Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

who would I like to see Steve Bruce sign, if he could.....in reality?

• Matt Smith
  • Pontus Jansson

Or players of a similar ilk.

I think those 2 guys would give us Contrast and help us cope better with the rigours and physicality of this league.

If we can keep Jack and all our others players who undoubtedly have guile.....These 2 will chaperone our guile players by dominant play more effectively and create chances we never made last season.

Albert would have a target....and James Chester would not be bullied or out muscled quite so easily.....Jed may not be required and more mobility in midfield could be employed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Where's the excuses.....you are a fine one to talk.

• You think he plays the wrong type of football and seems to directly blame him for many aspects of how we play, yet some are not his fault, but you fail to reveal that.....its an easy cop out.....The players have to take responsibility too, for certain aspects
    • He sets us up wrong?
    • He plays cautious negative football?.....I don't really know what that means in specifics, I think it has a bit of a worrying generalisation attached to it.....I would like to play like Fulham, but we haven't got Sessegnon and Cairney or the hold up play of Mitrovic.
    • He buys the wrong players....too old, too slow?
    • The football is boring?
  • You too seem to blame him ,if the floodlights are not bright enough......don't make nebulous statements, say what you mean, not Bruce is shite.

A manager is responsible for the playing side of the football club....but you cannot blame him for every mortal error or misplaced pass, or failure to track back, or head a ball or foul throw.

I think a team needs a DM and at this level, we need physicality at Centre Half and Centre Forward.....like Dublin and UGO....so no, i make no apologies for saying we needed one.

I think we had some good players last season, but not quite got the balance right for me.....as for him setting up wrong, I disagree, I think the players we had could not dominate certain positions and it showed up in certain games......I am not blaming him for the play, I'm blaming him( if its the right word) for not signing the right players to play the right way.

If you read my posts properly, I defend him against things I disagree with ( If players fail to win headed challenges, I blame them not him.....If players fails a first touch, I blame them not him......I blame him for not signing ones that can, but not him for not carrying out the work).....you need to understand what is being said, even if you disagree.

I think Steve Bruce has done a really good job.....but in terms of promotion come up short.....and once again, if you can understand my reasoning....IMO he has done well at somethings and not so good at others.

How many times have we seen some managers do well at some clubs and not at others, some jobs take longer to get right, some have that bit of lady luck, that their decisions went right.....I think Jokanovic did with Mitrovic.

How many times has Warnock failed or had Dinosaur thrown at him or just plainly stitched up by directors who think they know better....His time at QPR was terrible the way he was treated, at Sheff Utd, not much better.

I have never suggested that Steve Bruce is perfect or defended him unconditionally.....but If I have a criticism, i will explain what it is, not just say he is shite or plays shite football.

For my sins, I believe managers generally play a style that suits their playing staff.....yes they have tendencies like Allardyce, Bruce and Pulis, who think clean sheet first......but why has Jack and Traore prospered under those guys, blimey Jay Jay Ococha was hardly boring.

They do attract criticisms which I think are over stated at times.

The most significant thing is though.....If we had of scored just One goal and not conceded....which could have been so feasible.....The tone on here in respect of the Manager would have been alarmingly contrasting.....We all have to weigh that up.

You've shown over these past 18 months, that in your desire to excuse bruce for any failure and continue to praise him that you ignore when anyone puts forward any argument or reasons, repeatedly claiming that all people say is bruce is shit. There have been many posts detailing concerns and reasons why people feel he is the wrong man. You choose to ignore them so you can blame anyone but him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

who would I like to see Steve Bruce sign, if he could.....in reality.

• Matt Smith
  • Pontus Jansson

Or players of a similar ilk.

I think those 2 guys would give us Contrast and help us cope better with the rigours and physicality of this league.

If we can keep Jack and all our others players who undoubtedly have guile.....These 2 will chaperone our guile players by dominant play more effectively and create chances we never made last season.

Albert would have a target....and James Chester would not be bullied or out muscled quite so easily.....Jed may not be required and more mobility in midfield could be employed.

Both good players but I doubt they are gettable for us now .

a great pity Bruce used a large chunk of available cash on hogan who in no way seemed to fit in with his game plan or playing style ,

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

The Doc himself has said that we need to make significant changes. If we go into next season with the same manager then that statement will just be so much hot air, and as such I believe a lot of Villa fans will start to have concerns about his stewardship of the club we all love. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The Doc himself has said that we need to make significant changes. If we go into next season with the same manager then that statement will just be so much hot air, and as such I believe a lot of Villa fans will start to have concerns about his stewardship of the club we all love. 

I think quite a few already have concerns about his stewardship - we need leadership and I’m not sure xia offers it .

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think quite a few already have concerns about his stewardship - we need leadership and I’m not sure xia offers it .

While I like the bloke, and he has had a great positive effect on the club since taking over, I do think he could be at a cross roads. This is his first truely big test. How he comes through it is vitally important for the immediate and longer term future of the club. 

• Like 1

I think he is done for. I also feel any jubilation will be short lived as Xia and co co struggle to find anyone who will work with no money, and selling on fan favourites.

im neutral on bruce staying or going. but i shudder at the thought of xia choosing a replacement.

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I don't think he is chief scout, it doesn't list scouts on the official website but wikipedia lists him as head of goalkeeper recruitment which to be fair is not of absolute importance.

Although as of right now we don't really have a first choice goalkeeper.

Coton was always leaving I believe. A member of staff from the previous regime. He certainly wasn't our chief scout and I think he only ever scouted goalkeepers. From what I remember he scouted Loris Karius for a while when we were a Premier League side, but since Bruce has come in, him and our goalkeeping coach seemed to have their own ideas on goalkeepers. E.g. Sam Johnstone. I am not sure if this means Bruce is staying but if he was I believe they'd have keepers in mind so he probably isn't needed.

Ian Atkins is our chief scout having a quick google.

Edited by VillaAlex

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Who could we get" is one of my favourites.

This is a common response of Bruce supporters and I remember seeing the same comment from Lambert supporters. They are measly words from people with little or no aspiration for success. I bet Wolves fans are grateful that their owners weren't so blinkered when they were going through the last days of the Lambert experiment!

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Coton was always leaving I believe. A member of staff from the previous regime. He certainly wasn't our chief scout and I think he only ever scouted goalkeepers. From what I remember he scouted Loris Karius for a while when we were a Premier League side, but since Bruce has come in, him and our goalkeeping coach seemed to have their own ideas on goalkeepers. E.g. Sam Johnstone. I am not sure if this means Bruce is staying but if he was I believe they'd have keepers in mind so he probably isn't needed.

Ian Atkins is our chief scout having a quick google.

Atkins round and wyness all have the Everton connection too.

Â