Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Fair point, I just don't know who can replace him. Derby have taken a massive risk which I personally think will end in failure so I would avoid that route and what experienced manager will be attracted to us. I don't know why we should stick with Bruce but I don't want to start again..... Again... I would take Eddie Howe in a heartbeat but the last time he left Bournemouth he went back to Bournemouth

Whoever comes in it’s a risk - one day though we must surely get it right . 

maybe there  is a young continental manager out there waiting for a chance - I have little faith in wyness getting it right so we can only hope . 

46 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Prior to last week, why would Bruce think he needed to change his ways when they have worked over and over again, especially to get out of this league. Maybe his first failure using this approach will be seen by him as a need to evolve a little. I'm happy for him to stay, mainly for the way he has changed Villa from a total and complete shambles to a half decent team (whatever will be left of it). People forget very quickly how shocking we were, for years. That shambles can't change overnight, it takes time and patience to succeed and without the ability to pump millions into it because of FFP it adds more time to that. Apart from the style of football I think he has been ok, some great games and some cracking atmospheres that I hadn't seen since MON. Anyone who watches Man U at the moment will realise it ain't just Villa who play negative "don't lose" football. Take this disappointment on the chin and get on with it.

Look, He had a go, and not got it right.....despite loving the players he signed, sometimes you look back and think, I thought it was right, but it wasn't.

I think he should carry on and get it right....He knows, of course he does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Whoever comes in it’s a risk - one day though we must surely get it right . 

maybe there  is a young continental manager out there waiting for a chance - I have little faith in wyness getting it right so we can only hope . 

Maybe it's Wyness that needs to go then. It's the most important few weeks in our recent history. Owner with possible itchy feet or an itchy trigger finger. 

Hey, don't mind me. Just poking my head in to see if any decisions had been made about our manager before the season starts.. In three months.. With a month long international tournament in between.

And a month of preseason. 

Two weeks after the transfer window opened. 

I'll pop back later then. 

Edited by Sam3773
I thought the season started about a year earlier.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Were we not in this financial position and if he could keep the squad together and add a couple than I’d agree with you , but we need to see major changes as xia has said and the team at Wembley will be ripped apart , 4 have gone already ,  therefore we need to look at a new policy where youth will play a big part and that is not of Bruce’s strengths .

i think it is best for all concerned that a change takes place now as if Bruce stays I can see it ending in tears pretty early in the new season . 

Eastie.....I seen all this with Gray, Deehan and Gidman going.....good players, very good players.

The end of the world was coming.

We singed Withe, Swain and somebody else can't quite remember.....my point is.

Its what they do on the pitch, not on the team sheet.

Peter Withe compensated for Andy and despite my love for Gidman, **** me Swain was top class.

Its not about who we release.....its all about what quality, we sign and that can be be very easily a modest signing.......yes Benteke was that.

Scouting judgement is crucial.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Hey, don't mind me. Just poking my head in to see if any decisions had been made about our manager before the season starts.. In three months.. With a month long international tournament in between.

And a month of preseason. 

Two weeks after the transfer window opened. 

I'll pop back later then. 

Dr Tony chose RDM as a good manager - because he was manager of a team when they won the European cup. Thats the level of thinking we are dealing with. Tony won't see a problem with dropping a manager in position late July IMO. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Steve Bruce doesn’t bring stability. He turned over about 30 players at Sunderland in 2 years and has turned over 27 players here in less than 2 years. The spine of the team including the captain will be gone next season. How is that stable??

It's our financial position that has caused certain players to leave, we simply can't afford them. Adding another new manager into the mix in my opinion won't help. We took a gamble on journeymen to get us through and it failed, who knows what needs to happen next. I personally would prefer it if we have someone in charge that acknowledges we are the biggest job in his career and not a stepping stone for a big time Charlie.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eastie.....I seen all this with Gray, Deehan and Gidman going.....good players, very good players.

Peter Withe compensated for Andy and despite my love for Gidman, **** me Swain was top class.

Its not about who we release.....its all about what quality, we sign and that can be be very easily a modest signing.......yes Benteke was that.

The difference is we had the best manager in my lifetime doing the hiring and firing back then and now we have Steve Bruce. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was there at the time too Tro - I’ve seen us pick up many good players cheaply and sell for great profit and new heroes come along to replace them , ie platt , Yorke etc too. 

‘However we do not have the finances now to replace the quality of players we lose and will end up in the free transfer and loan market in the main . 

‘Expectation levels will drop however and maybe the players can play with the shackles off - that however needs a manager with a more positive approach to football .

The most tellling words of the season were for me wyness interview on YouTube when he said - ‘Bruce hardly sleeps for fear of losing “ - how depressing that the CEO thought it was a good thing :( 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Stability only works if you have the right man - if you don’t have the right man then you don’t keep him for stability. 

Eastie.....Years ago, all the same things were being said.....but it wasn't Continental managers....it was just really managers.....The continental bit was just a cop out.

We all want the man to get us back to respectability.

If Ipswich had of beaten Boro' in 1981 ......would Ron Saunders, have been the man he is in our eyes, today?

Its all fine Margins, Mate.

We have the right manager, he needs to reposition us for next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eastie.....Years ago, all the same things were being said.....but it wasn't Continental managers....it was just really managers.....The continental bit was just a cop out.

We all want the man to get us back to respectability.

If Ipswich had of beaten Boro' in 1981 ......would Ron Saunders, have been the man he is in our eyes, today?

Its all fine Margins, Mate.

We have the right manager, he needs to reposition us for next season.

But you said on Friday it’s probably best for all if he goes? 

‘What has changed since then ? 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

If we find the right man this could be reboot of Aston Villa, I believe in what Tony Xia said, we cannot just look at the last two years but the last 10.  We have not had an identity or style of play since ONeill left.  Since then there has been no plan, no structure, no scouting and no continuity.  We lurched from one cock up to another and invested poorly.  We were giddy on Premiership money.

Now we are nearly back at square one, we have to be bold and we have to have a plan.  I have zero confidence in Bruce to build the next Aston Villa, he is simply too set in his ways.  He is a Manager in the old style, not a coach who will develop and being players on, he spent poorly and realistically the only positives I see people putting forward are that he has a decent black book for loans and the fact he is a good bloke who was here last year.  

We need something more, a good coaching group, a positive approach and most importantly someone who instils belief.  My biggest irritation has been Bruce downplaying the club and his team for the last two years.  You should believe that you are the best and are going to win, not this “we have no god given right to win” rubbish he spouts.  Let’s be bloody positive, have a plan and stick with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The difference is we had the best manager in my lifetime doing the hiring and firing back then and now we have Steve Bruce. 

No.....He was the best manager Dave, because its the results you want to wallow in.

Had he of failed in the Ipswich v Boro Game.....because we lost 2-0 at Highbury.......you would have a very different view imo.

I love the man, for what he did for us.....but lets get perspective in place.

Personally, I think.....Ron Saunders would be very pleased with what Steve Bruce has done....despite all our overall disappointment.

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

But you said on Friday it’s probably best for all if he goes? 

‘What has changed since then ? 

I think from his point of view, it might well be best... not necessarily from ours.

but equally....why do you agree with so much I write and then you change?

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think from his point of view, it might well be best... not necessarily from ours.

but equally....why do you agree with so much I write and then you change?

I don’t agree on steve Bruce - I agree with you on many other things . 

I have changed my opinion on Bruce a couple of times in his reign here but ultimately he has failed to achieve what he was brought to do , I agree it’s a very fine line between success and failure and really did want him to succeed. 

Edited by Eastie

10 minutes ago, macandally said:

If we find the right man this could be reboot of Aston Villa, I believe in what Tony Xia said, we cannot just look at the last two years but the last 10.  We have not had an identity or style of play since ONeill left.  Since then there has been no plan, no structure, no scouting and no continuity.  We lurched from one cock up to another and invested poorly.  We were giddy on Premiership money.

Now we are nearly back at square one, we have to be bold and we have to have a plan.  I have zero confidence in Bruce to build the next Aston Villa, he is simply too set in his ways.  He is a Manager in the old style, not a coach who will develop and being players on, he spent poorly and realistically the only positives I see people putting forward are that he has a decent black book for loans and the fact he is a good bloke who was here last year.  

We need something more, a good coaching group, a positive approach and most importantly someone who instils belief.  My biggest irritation has been Bruce downplaying the club and his team for the last two years.  You should believe that you are the best and are going to win, not this “we have no god given right to win” rubbish he spouts.  Let’s be bloody positive, have a plan and stick with it.

I for my sins.....do not believe in the coaching or the lack of it....has caused us not to get promotion.

Ron Saunders was no coach.

Neil Warnock, despite of what you think of him....has done it.

You are entitled to think of our manager, what you like and I am not totally convinced, but not in the same manner as you.....i have different issues.

But be sure of this.....the next man is no guarantee, be ready for it.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don’t agree on steve Bruce - I agree with you on many other things . 

The funny thing is Eastie.....I don't agree with Steve Bruce on some things.....But most of the things he gets criticised for on here for , I disagree with.

That is not the same as agreeing with him on everything......but if no one asks me, I am not going to say.

There is a subtle difference.

• Like 1

Â