Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The difference is we had the best manager in my lifetime doing the hiring and firing back then and now we have Steve Bruce. 

what a bunch of tosh

Id be more for changing him if I had confidence of Wyness \ Xia bringing someone better in. Even when we had money to invest RDM was the best they could muster. With no cash and best players needing to be sold - the next managerial appointment terrifies me.

40 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It's our financial position that has caused certain players to leave, we simply can't afford them. Adding another new manager into the mix in my opinion won't help. We took a gamble on journeymen to get us through and it failed, who knows what needs to happen next. I personally would prefer it if we have someone in charge that acknowledges we are the biggest job in his career and not a stepping stone for a big time Charlie.

That accounts for players leaving now, not the rest of them. To assume the next manager will be a big time Charlie is rather strange as none of us have the faintest idea who he may be, if indeed we have a new manager. Most people who prefer us to stick with Steve Bruce seem to have a fear of the unknown. Not unreasonable to be fair because whoever we have as manager come the start of next season is a risk whether we stick or twist. I just think Steve Bruce doesn’t have the skills to take us forward and keeping him is a bigger risk than letting him go. Of course that depends who his replacement is. I’ve always said we can’t just sack SB without a properly thought out plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That accounts for players leaving now, not the rest of them. To assume the next manager will be a big time Charlie is rather strange as none of us have the faintest idea who he may be, if indeed we have a new manager. Most people who prefer us to stick with Steve Bruce seem to have a fear of the unknown. Not unreasonable to be fair because whoever we have as manager come the start of next season is a risk whether we stick or twist. I just think Steve Bruce doesn’t have the skills to take us forward and keeping him is a bigger risk than letting him go. Of course that depends who his replacement is. I’ve always said we can’t just sack SB without a properly thought out plan. 

With a 4th place finish - and a play off final defeat to show for last season - and a minus -£40m transfer kitty I don't see any manager taking us forward carrying that burden

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

With a 4th place finish - and a play off final defeat to show for last season - and a minus -£40m transfer kitty I don't see any manager taking us forward carrying that burden

Well it certainly won’t be easy!

4 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

if Bruce goes and Wyness chooses it's gonna be Moyes.

Mick Mccarthy - cheap, available, works on a budget - promotions to his name - would be a massively unpopular choice though.

I really think it will be an out of work manager.

• Like 1

I am not saying I want Moyes I am unsure on Brucey but the man making the shortlist will have those sort of names!

Manager is the most important position in the club and I think should be the most well paid.  If rumours are to be believed about certain players wages you can't really get a manager in on the cheap and pay him peanuts despite FFP.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mick Mccarthy - cheap, available, works on a budget - promotions to his name - would be a massively unpopular choice though.

I really think it will be an out of work manager.

So a worse version of Steve Bruce then? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well if you think Steve Bruce is in the same league as Ron Saunders then there’s nothing I can say. Saunders had already got us promoted and won the League Cup twice. To try to say we would have thought badly about Saunders if we hadn’t won the league just to defend your current position on Steve Bruce is ridiculous. Yes things can be determined by small margins, but we were Champions, not playing in a last chance saloon game because we hadn’t been good enough to achieve our aim during the rest of the season. Tosh you say, dearly me. 

To compare Bruce  to the great Ron Saunders is an absolute joke. Even Little and Atkinson are more worthy of respect for their time as Villa managers . If Bruce is going to be replaced by someone in the mould of a Moyes or that other big oaf, then there really is no hope for us.

The next appointment, whenever that maybe, has to be someone who wants  us to play in a way that inspires. Please, no more of these merry go round managers. 

• Like 3

I still think we should keep Bruce.  We'll have a few loses of players and we'll bring in some cheap options but it wont be a massive overhaul of the squad which for me is key.  Yes this core didnt get us up and you can argue why next season will be different but I'm sick of change, a new manager and overhaul of the squad will take time to bed in next season to get used to each other and given our circumstances I dont think we'll get value for the players we have when we sell.  Bunker down and give it another season, if we can get a good start to the season unlike last season we can push for the top two.  Continual change is no way to progress.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

So a worse version of Steve Bruce then? 

There is no worse versions of Steve Bruce.  Gentleman by all accounts but no tactical brain what so ever.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

There is no worse versions of Steve Bruce.  Gentleman by all accounts but no tactical brain what so ever.

I mean this is just hyperbolic nonsense isn't it? :D 

There are arguments to support his post. Bruce relies on individual players skill and luck to see us through a match. Not really sure tactical strength can be argued as a plus for brucie. 

• Like 2

Â