Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Weak first save followed by quite baffling positioning on the follow up. Completely at fault for the goal.

Yep. He managed to give them a goal in a game where they never even looked close to scoring.

58 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Here and there, rarely though.

Trent, I respect your opinion greatly, have done for some time. 

With all due respect though it's like you've forgotten how bad we've been for the past 6 odd years.

We're riding high, form is very good with the odd blip here and there which will happen but it's promotion form, the difficulty being that we're one of 5-8 clubs showing that right now. 

Now is the time to unite, get behind the team/club and help push us back into the prem. 

Then in 12 months time we can start the debate all over again ;)

• Like 1

Personally I've enjoyed most of our games I've seen this season. 

There were a couple during the first few games that I didn't, when I was firmly in the bruce Out camp. Cardiff and Bristol City spring to mind.

But since we've sorted ourselves out I've enjoyed most of them. My season ticket feels very good value this year.

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Trent, I respect your opinion greatly, have done for some time. 

With all due respect though it's like you've forgotten how bad we've been for the past 6 odd years.

We're riding high, form is very good with the odd blip here and there which will happen but it's promotion form, the difficulty being that we're one of 5-8 clubs showing that right now. 

Now is the time to unite, get behind the team/club and help push us back into the prem. 

Then in 12 months time we can start the debate all over again ;)

Someone asked me a direct question, I gave a direct answer.

I've not forgotten how bad we've been, it is why I can accept a manager like Bruce being a means to an end but I'm not going to pretend the football is good or that I enjoy watching it. Why should I?

The form is great, I've said so numerous times. The performances aren't, as I've said several times I don't think we will win enough games playing the way we are but will be delighted to be proven wrong come the summer.

I'm behind the team, I'm behind the manager to an extent but I am not and never will be the sort of fan that only looks at the result or will only comment on the positives.

I'll be delighted if Bruce gets us up, absolutely delighted but I'd advocate sacking him at that point. I don't think I will change that view but that is one for the summer, hopefully.

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

This thread reminds me of the Martin O’Neill thread when we were finishing 6th for the third time.

Style of football was sketchy, although we were still a threat away from home. We were winning matches but it wasn’t sustainable. He only signed old men. We needed shot of him if we were to kick on. The squad was capable of more than he was delivering with it.

That turned out well ;)

And as you will probably recall I was saying then much what I’m saying now. That history contributes to my thoughts on the present.

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

This thread reminds me of the Martin O’Neill thread when we were finishing 6th for the third time.

Style of football was sketchy, although we were still a threat away from home. We were winning matches but it wasn’t sustainable. He only signed old men. We needed shot of him if we were to kick on. The squad was capable of more than he was delivering with it.

That turned out well ;)

Agreed up until the highlighted part No way did anybody think that. Everybody knew we were over achieving due to MON's man management. The frustration with MON was he had ridiculous financial backing and he wasn't make the most of it and building teams that would need half of it replacing every season!  

Bruce is doing something similar but I doubt he is part of a long term plan. I hope not anyway! 

I do agree the below are similar: 

MONs approach turned out to be if we don't get in to top 6 the funds will dry up and we are f**ked.

Bruce approach is if we don't go up we are f**ked. 

13 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

See, I think the issues, differences of opinion, or whatever you wish to call them, are not usefully understood in terms of pro and anti Bruce.

Instead, I think it's a lot more about attitudes to progress, so... 'wait and see, there's good and bad' vs. 'he's totally incompetent, we must get rid now'. Looked at this way, there's only one intransigent view point, the other is open minded by definition.

For me, it's always been about the tone of the debate because a massive fan uprising, if it is allowed to catch hold, can have a further negative impact on the team's fortunes, even whilst it is obviously accepted that their shit play and/or the manager's input to that shit play are also contributory factors.

So, Bruce hasn't totally convinced anybody yet, but it does finally look like something useful is taking shape and in my footballing opinion, that alone presents a decent argument for checking the tone occasionally.

Edited by srsmithusa
Thought better of it

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No I haven't and I wasn't going to mention this but it has relevance, I have taken a lot of struggling teams and turned them into good teams so I'll back my way of thinking regardless of the level of sport in discussion. 

In fact I think Bruce is so focused on the result and nothing else that it hinders us becoming a better team. It also puts an implied pressure on every player every game, whether the is actual pressure or not. 

Anyway no one wants to hear my thoughts on how to be a good coach, but if I write a book one day you can have a free copy. 

I am not going to even attempt to big SB up.....but we all know what he is in terms of style.....but equally, we all know what kind of players he has always had at his disposal.

i don't think he is as daft as some think.....but he is limited in what he can do with what he has got.

I know and we all know, that he could play more expansive than what we do, but do we really know, what effect that would have on results.....we seen attacking football under RDM and we know how that ended.

I am not sure we have the players to play the game some want us to play.....not yet anyway.

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I simply ask myself

Why would anyone want to be shit when they can excell ?

Right, and in any case, surely it's not a choice between attractive attacking football, or ugly defensive stuff?

Regardless of whether you choose an expansive or a conservative style, stringing passes together is vital to success.

Why are we so **** incompetent at it? (I didn't see the game but I understand we plumbed new depths, as we seem to do about every other week).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Right, and in any case, surely it's not a choice between attractive attacking football, or ugly defensive stuff?

Regardless of whether you choose an expansive or a conservative style, stringing passes together is vital to success.

Why are we so **** incompetent at it? (I didn't see the game but I understand we plumbed new depths, as we seem to do about every other week).

Truth, however I must say I notice when Grealish came on, he was almost trying to force a passing game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not going to even attempt to big SB up.....but we all know what he is in terms of style.....but equally, we all know what kind of players he has always had at his disposal.

i don't think he is as daft as some think.....but he is limited in what he can do with what he has got.

I know and we all know, that he could play more expansive than what we do, but do we really know, what effect that would have on results.....we seen attacking football under RDM and we know how that ended.

I am not sure we have the players to play the game some want us to play.....not yet anyway.

Sorry @TRO but don't think I'm having a go at you because I'm not. 

My complaint is not for expansive football my complaint is that with 25 minutes to go and a 2 goal lead we cannot safely take the sting out of the game. 

String a few passes together, knock it around for a bit let the opposition chase us. 

I see teams do it all the time and I'm baffled that we cannot. 

I realise I'm banging on but it is the one things Bruce seems to never address. 

All in my uneducated opinion of course. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

The last two players we had that rarely gave the ball away were Barry and Petrov. We've been pretty much rubbish at passing ever since.

I can think of one player who we could do with still having but a I dare not mention his name :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I simply ask myself

Why would anyone want to be shit when they can excell ?

Okay, I know you are asking yourself, so it's entirely your choice as to whether you share the answer you gave yourself, but how about it...

Who exactly do you think consciously prefers and then chooses to be shit instead of excelling?

• Like 1

Â