Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Feel a bit sorry for Brucey, he's had a shocking few months personally but he's kept it together admirably. I remember how bad things were at Villa Park, toxic atmosphere, no passion, no wins and no hope. He has reversed that, he has changed Grealish into a more effective player and he has given the fans something to cheer about. Winning yesterday would have been the icing on the cake, but it wasn't to be. Maybe it's time for him to move on, if he does then i hope he is remembered as the ex Villa gaffer and not Mr Potato Head.

• Like 1

Not getting us second or better is a sackable offense, not managing us to create a single chance with 11 vs. 10 over 20 minutes is too. Steve Bruce needs to go, he is a very, very dull manager without any clever ideas. A huge travesty not getting us up in the Premier League. God... another year in the fecking Championship, it's so bloody sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

When you say he has to sort it out - do you not think he has had long enough to address such issues? 

‘I am neither calling for his head or calling for him to stay - he’s done enough to make it a difficult call for xia .

I don't know....I have already said, he fixed the culture problem with experienced  players, but ,bought a different problem, with pace and energy.

He now has to sort out the next challenge.....inject pace, energy and in my view a bit of muscle in key areas.

depending on the extent of the problems, that dictates the length of time it takes.

I have no idea what constitutes, reasonable or unreasonable, in terms of time.

The thing that may go against him in any meetings is the predictability of the performance and lack of fight, in the first half.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Having watched the game for the second time....we could so easily have won that.

I think we miss so many opportunities from crosses, because there is no aerial nous.....and futhermore we lose aerial ball too many times in general.

Next Season, I would play with 2 up front as a fixture.....with one like Mitrovic, Murray or Woods, in terms of style and stature and one playing off him probably Kodjia, depending if he has recovered.

We are so predictable and lightweight around the box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

But people keep telling me we're not a big club anymore. There should be no genuine expectation or pressure. We can't even mention managers like Eddie Howe, and Aston Villa in the same sentence. Here you are saying we're in fact massive ?. Now I'm really confused.... Which is it!? 

I didn’t say we are not a big club. I said a top manager will not want to manage us without money to spend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I didn’t say we are not a big club. I said a top manager will not want to manage us without money to spend. 

You are right.....so that rules out most of the ones we would want.

I think we’ll look back on Steve Bruce’s time here with pride and thanks, he has accomplished a lot given how he found us. But I just can’t see the future with him, we have  players like Calum o hare and rhm and they must come in next season. It’s not Bruce’s formula. The alternative is to repeat this season’s formula, which could work, but a it’s also a gamble. I think Tony’s instinct will be to emulate wolves, get an agent on board and sod ffp. 

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I don't really want to wade in to this part of the discussion, but I will add this.

If Newcastle can get Benitez in the championship, then you are correct @vreitti we should be looking at managers of a high calibre, whether they decide to come or not is their challenge to face.

I believe that we are still perceived to be a big club by many - as I do of Leeds Utd - who we all know change managers as regularly as I change socks - I can't remember who said it recently  but it was a manager who who on getting the job said when Leeds come knocking you listen and I feel the same applies to Villa, Eddie Howe has done amazing things with Bournemouth but I don't expect them to remain a premier league team  - so who knows the lure of trying to return a giant to former glories might just appeal to him ?

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I think we’ll look back on Steve Bruce’s time here with pride and thanks, he has accomplished a lot given how he found us. But I just can’t see the future with him, we have  players like Calum o hare and rhm and they must come in next season. It’s not Bruce’s formula. The alternative is to repeat this season’s formula, which could work, but a it’s also a gamble. I think Tony’s instinct will be to emulate wolves, get an agent on board and sod ffp. 

I think that depends on if and when we go back up. If we end up staying down here then we wasted our period where we had an advantage over the vast majority of the league by sticking with him. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I'm afraid I don't share this view - ultimately in my view for what it's worth he has now failed twice in succession and I look back with disappointment over anything else - given what has been made available to him during his tenure I just can't see how his time here is anything but a major sense of failure 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I think we’ll look back on Steve Bruce’s time here with pride and thanks

I won’t, he had all the tools at his disposal to gain promotion and he failed. 

We now face a future of uncertainty, thanks in the most part to him gambling on an ageing squad to do the business. 

Edited by jim

Do we sell some of our better players and try once again to fund a promotion push but going with experienced players ? 

or 

Do we promote our youth players, and try a completely different approach 

Bruce I am sure would go again bringing in older heads - I think he would be less comfortable relying too heavily on young guns - in which case Xia wyness may decide its time for a change.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

No brainer for me, Dean Smith with a remit to build a young side around Grealish, 2 year project.

Bruce has failed, he's had time, and with either avoiding the shit start, the december slump or the post Wolves collapse we'd havce been top 2. I'm guessing a better manager would have avoided one of the 3. Not a failure for the play off final, was very fine lines there, we paid for one mistake, the ref was off his **** tiny mind and we could still have scored one or two fo the great chances we had.

The failure is having 11 games shy of two full seasons, 3 transfer windows, a pre season, to sort out our problems. He did a great job in turning us around, he did a great job in making us hard to score against and beat for the most part, but apart from a few games he failed to get us playing convincingly with the ball. As a result 4th was fair but 4th was way below par for the money spent and the wages paid. Transfer policy under RDM is a mitigating factor but it's no reason for him to be in charge for the rebuild needed this summer, or for him to have another go next season.

He's a sound bloke, he's given it everything through very hard times and deserves nothing but respect but we need a new approach, we need a new start.

I’m sure Dean Smith is a lovely bloke and he has done really well in getting Brentford to the level of a mid-table Championship club.

But tne man to sort out Villa? Not a chance.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

Â