Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I share your frustration Terry.

however, I don't think we have the players to play the game you are suggesting Terry.

I think SB was trying to preserve what bit of confidence he has been able to instill in a side to continue the slim chances of the play offs.

I don't think think this team is good enough to the tune of about 5-6 players.

not only the obvious Midfield, I am not convinced by the full backs.

Fair enough but I'm not suggesting anything crazy....And I agree his main goal is to stop the rot.

I've seen many teams with poorer players adopt more positive approaches especially in the cup and do fine.

I've been at Villa when League 1 or 2 sides have come with positivity and aggression and scared us or beaten us.

I fully get the leaning towards caution, but think he overdoes it. I share your views on players needed but equally I think Amavi is better going forward, so is Bacuna, Grealish, and Adomah. Whilst there was/is a clear need to tighten up I think he is overdoing it and in danger of snuffing out such attacking talent as we do have.

In the early part of RDMs reign it always felt like sooner or later the attack would destroy somebody, but that we would still be very brittle. Now we've lost the brittleness but look like we will only ever win by the odd goal - which, as we are seeing, can also mean we don't win !

I just think the balanced is too much one way....When have we looked best this season ? Brighton when we threw off the shackles and played....Other games when we've tried to have a go.... It IS possible..... I think the settled back four plus two midfielders should be enough for the majority of the game, let the other four lose the shackles and attack a bit more.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who are these players please?  The game is controlled from midfield and our midfield is not good enough to control a highly trained police dog. 

Which is why i think that in spite of how poor we have looked at times, we are just a couple of midfield players away from a decent Championship team. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Spurs probably paid something similar for Sissoko and Janssen :huh:

I don't use twitter, if i did, i think i would ask him how he would prefer to spend 50/60 odd million pound. 

I) Aston Villa football club. 

II) Sissokho, Jansen, Nacer Chadli

rocket polisher

Not convinced. Prior to today's game I dislike the way he talked us down in press conferences and joked about signing Tottenham players which essentially has undermined our club. The press love him. 1992 We lost the league to dodgy time keeping and his headers. I can forgive him for that but he has always had no care for Villa. Please Bruce prove me wrong but I have old scars.

Edited by ReasonforRevolution

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What the what are you talking about here please? Kindly elaborate this theory more fully.

We were looking good to win the league in 92/93 and Fergie time was implemented. He scored the headers against Sheffield Wednesday that cost us the league. Petty of me but it could of been so different. As I say I can't hold that against him and never will. I will support the team but I have bad memories of Bruce. From that game to celebrating that Enkleman mistake. I should let it go and that is my problem. The concern is I question his loyalty for this football club. 

I hope he gets a few of his own signings in quick and we start seeing an improvement in our style of play cus atm we are pretty dire in midfield and attack. The keeper he signed looks quality so hopefully thats a sign of things to come. 

• Like 1

Is this for real ? Bruce is getting stick now for things he did as an employee of another club that were to their benefit and our detriment ? 

It's fair game to question his tactics, team selections, signings etc etc, but be reasonable the past is past and I don't ever remember him giving anything other than 100% as a player or manager for any club he has been at.

Anyway, according to the BBC gossip pages he might be off to Melbourne City, and if that's true we really would have problems (and reason to question his loyalty).

Melbourne City

• Like 3

I don't mean this in a disrespectful manner in any way shape or form.

but I question all our abilities to appraise players.

my question is ( and it is not a loaded question aimed at any individual).... have we unintentionally lowered our own standards in appraising our players in order to show a brave and positive face.

I seen league 2 teams put more in to it the week end than we could muster particularly at Cardiff.

For me, we still have players that look like they have a hangover from last season.

Their running off the ball seems without purpose or objective, their work on ball requires several touches and looks untidy, we really do look low in quality at times....we also struggle when we are pressed or closed down, we are absent of ideas

not saying I'm surprised or it shouldn't be under the circumstances.....just alluding to this being a massive job IMO.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dukes said:

Anyway, according to the BBC gossip pages he might be off to Melbourne City, and if that's true we really would have problems (and reason to question his loyalty).

Melbourne City

I just choked on my tea!

Why would he want to come to Melbourne City?

The comp is very short compared to the rigors of the Championship....

... it's level is below the standard of the Championship too....

... there is no relegation or promotion....

... there is a salary cap in place so teams can't just buy the league....

... we play in the sunshine during the summer.....

... I'll shut up now.

4 hours ago, dukes said:

Is this for real ? Bruce is getting stick now for things he did as an employee of another club that were to their benefit and our detriment ? 

It's fair game to question his tactics, team selections, signings etc etc, but be reasonable the past is past and I don't ever remember him giving anything other than 100% as a player or manager for any club he has been at.

Melbourne City

I don't quite understand the series of events

who is supposedly off to Melbourne city?

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't quite understand the series of events

who is supposedly off to Melbourne city?

Well according to the BBC Gossip pages Bruce is linked (this is the Steve Bruce thread ...right ?)

"A "former Premier League manager and FA Cup finalist" is rumoured to be a contender to fill the vacancy at Australian side Melbourne City - with Alan Curbishley, Avram Grant, Steve Bruce, Kenny Dalglish, Dennis Wise, Gordon Strachan and Dave Jones among the names linked. (Adelaide Now)"

Melbourne City

Although when you read the actual article from Adelaide Now it's is exactly as you might expect total BS

Edited by dukes

2 minutes ago, dukes said:

Well according to the BBC Gossip pages Bruce is linked (this is the Steve Bruce thread ...right ?)

"A "former Premier League manager and FA Cup finalist" is rumoured to be a contender to fill the vacancy at Australian side Melbourne City - with Alan Curbishley, Avram Grant, Steve Bruce, Kenny Dalglish, Dennis Wise, Gordon Strachan and Dave Jones among the names linked. (Adelaide Now)"

Melbourne City

Although when you read the actual article from Adelaide Now it's is exactly as you might expect total BS

Thanks

but what confused me was.......Steve Bruce has already said he has the job he always wanted.....He said its the biggest job he has ever had.

sounds like a contented soul to me.?

especially when/if he gets the time to finish the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thanks

but what confused me was.......Steve Bruce has already said he has the job he always wanted.....He said its the biggest job he has ever had.

sounds like a contented soul to me.?

especially when/if he gets the time to finish the job.

Like I said it's total BS, but Villa fans criticising him for what he did in the past should be aware that he could just as easily leave us as he did Wigan, Crystal Palace and Hull (there may be others), he isn't bothered about having another job, has self belief (quite rightly) and at this moment in time we need him more than he probably needs us (despite him making all the right noises about the club and the job at hand).

There are many things to have a gripe about with nay manager, but his actions (and those of a referee) have no relevance on his ability to do this job, nor should any fan hold them against him.

If Bruce makes a hash of this job, where would we go next ? Whereas being honest most clubs in this division and a few in the Premier League would love to have him as their manager. Fans should wake up

• Like 1

Â