Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're implying that it was harder for Bruce to get a good win % than Lambert or Sherwood. You are wrong for many many reasons, not least the fact that the other two WERE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE where it is obviously harder to get results. If you can't grasp that then I'll bow out of the conversation

Just to add to this, our squads in the PL were turd. Bruce has one of the best squads in the league to work with.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I still don't follow how Rafa's performance at Newcastle has any bearing on what I said about Villa managers' win percentages.

And this is the bloke who took Newcastle up as Champions. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If anything you've implied that if Bruce had the same win % as Lambert he'd be doing a BETTER job than Lambert did :D 

Oh Stevo I do enjoy our debates :mrgreen: I did not really imply that at all, but I think Bruce probably would have done no worse than lambert did in premier league level. I have without no doubt lambert would not do as well at championship level.

48 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So if crystal palace win a few games that will be classed as league title winning form. 

Bottom line is we didn't finish near the playoffs last year and we aren't in them yet. 

We've had a decent month, but we aren't in promotion places yet. 

Our form this season is not promotion form. You can pick a few games but then you could pick a few games to justify any point you wanted to make. 

Who has said that? We are talking about Bruce's recent form being one of the best in the league over 6 games. It's not as bad as some suggest. Yes it could be better but after ready a lot of doom on gloom I think it's abit crazy!

my point is that no team is promotion form on that basis as most are below us. I think regardless it's abit two early for talk of promotion form as a lot can happen and we are not even in October. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just to add to this, our squads in the PL were turd. Bruce has one of the best squads in the league to work with.

And this is the bloke who took Newcastle up as Champions. 

They are only champions because of us, they didn't run away with it like everyone thought. 

Our squad was turd we all know that but the point is sherwood had a huge budget and failed to even get close to Bruce's record 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

They are only champions because of us, they didn't run away with it like everyone thought. 

Our squad was turd we all know that but the point is sherwood had a huge budget and failed to even get close to Bruce's record 

No they were champions because over a 46 game season they got more points than everyone else. 

There are fans suggesting that a place off place should be viewed as success, and yet here we are having a little pop at Rafa because he "only just" WON the league" 

Just now, av1 said:

No they were champions because over a 46 game season they got more points than everyone else. 

There are fans suggesting that a place off place should be viewed as success, and yet here we are having a little pop at Rafa because he "only just" WON the league" 

Couldn't care less if we go up via play offs or automatic. People that do really need to stop complaining if that happens in my view.

if we get a play off place but don't go up yes I will agree it's a massive failure and Bruce should be sacked. It's all or nothing this year for him.

21 hours ago, briny_ear said:

There's "scrutiny", which, if done sensibly, factually and constructively,  is legitimate,

Then there is a constant chorus of how he is a "dinoasur", will never get us promoted, should be sacked immediately if we are to have a hope of surviving. And, worse, there is hoping we will lose matches so he will be sacked. That is all out of order in my view. It has been the dominant voice on Villatalk for months, and I guess other internet sites that I don't look at.

I think Bruce has every right to criticise that sort of nonsense - it would be an odd sort of world where people could hurl abuse at him on social media and he wasn't allowed to comment.

Whenever he criticises the hysteria on social media I nod in agreement.

There are always two sides to every coin and some may argue that  you don't " bite the hand that feeds"  some may also argue " short term pain for a longer term gain "

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Couldn't care less if we go up via play offs or automatic. People that do really need to stop complaining if that happens in my view.

if we get a play off place but don't go up yes I will agree it's a massive failure and Bruce should be sacked. It's all or nothing this year for him.

The end goal is promotion, i agree, however it comes. But i genuinely believe that this squad should be aiming much higher, and the reason it isn't is because of Bruce. 

If will go up i will give Bruce credit, but all things considered, the squad, the football, and his career to date, i still wouldn't want him leading us into a PL campaign. 

He will have done a half decent job to get this squad promoted but i believe there are many half decent managers that could do the same. The really good ones (like Rafa at Newcastle) would be aiming for nothing less than automatic promotion. 

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

The end goal is promotion, i agree, however it comes. But i genuinely believe that this squad should be aiming much higher, and the reason it isn't is because of Bruce. 

If will go up i will give Bruce credit, but all things considered, the squad, the football, and his career to date, i still wouldn't want him leading us into a PL campaign. 

He will have done a half decent job to get this squad promoted but i believe there are many half decent managers that could do the same. The really good ones (like Rafa at Newcastle) would be aiming for nothing less than automatic promotion. 

I agree with a lot of that mate

The one thing I would say though is the rebuilding job we had in comparison to Newcastle was huge. Let's not forget Newcastle battered spurs 5-1 last game so you saw signs they had a very good side for this level.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You are aware we are in the top 3 form guide at the moment? If that is not promotion form then hardly any sides in the league are! :mrgreen:

FYI

we can be in "top3 form" a number of times this season but if our position is not top6 (at least for playoffs - which is still underachieving) then having "form" a few times a season still wont get us promoted.

A quick explanation how the league works is:

For us to get promoted this season we have to - after all 46 games have been played - be either one of the top 2 points achievers (best Goal difference/goals scored if ties mean 2nd/3rd places have equal pts)

- Form tables and win percentages are not 100% determined of who finishes top2/6

OR

achieve enough pts (goal difference/goals scored determine when pts are equaled across 3rd-7th or lower) for the playoffs. Then win our way through to the playoff final AND win the final either after 90mins + Injurytime or Extra time or Penalties

- Note - form tables and win percentages again do NOT determine these positions.

Has Bruce at any point since he's been here had us:

1 - Top 2?

2 - Top 6?

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

FYI

we can be in "top3 form" a number of times this season but if our position is not top6 (at least for playoffs - which is still underachieving) then having "form" a few times a season still wont get us promoted.

A quick explanation how the league works is:

For us to get promoted this season we have to - after all 46 games have been played - be either one of the top 2 points achievers (best Goal difference/goals scored if ties mean 2nd/3rd places have equal pts)

- Form tables and win percentages are not 100% determined of who finishes top2/6

OR

achieve enough pts (goal difference/goals scored determine when pts are equaled across 3rd-7th or lower) for the playoffs. Then win our way through to the playoff final AND win the final either after 90mins + Injurytime or Extra time or Penalties

- Note - form tables and win percentages again do NOT determine these positions.

Has Bruce at any point since he's been here had us:

1 - Top 2?

2 - Top 6?

But equally the teams occupying the top 3 places are no more sure of staying there than we or any other team are of replacing them.

you can only look at the thing game by game......and win it.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh Stevo I do enjoy our debates :mrgreen: I did not really imply that at all, but I think Bruce probably would have done no worse than lambert did in premier league level. I have without no doubt lambert would not do as well at championship level.

Yes you did. You said Bruce took over in harder circumstances. i.e. it was harder for him to get a good win percentage. Therefore if it was harder for him, then getting the same as Lambert would mean he was doing better.

See how ludicrous that is?

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

But there are so many contradictory points on here......Rafa walked away with it and David Wagner scraped in, last season......currently wagner is doing well and Rafa is struggling......form and fortune is a moving feast, we seem to get too hung up about the slightest set back as if the whole slight improvement is over.

we as fans need to be a bit more resillient.

we have had so many setbacks, its affecting our judgment......teams have dips, it happens, unless maybe you are the very best, but even they, in their own way have dips too......Arsenal have their detractors.....would you believe.

I agree with you.....promotion., i couldn't care less if we went up on a crowd behaviour award.

lets just love our club again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

It's sooo much fun on the magical Steven Bruce roundabout. Round and round we go, just like the wheels on the bus, except the bus is going somewhere and the magical Steven Bruce roundabout just goes reassuringly round and round. Forever. Hell, even Steven Bruce is round. I don't like Steven Bruce, or Steven Round for that matter.

Why does that post induce visions of Jasper Carrot.?  "Of all the Gin joints  " .

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Well 6 games means we are in good form. I've got no issue admitting that. We are and I think it will continue over the next few games. 

IMO, you can't just pick a small sample of games and claim it's promotion form. For me promotion form is averaging the amount of points that will usually get you promoted. We aren't at that point and my original post on the matter said if we do I think there will be a lot less concerns and calls for the manager to leave. 

I can bet about a billion pounds that if we'd have lost the last 2 or 3 games, people would be saying we're in "relegation form".

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's the best team goal I've seen us score in years. 

Wow. 

Time.:)

We will prove to be a good side.....not even there yet....but we will be.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I can bet about a billion pounds that if we'd have lost the last 2 or 3 games, people would be saying we're in "relegation form".

If we'd lost the last 3 we'd be on 6 points and more than likely in the relegation zone and averaging a points per game that would result in relegation so they'd be right to have said it. 

It wouldn't have been based on just 3 games. 

Â