Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well, you could say it and as it happens, you just have... which is entirely your right to do... buuuttttt...

Talk about stating the obvious. I mean it's been said so many times before and it truly is glaringly obvious, so really, why bother?

I mean it's like going for a swim and saying, but what about the waves?

We all know this is just how Bruce is. Grit your teeth and bear it.

Decent reply mate and I've taken it on board.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Well as someone who has coached sport nearly my whole adult life I have based my whole ethos on performance ahead of result. 

You can't control result but you can control performance. 

Under Bruce we don't control anything, including the ball for 5 passes or more. 

As a favour to you and everyone else on this thread. I'm going to leave it there and go have my breakfast. 

I am happy about another 3 points, and I shall enjoy with my eggs. 

Have you managed a professional club where millions of pounds are on the line depending on those results? 

We'd all like better performances, sure, but while you're winning games, there's not a lot of point in sounding so upset about it. 

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The fact we won doesn’t bother him or anyone. The way we played and have pretty consistently played under Bruce for more than 12 months does bother him and plenty of others, I don’t think it’s hard to see why.

Winning games is great and ultimately it’s the most important thing But it would be nice to enjoy watching us play now and again. But more to the point, the issue tat some of us have with the way we play (not just tonight) is that we don’t think it’s sustainable to win enough games playing like that.

Granted the form at the moment suggests otherwise but the concerns remain nonetheless. We shall see over the rest of the season though, long way to go.

I've enjoyed watching us play this season at times, haven't you? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Have you managed a professional club where millions of pounds are on the line depending on those results? 

We'd all like better performances, sure, but while you're winning games, there's not a lot of point in sounding so upset about it. 

No I haven't and I wasn't going to mention this but it has relevance, I have taken a lot of struggling teams and turned them into good teams so I'll back my way of thinking regardless of the level of sport in discussion. 

In fact I think Bruce is so focused on the result and nothing else that it hinders us becoming a better team. It also puts an implied pressure on every player every game, whether the is actual pressure or not. 

Anyway no one wants to hear my thoughts on how to be a good coach, but if I write a book one day you can have a free copy. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No I haven't and I wasn't going to mention this but it has relevance, I have taken a lot of struggling teams and turned them into good teams so I'll back my way of thinking regardless of the level of sport in discussion. 

I don't think it does have relevance tbh - I don't love his style of play by any stretch but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than someone who has a proven track record at the level we're playing at. 

Just now, lexicon said:

I don't think it does have relevance tbh - I don't love his style of play by any stretch but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than someone who has a proven track record at the level we're playing at. 

Fair enough, its reached the point where I'll agree to disagree. Let's enjoy the 3 points together. 

• Like 2

Well I thought we played well for the most part but that’s for the match thread.

Ive never particularly wanted Bruce to play a passing or possession game - and he never will- all I’ve ever wanted was for him to add positivity in selection and approach to go with his ability to get a team working incredibly hard, defending well, and giving everything for each other.

I thought he had done so for the last 7/8 weeks - other than at Wolves - and I thought so again tonight.

Im happy enough.

Tonight’s football and result is what we get with Bruce. December is a very tough month and will show if this style is good enough to get us up. One thing for certain is this style means Bruce won’t be here long term. 

I enjoy every game we get 3 points. 

Edit: I must add I understand those that feel wins with poor performances is not sustainable for promotion and I agreed with it. But we are now starting to see good performances in between poor ones while still winning games. All this while having a crippling injury list. 

Its looking ok. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

Poor performance, but so comfortable.  Probably led to the players being a bit lazy with the ball (I thought Hourihane in particular had a poor, half-arsed game).

But, yeah, 3 points.  Up to 4th, 5 points off automatic promotion.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

I'm very happy with the 3 points of course but we just make things difficult for ourselves all the time. Scored but then sat back, controlled the game a bit more in the second half but gave away a poor goal which led to a nervy ending. Wish we'd stop that. 

50 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In fact I think Bruce is so focused on the result and nothing else that it hinders us becoming a better team. It also puts an implied pressure on every player every game, whether the is actual pressure or not. 

Anyway no one wants to hear my thoughts on how to be a good coach, but if I write a book one day you can have a free copy. 

Image result for showoff meme

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â