna are favoured over quality players like Ayew. It worries me that Jedinak and McCormack are still clearly not fit.

I do believe he has the full capability to get us up the table, and a transfer window will help him. I do expect more though. He is very much a British manager, but football is evolving beyond "shut-up-shop" and "anywhere will do". Huddersfield, Wednesday and Reading are good examples of this and they are all above us in the table having spent far less. I get their managers have had more time, but they weren't playing in this manner.

Our net spend is higher than most top clubs in Europe and we have scored fewer goals than all but 1 of the top 14 of the Championship.

Can't we at least get January out the way before we have to deal with everyone's favourite phrase net spend? ;)

Totally set us up to avoid a stuffing but with zero chance of winning. There is so little creativity in this team it's scary. Grealish is supposed to be it but sadly he's dire usually.

I actually think that's as close to a "thrown" game as you'll see.

I don't think any pride can be taken but we avoided the embarrassment of a heavy defeat at the cost of a chance to progress in the cup against an awful Spurs performance.

More important things this season than the FA cup sadly.

It's about balance, not gung no V parking the bus, and IMO he clearly favours the balance to be hard to play against rather than being more on the front foot.

As I've said I can see why, but it is too far that way IMO....Whether today or other days. Spurs with their changes were not ' there for the taking' but neither did they deserve quite the level of caution we showed, especially in a Cup game.

Also, as recent weeks have shown, we aren't really good enough to play defensively successfully for a full game.

I don't think there is much in it, but more emphasis on playing a bit, passing and moving, and getting players forward,....We can do it, we did today towards the end, and we have in patches before, just get that balance better.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I don't think it's unquestionable he's doing a good job. We have an insanely expensively-assembled side and we are not really progressing and have not really played well since Brighton. Yes it will take time but he is not picking his best players nor getting close to the best out of them. The football we are playing is not progressive. We play on the counter at home to Burton, we are out-played by Leeds.

We have bought two of the best players in the Championship, along with numerous other very good players at this level.

We are not looking to get between the lines or controlling the play, we are looking for the long ball. The movement is poor. We have good enough players to control games at this level, but aren't. I don't think Bruce is doing a bad job, but like you said it is far too negative - for me at least. We certainly look far more solid but seem so happy to give the ball away rather than keep it - this isn't about today, it is a general observation.

It worries me that Bunn is clearly told to go long when he often has a simple short option. It worries me that a runner like Gardner is favoured over a progressive, dynamic ball-player like Tshibola. It worries me that runners like Bacuna are favoured over quality players like Ayew. It worries me that Jedinak and McCormack are still clearly not fit.

I do believe he has the full capability to get us up the table, and a transfer window will help him. I do expect more though. He is very much a British manager, but football is evolving beyond "shut-up-shop" and "anywhere will do". Huddersfield, Wednesday and Reading are good examples of this and they are all above us in the table having spent far less. I get their managers have had more time, but they weren't playing in this manner.

Our net spend is higher than most top clubs in Europe and we have scored fewer goals than all but 1 of the top 14 of the Championship.

I didn't want SB here and still think he is the wrong choice for us......however, I do have to take issue with most of your post

He's had 14 league games, so give the bloke a break. During that time, whilst taking over a massively unbalanced squad at rock-bottom confidence-wise he has found a way to deliver play-off form (only Newcastle, Brighton, Derby, Reading and Leeds have better points return during his 14 games)

Huddersfield who you are praising have delivered four points less than us since Bruce has been here

As regard the squad, he has inherited someone elses warped idea of what is required to progress in the championship. I'm sure Westwood, Gardner and Bacuna are not the choices he would like in his midfield but he needs to have shape and legs not just flair players

I don't agree that he is not picking his best players. I don't agree that Tshibola is a "dynamic ball-player", I don't agree that Ayew is doing enough to warrant a regualr starting spot (and perhaps tha fact that he is missing for a month might have something to do with why SB is looking for other options). I don't agree that the blame for (your view of) Jedinak and McCormack's fitness is Bruce's fault - he's been here 12 weeks. The kind of fitness you are talking about is built in pre-season and takes much much more time (Jedinak is unlikely to ever be much fitter than he is now imo)

I like Bruce as a bloke, but as I say I'm not a fan as a long term choice for us, however, the time for true judgement will be in a few months time once he's bought three or four in and has further chance to work with the squad.

It's hard to imagine what you expect if you are disappointed at progress so far

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

thought he got system spot on today, frustrated Spurs and with bit of luck we could have got a goal and snatched it but not to be. 1-0 he made subs and gave kids a run-out was a good move too

And me, think the only problem today was gabby, the system worked, we had a great chance at 0-0, needed more set pieces

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I have to say, I like Bruce, but when he said that Spurs are one of the biggest clubs in England and we are "just going to enjoy the occasion", I felt sick.

Unfortunately it is factually correct though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yep, especially baring in mid we are a mid table Championship club. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Bruce is unquestionably doing a good job.

But I can't escape the thought, yet again today, that he may be too negative ( albeit in a thouroughly understandable desire to build resilience and stop the rot of a perpetually losing team).

I just think today, and pretty much every other game since he has been here, we have looked better when on the front foot. If he could just tweak it 20% more that way I think we'd be better for it.

I share your frustration Terry.

however, I don't think we have the players to play the game you are suggesting Terry.

I think SB was trying to preserve what bit of confidence he has been able to instill in a side to continue the slim chances of the play offs.

I don't think think this team is good enough to the tune of about 5-6 players.

not only the obvious Midfield, I am not convinced by the full backs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I'm off social media right now, as I am trying to finish my book. My friend just sent me a link to this though:

He needs taking down.

I thought the season before was worse.

4 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I'm off social media right now, as I am trying to finish my book. My friend just sent me a link to this though:

He needs taking down.

Who is Andrew cryer?

Why does his opinion matter so much, especially in a cup game against a team in the top four of the prem? 

47 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I have to say, I like Bruce, but when he said that Spurs are one of the biggest clubs in England and we are "just going to enjoy the occasion", I felt sick.

I think he maybe talking about their current team status.

we along with Everton & Spurs was at one time in touching distance of each other.

Today its a gulf like the Grand Canyon.

their respective best players......all young and up and coming....not big money transfers.

Spurs :

• Kane
  • Alli
  • Dier
  • not to mention the Bale value.

Everton :

• Barclay
  • Coleman

I understand your feeling but it just goes to show the collapse of the football side of our club.....as much as we all say we know, the demise cannot be swept under the carpet on the pitch.

We have been beaten this year comprehensively by teams that were in our shadow a few years ago......such is the level of the collapse.

You only have to look at those 2 clubs in the transfer market, and young player development compared to us, its staggering what has happened.

The 6 years of demise has been like a Tsunami to us......SB/ SR & TX will not clear this debris up in one season.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DK82 said:

He needs taking down.

Spurs probably paid something similar for Sissoko and Janssen :huh:

• Like 1

Â