Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

I agree, but in fairness that isn't a massive achievement....

Are you for real? The job bruce has done has been absolutely remarkable. The team was a mess, we had a fan Base who were frustrated. We were 18th and in two years he has taken us to a play off final on a very limited budget.

We owe him a hell of a lot. If he takes us up he will be the messiah. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I am afraid I cannot agree with this - so far he has achieved the minimum expected of him imo - if we don't make it over the line - he surely has to go, I can't see how this could be classed as a remarkable job if this is the case.

There have been some strong squads this year minimum is very harsh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Are you for real? The job bruce has done has been absolutely remarkable. The team was a mess, we had a fan Base who were frustrated. We were 18th and in two years he has taken us to a play off final on a very limited budget.

We owe him a hell of a lot. If he takes us up he will be the messiah. 

a limited budget ?

• Like 3

I'd like to see more consistancy, this is why I think we cannot keep Bruce. We are feeling good at the moment with the Wembley final coming, but lets not forget, we could have quite easily been home an dry had we not bottled it against a poor, QPR, Bolton, Hull and then Norwich, these were more than winnable games, an we was supposed to be on top form. We had our chances...........

I can forgive though, but the football at against Fulham at Wembley needs to be the best we have seen all season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Remind me what he spent this summer?

Barring Hogan how big have his other signings been?

Terry wages

Grabban wages

Snodgrass wages

Hourihane

Bree

Bjarnason

Whelan wages

Lansbury

Bruce has done well but he hasnt done it on the cheap

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Remind me what he spent this summer?

Barring Hogan how big have his other signings been?

Mate if the manager at PSG only got 20 mill to spend this summer and finished 4th or 5th would it be ok because he had a "limited budget"?

How do we conveniently pretend like we don't have the most expensive squad in the league? smh

And AGAIN he signed half a team the January prior in agreement that they were going to throw it all at promotion last season and failing that, give the signings time to bed in the go at it this season with the aim being to go up automatically.

With full knowledge that it would affect the summers budget.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Don't quite understand why so many people here seem to wilfully overlook the point that Bruce had to turn around a club that was an absolute train wreck for years, as if all he had to do was spend the Docs money and we'd win the league.

He's not Pep... but he's cleansed Villa from top to bottom and turned us into a decent side with great morale and a decent shout of promotion in his first full season. I think he's done a top job, and I'm glad we have him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have to refrain myself from commenting whenever I read this "limited budget" bollox again on here.

It's almost intelligence insulting.

He's not had to do it on a shoestring, no one is denying that but some people seem to think that if we get promoted we've done it on a chequebook, which is absolute tripe. 

The beauty of resorting to wages is we don't really know what people are on, so people can just assume we're paying people a truckload when we're probably not (in football la la land terms). 

Terry yes, obviously, but we know we weren't the highest bidder so consider that for a second. 

The players that came down will have had a reduction, as Bruce has confirmed in terms of it affecting morale. 

Names like lansbury and bjarnason are tossed in, I could be wrong, but my uninformed opinion would be that they're probably on less than some assume. 

As is continually repeated, he's only spent big on one player, we spent what? £2M in the summer? Boro spent £55M, for the record. 

He has good resources at his disposal for sure, again, no one is denying that but he's worked wonders frankly in bringing in the quality he has, versus the budget he's had. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Depressing that in the run up to one of our biggest match in years some people seem determined to focus on briefing against the manager. I suppose no-one should be surprised as this has been a constant theme all season. But you might think it could be dropped just for a few days to concentrate on the 26th May.

Hear, hear.

Irrespective of individual stance on Bruce, you can't argue as to whether or not the door is open to him completing our objective.

It's a time to be celebrated.

13 hours ago, thabucks said:

I must admit I'm very guilty of using my own snobbery towards Bruce's style of football cloud my judgement and I've been too overtly critical at times for sure. Yesterday I threw my toys out of the pram during the first half ... in hindsight bad call... I have to give Bruce the credit he is due... that's not to say I have changed my mind on him on a personal level but he is one game away from getting us promoted and even I can't knock him for that. Always wanted to be proved wrong and hopefully will be soon ! 

If he gets us promoted, then I'll happily doff my cap, but wasn't that what he was brought here to do ?

All this talk of togetherness and a great team spirit, that's all well and good, but without promotion, for me at least, it won't compensate for my disappointment. Let's not forget ,automatic promotion was in our grasp and we let it inexplicably slip. 

I really hope he gets us up, but let's remember, if we do, we certainly made it more difficult than it had to be. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Or the team we just beat last night.....who have probably spent more than us.

The spending you talk about as if we have done something out of the ordinary is very dubious.

i actually think a team like Aston Villa....should be spending big, but we don't due to FFP.

sure the wages are bigger, but that just gets the players to come.....it guarantee's nothing.

but so far, like it or lump it.....the job is in hand.

Surely you see how somewhat negate your own point ?

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I can forgive though, but the football at against Fulham at Wembley needs to be the best we have seen all season.

Or at least as good as when we beat them earlier in the season ;)

24 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Just re-watched the match. The ESPN commentator mentioned that Boro have scored in every match since February 17th until they met us in the play offs.

Credit to you for putting yourself through that again! Horrid game! Good atmosphere though!

Bruce deserves credit.. i sitll dont think hes the man to take us forward if we are promoted. But credit to him for turning this club around. JT has been a huge influence in the attitude and training of the players and JT himself credits Bruce for getting him to VP. 

I just hope we can get promoted so he can get the credit he deserves. I think we under estimate how bad of a state this club was in. 

Â