Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Highlights my point exactly. So before half season is upon us, we need to take points from Leeds, Sheffield U, Derby and Ipswich if we're to maintain our promotion push. This worries me greatly, irrespective of our fantastic form of late. 

We've played 3 of the top 6 away from home already this season. Whilst that table doesn't look great I think we've got some more favorable matches to come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can someone tell me the last time Villa played expansive, attractive, free-flowing attacking football?

Being honest, I don't think we've done so since the late nineties and even then it was hit and miss (periods under Atkinson, Gregory spring to mind).

So I do wonder where this obsession and expectation comes from.

I don't have an obsession or expectation about, nor do I expect, attractive, free-flowing football because that's not what Bruce's teams play.

We are in a good position, and I would just like him to try to get the team playing a bit better, to give us the best possible chance of promotion. My nerves are frayed watching these games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Highlights my point exactly. So before half season is upon us, we need to take points from Leeds, Sheffield U, Derby and Ipswich if we're to maintain our promotion push. This worries me greatly, irrespective of our fantastic form of late. 

Leeds, Derby and Ipswich can all have their day but they really shouldn't worry anyone in this league greatly imo. Wolves and Cardiff took us to the cleaners. We were lucky to come away with a point at Bristol City. Unlucky to only gain a point to Middlesbrough and beat Forest.

Whilst I agree that we need to prove we can beat the better teams in this league Preston and Fulham were up there when we beat them so It's not without precedent and on top of that we don't need to win ALL these games. The game against Sheff Utd is going to be a great game but I expect us to have a fair few points in the bag before we face them.

The point about playing the better teams away in the first half of the season is also important imo. Everyone apart from Middlesborough and Forest have got to visit Villa Park yet.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

After 7 years of mostly turgid shite on the pitch and problems with ownership off it making us the laughing stock of English football I am amazed that anyone isn't totally buzzing with the way things are progressing this season. It's not perfect and I want us to push on and win the division but Jesus, we're winning football matches. Regularly.

The very last thing I'm interested in right now is whether the football is pretty enough. 

Everyone else can see it the way they want but I'm with you all the way here doug. Nice to see you back.

Ultimately, I wasn't all that happy we went for Bruce and no one in their right mind is happy with the football we are seeing sometimes, but the bottom line for me is that my football club has stopped being a walkover since he got here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can someone tell me the last time Villa played expansive, attractive, free-flowing attacking football?

Being honest, I don't think we've done so since the late nineties and even then it was hit and miss (periods under Atkinson, Gregory spring to mind).

So I do wonder where this obsession and expectation comes from.

I think we are going round and round in circles with this debate. There are probably around 2 fans on the blog that expect 'expansive, attractive, free-flowing attacking football'

The rest of those that are not fans of Bruce would like to see better movement and retention of the ball.  That is all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

You take it too seriously. Just enjoy the chat. Remember we all want the same thing.

Perhaps I do, but I guess it's how you view the impact or potential impact of what's written on here.

I guess some people post and don't give a seconds thought to it whereas I see the potential for influence.

If all we keep doing is being negative that may seep into the wider fan base, which then may seep back into the club/team and affect performances and results.

For every action there is a reaction and all that.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Did someone say mini-league?  Here's the top 10 versus the top 10 so far.

d54f49206496f8382a6dd6151367cf21.png

Interestingly, if you have a league table of the top 10 versus the rest (11-24) we're top (although we've played more).

ca2a523cec29b491f6d0890db0cc4775.png

Wacko... so our next opponents, Ipswich, have lost all 4 of their games against top 10 teams so far and conceded 10 goals.

That makes me feel a little less gloomy about the doom that has been foretold for this game.

I also think Cardiff's stats are bizarre. Pummelling the top 10 but faltering against 11-24. That doesn't bode so well for the sustainability of their campaign.

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Wacko... so our next opponents, Ipswich, have lost all 4 of their games against top 10 teams so far and conceded 10 goals.

That makes me feel a little less gloomy about the doom that has been foretold for this game.

I also think Cardiff's stats are bizarre. Pummelling the top 10 but faltering against 11-24. That doesn't bode so well for the sustainability of their campaign.

I think it shows every game is tough in this league. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Interestingly, if you have a league table of the top 10 versus the rest (11-24) we're top (although we've played more).

oooo, beat Ipswich and we are mid table!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Perhaps I do, but I guess it's how you view the impact or potential impact of what's written on here.

I guess some people post and don't give a seconds thought to it whereas I see the potential for influence.

If all we keep doing is being negative that may seep into the wider fan base, which then may seep back into the club/team and affect performances and results.

For every action there is a reaction and all that.

I don't think any non-VTer's pay any attention to us, if they have even heard of us. And I doubt if they would be influenced by us. If they were, they would be very silly. :)

I would suggest we are only important in our own heads, and I don't think we even influence each other. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Thats a hell of a discrepancy with Cardiffs results.  You can really get a good idea how they like to play, them enjoying teams coming on to them so they can obviously break.

As for us...we are just flat track bullies!

Edited by Nigel

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

At home i agree but wolves took the game to us and we didnt play well at all. Was it they were too good for us or we just bottled it? I personally think we didbt play well at all on the day we didnt take the game to them.

From what i have seen from us we seem to take the lead and then in most games too overly cautious to see out the game as opposed to killing game off. Yestetday being a prime example.  We just seemed far too relaxed.  We didnt take the game to sunderland at all. I guess that is a positive as i thought we were awful but won the game.

As you say there are no easy games like with bolton we beat them but since then they have done remarkably well.

December is a challenging month if we are around the play offs by January i am confident we will at the very least make the play offs.

I wish i knew the specifics, but its not easy to detect..

• we don't like teams in our face
  • we struggle with movement from opposition( but most teams do)
  • we have games where we are intense and others where we are flat.

We do seem to have to put a lot of energy in tou out game and subsequently get tired very easily.....as opposed to Wolves who let the ball do the work, they find space much easier than us, they look like they have more idea where to run to avoid unnecessary contact and avoid injuries in the process.

We work hard, not doubt........we need to work SMART.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Thats a hell of a discrepancy with Cardiffs results.  You can really get a good idea how they like to play, them enjoying teams coming on to them so they can obviously break.

As for us...we are just flat track bullies!

They've drawn and lost same as us to be fair. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't think anyone hates him, or genuinely loves him.

But people haven't got the vocabulary to express what they want to say, so hyperbole and vitriol and poor language is the theme of the day.  

I think people are just sat on different sides of moderateness.  

I like him....i think he is down to earth, but i think he has a streak thats says if you attack me i will defend myself.

I would think he would be a guy who would be cordial company in the local pub.

from what i am told he is a very popular character.....maybe another reason why he feels the necessity to defend his corner.

I liked him before he came to us....just like his persona.

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bof spreadsheet has got me a little worried. We have looked poor in the 6 games against teams around us and now we've got 4 of them in the next few weeks. This could make of break our season. 

It will be interesting.

The games you mention, were mainly at the start of the season.....it could be different now.

we will see.

• Like 1

Â