Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know right? I literally had to leave the place because despite my own opinions towards him it was **** unbearable. 

He has turned it around. Fair play to him. Why is that so hard to accept? This isn't a competition, it doesn't mean anyone was 'wrong'. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I have no problem accepting that he is turning it around. He is doing a much better job.

Now what is really hard for some people to accept is everyone's right to their own opinion. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

yes

my concern is

How bad were QPR or how good were we.

One has to admit, some, most of their attempts to play out from the GK were either risky or just plain stupid. A better team or a better instructed team would have found a better way out from the back.

We were really, really good. You're thinking of one chance specifically, we capitalised on just about everything. We pressed, forced errors, cut them open. It was every bit as good as Preston, possibly the best we've played under Bruce.

If we played like that every week, which is unrealistic for any side to be fair, we'd piss the division. We're starting to get close to it more and more often though, which is great. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know right? I literally had to leave the place because despite my own opinions towards him it was **** unbearable. 

He has turned it around. Fair play to him. Why is that so hard to accept? This isn't a competition, it doesn't mean anyone was 'wrong'. 

oooh you missed loads

around about March it was a competition, since then it turned into a matter of Right over Wrong, life and death owning not only VT but the whole internet. People have quoted Shakespeare, even Trump has had a mention

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I have no problem accepting that he is turning it around. He is doing a much better job.

Now what is really hard for some people to accept is everyone's right to their own opinion. 

Agree on both points. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

One has to admit, some, most of their attempts to play out from the GK were either risky or just plain stupid. A better team or a better instructed team would have found a better way out from the back.

Fortunately for us there are not many better teams in the league at home. Unfortunately for us the ones that are have taken points off us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I don‘t know what this is suppose to mean

Well since we „won“ and they „lost“ they have had not only built up a better economy (with that a higher standard of living) and won the world cup 4 times to our 1

and guess which nation was supplying the „Naughty boys“ with fuel addatives (and continued to do so whilst showing the Italo‘s where the reverse lights were) and pretending to help the French?

For that he was a „word removed“ and will always remain so

Disclaimer - Him scoring 2 goals late on in a game has absolutely no relevance to his ability - or lack of it - however you wish to see it - as a manager

please dont

Trump & Corbyn will be next

like winning or losing

you were doing great till

this^

Yeah some people stick to their beliefs.

for example

I change my underwear daily, sometimes twice, not my mind....

.....where have you taken this thread?

I had to scroll back up on m iphone for 10mins to find out!

So we‘re in the Bruce thread - that means Bruce won the BoB despite being American and in 1893 he didnt score any goals because he was too busy eating a kebab with gaby leaning on McC‘s gate

it's this part i have issue with (not just you, but others too) at what point do you accept and are happy with Bruce in charge? promotion? secure premiership status? Europe?

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I didn’t answer the question re Baker for two reasons, one because we are straying well off topic and I was trying to keep it related to Bruce and second because I don’t really get the relevance specifically of Baker he wasn’t even the last player to go in the summer. I kind of assume it’s because you seemingly wanted them to bring in another CB.

But to answer the question re Baker, no I don’t think we would have been facing penalties had we not sold him. But so do think it’s unlikely that we would have continued to add players to the squad had we not done so or had the others not left after him.

We signed Onomah and Snodgrass after Baker, Cisshoko and Bacuna departed. I think it’s fair to assume the costs of the loans was in no small part offset by the fees and wages saved on those three and Baker.

Fair enough, that was kinda what I was getting at. 

I'm having a hard time believing that the combined fees received for Baker and Bacuna, as well as the wages saved from those two and Cissokho only allowed further funding for two players on a season long loan, especially as there was no rumour of a fee in either case. The closest I have found is a report that West Ham are paying £18k of Snodgrass's rumoured £50k a week wages. Amavi also departed, I believe, after those comments by Wyness.

I think it does relate to Bruce, seeing as the original post was aimed at him speaking out about the difficulties we/he face signing players. But I think we've reached an impasse anyway? 

Hopefully upon further discussion they can find a bit more for him in January because like you I think he has done extremely well with limited funding so far. 

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

F**** Poch

Onomah should be played where he is best suited, not for him to „learn from his mistakes“ here costing us goals and points.

:P

From our point of view, I couldn't agree more....but that was not my point.

someone mentioned why he was left on, i was just adding a point, that Poch made a few weeks ago.

Spurs were good enough to loan him to us and thats good for us, but they have an interest in the player too.....I was merely explaining a point Poch made.....whether you give  A flying **** or not.:P

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

I'm fairly certain either you or @TRO are in fact Steve Bruce. Maybe both of you :ph34r:

or from my point of view, i might defend him when i think the criticism is unfair, unhelpful  or not well established.:P

I have not called for his head at any time, but i did have a wobble.....just hoping I don't have another.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

it's this part i have issue with (not just you, but others too) at what point do you accept and are happy with Bruce in charge? promotion? secure premiership status? Europe?

In a nutshell

If DrT continues to periodically give motivational speeches that the players respond to and win us our way to promotion, then Bruce can add 1 more promotion to his previous 4 (with the subtitle - AV promoted despite me)

Then he can happily pack his bags full of kebabs to the MLS with the Beckhams.

If he needs a challenge after a while he can always go to Sunderland, get them back into the PL and show that hyserical Guardian Journalist that she was wrong all along

53 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

In a nutshell

If DrT continues to periodically give motivational speeches that the players respond to and win us our way to promotion, then Bruce can add 1 more promotion to his previous 4 (with the subtitle - AV promoted despite me)

If he needs a challenge after a while he can always go to Sunderland, get them back into the PL and show that hyserical Guardian Journalist that she was wrong all along

Snzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

First, I would like to apologize for any posts that ever sounded like gloating after we put in a shite performance.  

I will always think SB has not been efficient in making us better, and has made many errors that have slowed our progress.  I’m not at all confident he will get us promoted.  

But, based on the most recent results I think it’s best to leave him in place.  He MAY be (finally) producing team performances that will see us promoted.   For the time being I’m happy to leave SB in place, despite my doubts.

Having said that, I hope it’s clear that I can understand those that support him.  However,  I don’t understand the apparent need to criticize and ridicule those that still have doubts and complaints.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vreitti said:

Yes, and I'm still saying... Without RDMs signings we'd be in league one now. Bruce has in comparison signed far worse and spent more. Also he's been given two transfer windows, and ppl are still crying we need to sign more players. But hey I'm just manipulating facts.

He did not spend more than RDM so you are correct - you are not manipulating facts you are just stating falsehoods.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

But that works both ways, those of us who haven't been calling for his head (hourly) over the past 6 months have been subjected to a barrage of rants about why we should all want him out.

Anyone daring to think otherwise was branded a 'Bruce lover' or something equally as ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned and as with anything in this world, you reap what you sow.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But that works both ways, those of us who haven't been calling for his head (hourly) over the past 6 months have been subjected to a barrage of rants about why we should all want him out.

Anyone daring to think otherwise was branded a 'Bruce lover' or something equally as ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned and as with anything in this world, you reap what you sow.

Sounds like a kids playground "he started it"

I think there's been times and there's been people on both sides, who have been reluctant to accept the opinion from the other. 

It always happens on subjects people feel passionately about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ok? And yet yesterday I was being ridiculed because i was questioning his substitutions, even though I gave him credits for the win...hmmmm :blink:

But hey, I dont care, I stand by what i have said. He hasnt won me over...yet. He might do, but who knows. I still think the football he is playing is boring and dull and not fit for a club like Aston Villa. See you on the other side...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sounds like a kids playground "he started it"

I think there's been times and there's been people on both sides, who have been reluctant to accept the opinion from the other. 

It always happens on subjects people feel passionately about.

Definitely a strange amount of passion surrounding Steve Bruce!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

In a nutshell

not actually sure that answered my question...is your answer essentially 'never'?

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

Ok? And yet yesterday I was being ridiculed because i was questioning his substitutions, even though I gave him credits for the win...hmmmm :blink:

But hey, I dont care, I stand by what i have said. He hasnt won me over...yet. He might do, but who knows. I still think the football he is playing is boring and dull and not fit for a club like Aston Villa. See you on the other side...

no one should be ridiculed for your opinion, however i think the responses to your points were mainly because if i remember rightly, you worded them along the lines of 'learning from mistakes that were made in the QPR game', for which most folks believe there were none as at no point did we look like not winning the game. it doesnt deserve ridicule, but it definitely left a number of folks scratching their heads...

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

i'm sure if any of us could be arsed, we could find the first moment in this thread where someone was either ridiculed or subjected to rants...but who really cares? it's happened on both sides...it's just nice that things aren't too toxic on here at the moment!!

i'm sure the one thing we can agree on is that i cant think of any other manager that has divided the crowd so much!

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Your post was picked upon because you questioned his substitutions when it was absolutely the right thing to do, both in theory and in practice - we were not discussing a hypothetical situation, we had won the game.

You suggested bringing on attacking players when we were nursing a one goal lead away from home, I think to most people that probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

The difference between this and the wider Bruce discussion is that the notion that we would become better overnight by getting rid of Bruce is purely hypothetical, there is no factual evidence to suggest that we would be a better team without him in charge - I'm not saying we wouldn't be, but that there is no evidence on offer to support it.

That's the difference in the context of your post vs the wider Bruce discussion.

Had we drawn the game on the weekend then your question may have carried merit, in my view.

Â