Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

51 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm with you. To be fair though also, we were pretty below average that day against Bolton and we still won the game. 

I'm just saying that I don't think there are any excuses tonight. That said, in football anything can happen. 

Bolton's form has picked up somewhat as well since playing us so I think we caught them on something of an up-curve, of sorts

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Bolton's form has picked up somewhat as well since playing us so I think we caught them on something of an up-curve, of sorts

You can't mention that:)

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Just the 23% better pass completion rate to back that up with.... 

Try to put Whelan in the team from last year and see how he performs and furthermore if you have to compare those two players, you have to look into how many passes is backwards, forwards, long passes etc., You just cant take them in one pile...

So just want to clarify the rules:

Because we got 3 points I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the last 25 minutes and the long term effects of us playing this way.

If anyone could clear this up I'd greatly appreciate it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Because we got 3 points I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the last 25 minutes and the long term effects of us playing this way.

What are you going on about?

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

What are you going on about?

You can't be serious? You know full well if I have my say about the fact that while we got the 3pts, it was not a great performance, I'll get slated from here to tomorrow!

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Another good result but...

Bruce’s approach to the game will just never ever be for me, I despair at our inability to use or retain the ball under him.

I hope he gets up and then we say thanks and move on without him in a different direction this summer.

Yeah it's hideous, it's not even like playing direct and fast and knowing how to retain possession are mutually exclusive attributes for a football team. All the good teams have always known how to do both, and when. If we could string more than 3 passes together then at 2-0 we coudl just knock it around, draw them out, and THEN go quick and vertical up top and exploit the space. Without the ball we will never be able to manage the game properly.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well, you could say it and as it happens, you just have... which is entirely your right to do... buuuttttt...

Talk about stating the obvious. I mean it's been said so many times before and it truly is glaringly obvious, so really, why bother?

I mean it's like going for a swim and saying, but what about the waves?

We all know this is just how Bruce is. Grit your teeth and bear it.

Just now, lexicon said:

Why does it bother you that we played poorly but won? We don't play poorly every week. 

Well as someone who has coached sport nearly my whole adult life I have based my whole ethos on performance ahead of result. 

You can't control result but you can control performance. 

Under Bruce we don't control anything, including the ball for 5 passes or more. 

As a favour to you and everyone else on this thread. I'm going to leave it there and go have my breakfast. 

I am happy about another 3 points, and I shall enjoy with my eggs. 

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

Why does it bother you that we played poorly but won? We don't play poorly every week. 

The fact we won doesn’t bother him or anyone. The way we played and have pretty consistently played under Bruce for more than 12 months does bother him and plenty of others, I don’t think it’s hard to see why.

Winning games is great and ultimately it’s the most important thing But it would be nice to enjoy watching us play now and again. But more to the point, the issue tat some of us have with the way we play (not just tonight) is that we don’t think it’s sustainable to win enough games playing like that.

Granted the form at the moment suggests otherwise but the concerns remain nonetheless. We shall see over the rest of the season though, long way to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â