Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'm on the fence on whether Bruce remains or not, glad it's not my choice though.

However which ever case it is the decision needs to be made asap so we can start moving forward.

• Like 1

I think xias statement alluding to cuts and big changes gave Bruce the way out with his held held high - if he’s chosen not to take that route then it’s time to be ruthless and sack him .

• Like 1

We are going to face cuts and firesales there is no way that we will get promoted next season.

This is an opportunity for a new manager to rebuild something with our younger players and some smart purchases abroad.

I cannot see a sustainable future for this club if Bruce stays.

• Like 2

It's now been a full week since the play off final and because Steve hasn't gone, i don't think he now will.   Not sure if I agree with this or not, but either way, we need to start implementing a plan.   Standing still is what kills you and can send you backwards fast.  If Steve can convince the board to keep Chester, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish and Kodj, then it's not a bad platform to work with is it.   If we can then make several sales and get some clever loans in again, we have a chance of promotion for sure.   

What I would like to see this coming week is some kind of positive message.  From who, I don't know or care, but we need one.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Given Tony's statement, I honestly don't see how he's not sacked. If we have to rethink the way we do things, how does it make sense to keep Bruce's famed 'stability'?

If he couldn't achieve promotion with all the resources he had this season, how is he going to do it with a good chunk of those players gone and not much if any resources to reinvest? If the aim isn't necessarily promotion this season, but a development of a new method/style/ethos/culture or whatever, then obviously Bruce has to go to facilitate this new paradigm.

I can't think of a scenario in which it is advantageous to keep him. If we want promotion now, he doesn't have the tools he needs to deliver it. If we want to steadily build towards sustainable promotion, he's not the man to cultivate that.

100% this 

49 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It's now been a full week since the play off final and because Steve hasn't gone, i don't think he now will.   Not sure if I agree with this or not, but either way, we need to start implementing a plan.   Standing still is what kills you and can send you backwards fast.  If Steve can convince the board to keep Chester, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish and Kodj, then it's not a bad platform to work with is it.   If we can then make several sales and get some clever loans in again, we have a chance of promotion for sure.   

What I would like to see this coming week is some kind of positive message.  From who, I don't know or care, but we need one.   

He waited till July before deciding to quit hull because he wasn’t happy with the financial backing - no surprise he hasn’t gone yet .

i felt he’d walk after xias statement with his head held high - he hasn’t so now we should sack him .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Bruce supporters will have conveniently forgot making any such comments and are now scrabling around to find orher excuses for keeping him. Nobody likes to admit they were wrong.

We were 1 game short of achieving what we had all hoped for. Luck would have it that W faced one of the best teams in the league, who, are probably better than half the teams in the prem at the moment as well. 

So yes, he deserves more time - and, again, must start this season well in order to keep his position. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

We were 1 game short of achieving what we had all hoped for. Luck would have it that W faced one of the best teams in the league, who, are probably better than half the teams in the prem at the moment as well. 

So yes, he deserves more time - and, again, must start this season well in order to keep his position. 

Tell that to the board and accountants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tell that to the board and accountants.

What do you propose we do instead? Who should we bring in as manager, bearing in mind we have no money?

I think we still have a decent team once the deadwood gets cleared.

The out of contracts and players we manage to move on from the deadwood zone should see a significant saving in itself without having to offload any key players that do remain.

Play it right and we could possibly squeeze in a few loans again, but ultimately Bruce has to go and now.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tayls said:

What do you propose we do instead? Who should we bring in as manager, bearing in mind we have no money?

You think we should keep the bloke who has turned over 27 players in less than two years, many of them on “eye watering” wages?

Your right we have no money, we need someone who can work within financial restraints and develop our own young talent. Steve Bruce has never done that in his long career, he's unlikely in the extreme to start now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we still have a decent team once the deadwood gets cleared.

The out of contracts and players we manage to move on from the deadwood zone should see a significant saving in itself without having to offload any key players that do remain.

Play it right and we could possibly squeeze in a few loans again, but ultimately Bruce has to go and now.

I can’t see the deadwood getting cleared - they are on such wages that nobody will take them .

totally agree on Bruce though - not the man under the circumstances .  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Although it turned out to be 1 game off we should really consider it was 9 points off. Playoffs is always a lottery. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You think we should keep the bloke who has turned over 27 players in less than two years, many of them on “eye watering” wages?

Your right we have no money, we need someone who can work within financial restraints and develop our own young talent. Steve Bruce has never done that in his long career, he's unlikely in the extreme to start now. 

Would prefer Bruce gone but you can’t blame him for what his signings are earning. He would identify the players he wants. It’s up to the club to keep a sustainable wage structure. 

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

Yet, he is now faced with complete opposite of a budget to that he had last year.. 

my comment was in regards to the coming season, its obvious we are going to have to use many players from the u23s and probably wont even be able to pick up any decent frees or loans 

He got close last year, with what many consider to be the best squad in the league (not to mention the most expensive one this league has ever seen). Even all the bookies had us down as favourites to win the tiel, do you think Man City would have settled for 4th? 

I just don't think Bruces brand of football would be suited to an inexperienced side

The best squad maybe....the best team, Not in my opinion.

I think the bookies had Boro' as favourites, anyway, in the early weeks.

Man City....There is just about nothing we can compare with our 2 clubs, now.

There was not enough contrast in the team for me, but the squad had many decent players....The team too, had good players, but a bit too samey for me.

I'm not really sure I fully understand the last line.....He never sent our team out, to play like the Blues team.

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I can’t see the deadwood getting cleared - they are on such wages that nobody will take them .

totally agree on Bruce though - not the man under the circumstances .  

I agree a couple maybe hard to shift in Richards, Tshisbola & McCormack etc.

Amavi, Gil, Gollini, RDL, Lyden, Gardner, Whelan, Elphick should be able to be moved on and generate a few quid to reduce the FFP deficit slightly.

Hogan & Lansbury also may fall in the hard to shift camp due to stupid contract reasons... again.

We will need 3 or 4 loans in if possible though but that depends on the above panning out I guess.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would prefer Bruce gone but you can’t blame him for what his signings are earning. He would identify the players he wants. It’s up to the club to keep a sustainable wage structure. 

I agree to some extent, but he has to shoulder some of the responsibility. There are a few who need to put their hands up, but I doubt they will.

Either way it doesn’t alter the fact that he’s never been big on developing young players or finding and getting the best out of lesser known players. 

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There is always something when you defend bruce. Last year you kept going on about a dm. Now its a leader of the line. There will always be an excuse for you  

In his 1st transfer window he was given around £12 million to sign a striker. 12 months later he was able to sign one of the top scorers in the league on loan. Majority of championship teams would kill for those resources, yet for you its a valid reason to make excuses for him. 

Where's the excuses.....you are a fine one to talk.

• You think he plays the wrong type of football and seems to directly blame him for many aspects of how we play, yet some are not his fault, but you fail to reveal that.....its an easy cop out.....The players have to take responsibility too, for certain aspects
    • He sets us up wrong?
    • He plays cautious negative football?.....I don't really know what that means in specifics, I think it has a bit of a worrying generalisation attached to it.....I would like to play like Fulham, but we haven't got Sessegnon and Cairney or the hold up play of Mitrovic.
    • He buys the wrong players....too old, too slow?
    • The football is boring?
  • You too seem to blame him ,if the floodlights are not bright enough......don't make nebulous statements, say what you mean, not Bruce is shite.

A manager is responsible for the playing side of the football club....but you cannot blame him for every mortal error or misplaced pass, or failure to track back, or head a ball or foul throw.

I think a team needs a DM and at this level, we need physicality at Centre Half and Centre Forward.....like Dublin and UGO....so no, i make no apologies for saying we needed one.

I think we had some good players last season, but not quite got the balance right for me.....as for him setting up wrong, I disagree, I think the players we had could not dominate certain positions and it showed up in certain games......I am not blaming him for the play, I'm blaming him( if its the right word) for not signing the right players to play the right way.

If you read my posts properly, I defend him against things I disagree with ( If players fail to win headed challenges, I blame them not him.....If players fails a first touch, I blame them not him......I blame him for not signing ones that can, but not him for not carrying out the work).....you need to understand what is being said, even if you disagree.

I think Steve Bruce has done a really good job.....but in terms of promotion come up short.....and once again, if you can understand my reasoning....IMO he has done well at somethings and not so good at others.

How many times have we seen some managers do well at some clubs and not at others, some jobs take longer to get right, some have that bit of lady luck, that their decisions went right.....I think Jokanovic did with Mitrovic.

How many times has Warnock failed or had Dinosaur thrown at him or just plainly stitched up by directors who think they know better....His time at QPR was terrible the way he was treated, at Sheff Utd, not much better.

I have never suggested that Steve Bruce is perfect or defended him unconditionally.....but If I have a criticism, i will explain what it is, not just say he is shite or plays shite football.

For my sins, I believe managers generally play a style that suits their playing staff.....yes they have tendencies like Allardyce, Bruce and Pulis, who think clean sheet first......but why has Jack and Traore prospered under those guys, blimey Jay Jay Ococha was hardly boring.

They do attract criticisms which I think are over stated at times.

The most significant thing is though.....If we had of scored just One goal and not conceded....which could have been so feasible.....The tone on here in respect of the Manager would have been alarmingly contrasting.....We all have to weigh that up.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, striker said:

May be wrong here but wasn’t it RDM that spend most of the money while apart from Hogan Bruce had to adopt ‘the older days of buying smarter?’

Correct.

But he spent it on wages, to attempt to get a better calibre in.....a noble effort , I would probably have done the same myself.....It just feel short and injuries to key players conspired.

My point was, we need to do it with younger ones.....I still think he is well placed to alter his approach and well connected.

Â