Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Bruce has done a lot of good things for the club since joining. But he has failed with the most important target. His position needs to be reviewed based on available resources. It will be a disaster if the rumoured firesale happens. He is not one for developing youth and personally I think he should go.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Which is exactly what Jokanovic and Warnock did and Bruce didn’t. 

Yes, it ís.

but who is sure ,how many wanted it that way.....we did it because we thought we could.

winner takes all......so you could say, that was anything but a cautious approach.....some now would say reckless., some would say cavalier....hindsight is a wonderful pal, he is always right.

How many of Villa's hierarchy equally signed up to the notion.....How many fans thought it was a bad idea?

It didn't work.....and we are too financially strapped and many players are too old to try again with the same crew.

so a re-think is inevitable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Bruce has done a lot of good things for the club since joining. But he has failed with the most important target. His position needs to be reviewed based on available resources. It will be a disaster if the rumoured firesale happens. He is not one for developing youth and personally I think he should go.

I think both sides will take a good look at it.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There have been improvements but its not built on anything. Mainly it seems to be an attitude improvement, which will leave when players leave, terry already gone. 

He hasn't built a playing style or implemented a system. Now he starts to lose the individual talent he has relied far too much on, what is there? And i struggle to believe he was the only one who could have brought these improvements. 

Now we need to build, if we stick with Bruce it will be more wasted time. He failed. 

No, it wasn't built on young to medium aged players if thats what you mean.

We all knew that.....and we knew some players would not be with us in the Prem.

It was just a plan for getting up....rightly or wrongly.....well wrongly now.

The difference is we now have no money to  replace those players and to add salt to injury, just like snakes and ladders, we are not just miffed for  missing a ladder, but double miffed for landing on a snake.

We have been here before.....hook or by crook, we will find our way back....unfortunately ,for Villa fans, probably when we least expect it.

If ever a football club had the most inappropropriate motto.....its us.

**** me a director who fell in to a vat of Brandy must have come up with that one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Yes, it ís.

but who is sure ,how many wanted it that way.....we did it because we thought we could.

winner takes all......so you could say, that was anything but a cautious approach.....some now would say reckless., some would say cavalier....hindsight is a wonderful pal, he is always right.

How many of Villa's hierarchy equally signed up to the notion.....How many fans thought it was a bad idea?  

It didn't work.....and we are too financially strapped and many players are too old to try again with the same crew.

ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

especially the way it was done.  We went all in and put all our chips on "Safe hands Bruce" and his band of experienced oldsters.  I have said for 18 months that I feared it wouldn’t  work.  Hindsight for some?  Sure.  Me?  Not guilty.

I'll meet you half way.  He did a lot of good.  We got close.  

I will also agree that we were a bit schizophrenic.  The manager went extremely cautiously, while the owner and board were reckless and taking a huge risk backing that extremely cautious approach to the hilt.  Now we are F'd.   

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 23:30, DaveAV1 said:

Which is exactly what Jokanovic and Warnock did and Bruce didn’t. 

His transfers should be sackable offence. Over 20 million last season on

Hourihane - Decent

The rest he barely plays

Hogan - good player but doesn't work in Bruce setup so completely stupid buy

Lansbury - awful player. Don't know how anyone thinks he's good just because winning goal after long time out?

Bree - who knows. He barely used him

Bjarnasson - not a DM ok as an impact sub. Makes glorious through ball one minute then next minute has ball control of a baby elephant

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes, it ís.

I agree that Steve Bruce shouldn’t carry the can entirely for the strategy. But I doubt many will stick their heads above the parapet.

A wise man once said, “Success has many fathers, but failure is always a bastard”. 

• Like 1

Wyness needs shooting as well. Who the **** sanctioned 4 and half year contract on Taylor. Jesus Christ I thought we were past that after Bacunas ridiculous contract extension

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

His transfers should be sackable offence. Over 20 million last season on

Hourihane - Decent

The rest he barely plays

Hogan - good player but doesn't work in Bruce setup so completely stupid buy

Lansbury - awful player. Don't know how anyone thinks he's good just because winning goal after long time out?

Bree - who knows. He barely used him

Bjarnasson - not a DM ok as an impact sub. Makes glorious through ball one minute then next minute has ball control of a spastic

Bruce has been hit and miss, like many managers. The problem going forward is he never signed any gems from left field. Most were established players that he seemed to buy for that reason alone. He was never going to set the team up to take advantage of Hogan’s skill set, so why did he buy him?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Wyness needs shooting as well. Who the **** sanctioned 4 and half year contract on Taylor. Jesus Christ I thought we were past that after Bacunas ridiculous contract extension

He certainly needs looking at, depending how responsible he was for the big decision making. But we’ll get hauled over the coals for going off topic, so just to steer us back, he was a big backer of Steve Bruce. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is that right? 4 and a half years? Oh god I really thought we had learned. 

Were we utterly sure he would not have signed if only 3.5 was on offer? 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is that right? 4 and a half years? Oh god I really thought we had learned. 

Were we utterly sure he would not have signed if only 3.5 was on offer? 

From MOMS article

"Furthermore, Kieran Maguire (football finance expert) explained this week that players like Hogan have been given “eye-watering contracts” (Hogan reportedly on £40k-a-week).  Whilst Lansbury, Hogan, Neil Taylor and James Bree were all given four-and-half year contracts despite the fact that many of those players would have struggled to make the step up to the Premier League in the event of promotion."

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

From MOMS article

"Furthermore, Kieran Maguire (football finance expert) explained this week that players like Hogan have been given “eye-watering contracts” (Hogan reportedly on £40k-a-week).  Whilst Lansbury, Hogan, Neil Taylor and James Bree were all given four-and-half year contracts despite the fact that many of those players would have struggled to make the step up to the Premier League in the event of promotion."

f***ing marvelous 

(if true)

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

From MOMS article

Thats madness,

I can half understand Hogan and Bree given those lengths as if they hit it off, it would protect us from the vultures (or at least ensure a big transfer fee) but the others on 4.5 year deals is just stupid, very stupid. 

9 hours ago, TRO said:

So a guy c10 years older, who has equally had more clubs than Jack Nicklolas....does it.

He brought in 4 players and paid for1......work that one out , with modern day football in mind

You are barking up the wrong tree mate.

We never got it right.....but what you're alluding to is fanciful.

You get the right players in the right positions doing the right job....and you are half way there....Neil Warnock did that.

Steve never got it quite right imo, but nearly did.

hindsight is an exact science, but we had a good go, with what we had.

Yet, he is now faced with complete opposite of a budget to that he had last year.. 

my comment was in regards to the coming season, its obvious we are going to have to use many players from the u23s and probably wont even be able to pick up any decent frees or loans 

He got close last year, with what many consider to be the best squad in the league (not to mention the most expensive one this league has ever seen). Even all the bookies had us down as favourites to win the tiel, do you think Man City would have settled for 4th? 

I just don't think Bruces brand of football would be suited to an inexperienced side

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Well, i disagree, I think JT has had an influence that is contagious and has left its mark on the club ......dare i say this, but i think a sol bamba or a sean Morrison type will serve us better if we can get one.....Johns time caught up with him in my opinion. That is not me being ungrateful of dismissive of hm.

What we need imo......is gettable.

I think you are right, about the playing style, but i think a  couple of key inclusions at centre half and a leader of the line, who can capitalise on crosses and i think you will see a more balanced shape, that may well have a knock on effect to what you are looking for.

We need to build a team, not buy a team.....We need to learn from what we have done, not dismantle.

Jokanovic was given the opportunity to add a leader of the line to his team in Mitrovic, after he failed in his first season and their patience paid dividends.

There is always something when you defend bruce. Last year you kept going on about a dm. Now its a leader of the line. There will always be an excuse for you  

In his 1st transfer window he was given around £12 million to sign a striker. 12 months later he was able to sign one of the top scorers in the league on loan. Majority of championship teams would kill for those resources, yet for you its a valid reason to make excuses for him. 

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There have been improvements but its not built on anything. Mainly it seems to be an attitude improvement, which will leave when players leave, terry already gone. 

He hasn't built a playing style or implemented a system. Now he starts to lose the individual talent he has relied far too much on, what is there? And i struggle to believe he was the only one who could have brought these improvements. 

Now we need to build, if we stick with Bruce it will be more wasted time. He failed. 

Who would you have appointed then? You cant say any progress has not been made with bruce we were fighting relegation before we came up and he finished 4th in his first full season.

Bruce has brought in players like hourihane lansbury bree and bjarnason who are all good championship players. He hasn't signed all complete dinosaurs if you look into it.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

From MOMS article

That is insane. 

On 01/06/2018 at 17:51, TRO said:

I think they are perfectly reasonable and feasible points.

However, I can't ignore the points of his critics who say the football was not really believable......and we wasn't really the power and pace merchants who can blow teams away with physicality.

I'm not sure what we really was....but we did come close.

I think I want him to come out and be clear....I am not expecting character assassinations or sore comments.....just a concise address of where he thinks we went wrong, at the end of the day, if we don't know what went wrong, we can't attempt to put it right.

I want to hear that a replica is not what we are to expect from him.

However, he is not a naughty school boy and for that reason I think he will step aside.

He’s not The Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Who would you have appointed then? You cant say any progress has not been made with bruce we were fighting relegation before we came up and he finished 4th in his first full season.

Bruce has brought in players like hourihane lansbury bree and bjarnason who are all good championship players. He hasn't signed all complete dinosaurs if you look into it.

He has signed some decent players. However he has relied on those signed by rdm or already at the club far more than those he signed. 

He has improved us but it just isn't built on solid things. It's built on the character of a few individuals. Whenever a new manager comes in they will have to rebuild our style and system. We might as well do that now than waste another year waiting for it to happen. 

• Like 1

Â