Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Perhaps "irrational dislike" is more apt than "hate", but there's certainly a feeling of anti-Steve Bruce rather than pro-Villa on a fair amount of posts in this thread.

I understand thinking he's a dull manager, not thinking we can progress etc.  That's fine - I think I fall into this camp.  But to come on after a win (and there's been something like 7 in the last 11 games?) to have the same people just banging on about how shit Steve Bruce is, is tiring and, as mentioned, irrational given the form we're in.

His style of play is currently garnering results.  Our form over the last 10 games is second only to Wolves, who are top.  But Bruce is shit and we're going nowhere.

But literally nobody has said he is shit and we are going nowhere.

But I will withdraw from this thread at this point I think.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to realise this but I don't actually need to like the manager of my club to support him.

I think Bruce is a bit of a knob to be honest but I don't think he has done much wrong for the past couple of months and he has my full support.

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think this is a bit silly, sorry.

I don’t think people hate him.

Fair enough. I totally disagree. There are some fans at VP and posters on here who quite clearly hate him. 

Mot maybe to be less extreme, hate that he is our manager. 

And i I genuinely think it effects people’s enjoyment of games. 

Which is is a shame. Because we’re winning. A lot. 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

My sentiments weeks ago.

Got bored of the Steve Bruce merry-go-round.

This thread needs a berlin wall of it's own :crylaugh:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vreitti said:

True, then again I have never said our good form is a fluke. Bruce has done well so far, when it comes to the results. Will we be able to maintain this "good form" is what worries me, since most of our wins have come against bottom half teams.

i dont always agree with all your posts but yes you have never said the form is a fluke that i have seen

we have played most to the teams around us away from home and only lost to wolves, and cardiff . Cardiff for me we were a mess at that point we didnt ahve the team we have now and i highly doubt if we played them tomorrow it would end 3-0. they played us a good time. the reading result was a very poor one when you consider where they are now 

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If people weren’t obsessing so much about Steve Bruce, they might be able to enjoy our successes a bit more.

If I loosen my "obsessing" of Bruce, do you think he'll start producing better football?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think this is a bit silly, sorry.

I don’t think people hate him.

I think some things are written at times( with frustration granted) by detractors, where you would be forgiven for thinking that.....they just hate him.

We can all exaggerate to highlight a point and some of the steve Bruce stuff is that IMO

I accept that you and posters of a similar view, have a valid point on the quality of play....i am most certainly with you on that.....we may have a different view on the source.....I think it is a bit of both manager and player ability.

As an example.....I was aware of the positioning of Lewis Grabban, clearly aware of where he could do most damage on our shoulders of the back four , by contrast our 2 were playing much deeper in a more passive role( just observing, not criticising young players)

We can all speculate where the faults lie.....but when we win, we acheive the only stat that any style of football delivers, good, bad or indifferent.

The holy grail is Winning.

ps but you know that.

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not sure anyone has said Bruce is doing well?  I think comments have been "we won, but...", "good form, but...", "we won't continue like this...".  Despite being in great form and pushing for promotion.

Not literally Bruce is shit and we are going nowhere - but certainly zero praise.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Did someone say mini-league?  Here's the top 10 versus the top 10 so far.

d54f49206496f8382a6dd6151367cf21.png

Highlights my point exactly. So before half season is upon us, we need to take points from Leeds, Sheffield U, Derby and Ipswich if we're to maintain our promotion push. This worries me greatly, irrespective of our fantastic form of late. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vreitti said:

Agreed. Therefore it's a bit of a worry we still have to play the aforementioned promotion rivals. Hence my concern. 

I accept what is being said.....but my view is this.

We started the season poorly.....players still getting to know each other and the manager still deliberating ( rightly or wrongly) with the scale of player turnover.

few other teams if any  at the top have had to endure that poor start.

We are now in a rich vein of form in terms of results.

I think like you and your cohorts......we need to add a more convincing tag to those results.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Highlights my point exactly. So before half season is upon us, we need to take points from Leeds, Sheffield U, Derby and Ipswich if we're to maintain our promotion push. This worries me greatly, irrespective of our fantastic form of late. 

We would have needed to take points of those teams in any promotion scenario.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

After 7 years of mostly turgid shite on the pitch and problems with ownership off it making us the laughing stock of English football I am amazed that anyone isn't totally buzzing with the way things are progressing this season. It's not perfect and I want us to push on and win the division but Jesus, we're winning football matches. Regularly.

The very last thing I'm interested in right now is whether the football is pretty enough. 

Tbf I said this when he joined. I wanted Bruce because ultimately it is a results business and I thought he was the man to get it. He has done it (almost) so far in the way I expected him to do it. My issue is whether it is sustainable for the season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i dont always agree with all your posts but yes you have never said the form is a fluke that i have seen

we have played most to the teams around us away from home and only lost to wolves, and cardiff . Cardiff for me we were a mess at that point we didnt ahve the team we have now and i highly doubt if we played them tomorrow it would end 3-0. they played us a good time. the reading result was a very poor one when you consider where they are now 

I think your assessment is fair, just to add.

playing teams in the lower half can bring with it its own dangers, they scrap and fight.

look at the run Bolton have been on since we beat ourselves up at beating them.

There is no easy games......there are just games and have to win them all and when we win, we should reward ourselves with a bit of joy.

I also believe better teams in the main allow you to play a bit more and that could just suit our players.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me the last time Villa played expansive, attractive, free-flowing attacking football?

Being honest, I don't think we've done so since the late nineties and even then it was hit and miss (periods under Atkinson, Gregory spring to mind).

So I do wonder where this obsession and expectation comes from.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can someone tell me the last time Villa played expansive, attractive, free-flowing attacking football?

Being honest, I don't think we've done so since the late nineties and even then it was hit and miss (periods under Atkinson, Gregory spring to mind).

So I do wonder where this obsession and expectation comes from.

To be fair.....i don't think they are saying that.....they are saying the quality of play is just poor in too many games......they are not wrong.

I think they do have a point.....and at some point it needs to be addressed.

However.....right now i am not going to beat myself up over it, I'm just going to immerse myself in the success surrounding the results and wallow in the joy of that.

I get very disappointed when we lose, i refuse to play the heads i lose, tails i lose game.

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think your assessment is fair, just to add.

playing teams in the lower half can bring with it its own dangers, they scrap and fight.

look at the run Bolton have been on since we beat ourselves up at beating them.

There is no easy games......there are just games and have to win them all and when we win, we should reward ourselves with a bit of joy.

I also believe better teams in the main allow you to play a bit more and that could just suit our players.

At home i agree but wolves took the game to us and we didnt play well at all. Was it they were too good for us or we just bottled it? I personally think we didbt play well at all on the day we didnt take the game to them.

From what i have seen from us we seem to take the lead and then in most games too overly cautious to see out the game as opposed to killing game off. Yestetday being a prime example.  We just seemed far too relaxed.  We didnt take the game to sunderland at all. I guess that is a positive as i thought we were awful but won the game.

As you say there are no easy games like with bolton we beat them but since then they have done remarkably well.

December is a challenging month if we are around the play offs by January i am confident we will at the very least make the play offs.

I don't think anyone hates him, or genuinely loves him.

But people haven't got the vocabulary to express what they want to say, so hyperbole and vitriol and poor language is the theme of the day.  

I think people are just sat on different sides of moderateness.  

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't think anyone hates him, or genuinely loves him.

But people haven't got the vocabulary to express what they want to say, so hyperbole and vitriol and poor language is the theme of the day.  

I think people are just sat on different sides of moderateness.  

I say damn our situation and the games we have to play, with all the things caught in my mind.

And damn my education, I can’t find the words to say, with all the things caught in my mind.

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

I say damn our situation and the games we have to play, with all the things caught in my mind.

And damn my education, I can’t find the words to say, with all the things caught in my mind.

So don't go away, say what you say, say what you say, forever and a day.  I'm having the time of my life, because I need more time, because I need more time, just to make things right. 

Â