Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 11/05/2018 at 15:47, USA_Villa said:

Let me reply to your observations:

• Inherited a team in 22nd place, as of writing in 4th place - But with one of, if not  the, largest payrolls and transfer funds in the division. Should be better than 4th
  • Demonstrable track record of winning promotion from this division - Really, are we still playing that old tune. It all comes down to the next two weeks.
  • Best season we've had in many years in terms of points gained, games won and goals scored - We are in the Championship with one of the most expensive squads every built for this division. Whoop De Du
  • Has the ability and network to bring in players like Terry, Snodgrass, Grabban etc - No, Money does that
  • Has worked to a relatively tight budget, particularly in the past 12 months - No he hasn't, plus he's spent a lot of money on average ageing players
  • Has installed an excellent team spirit (seemingly so, at least) - Don't care about team spirit. I want promotion.
  • We actually win games screened live on TV now - I can't believe you even included this one
  • Unbeaten vs the shite - A good one
  • Shown immense professionalism through truly difficult personal circumstances - Tough times, responded well. However, continually has a go at the fans when we pass judgement on losses or performances. Where's his immense professionalism then?

The next two to three games will define his tenure at Aston Villa. If we don't go up he has to go.

It's such an American perspective in sport, victory or defeat, you don't even allow draws in your sports, you play on until someone wins (assuming you're American). 

Thankfully we have a different culture. 

People calling fo Bruce to be sacked even if we get promoted? Some people are embarrassing.

We'd be the laughing stock of football.

i honestly don't believe that the people on here who moan about Bruce go to games because the atmosphere around Villa Park is 100% better than it was two seasons ago.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, London Villa said:

People calling fo Bruce to be sacked even if we get promoted? Some people are embarrassing.

We'd be the laughing stock of football.

It depends who you replace him with. Southampton did it to Atkins, got criticised, but got a better manager. 

I’m not against Bruce staying, but if the opportunity is there to get someone better then we’d be stupid not to consider them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It depends who you replace him with. Southampton did it to Atkins, got criticised, but got a better manager. 

I’m not against Bruce staying, but if the opportunity is there to get someone better then we’d be stupid not to consider them. 

Knowing they are better in advance of them coming is a gamble.

so you take the gamble and the "better manager" does not manifest itself on to the pitch.

There is no going back.....and disruption reigns once again, with all the ugliness, it brings......and my god, its ugly.

as the saying goes....."if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"

33 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

All sentimentality aside, if Rafa came in I would be over the moon - and he is gettable.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

Knowing they are better in advance of them coming is a gamble.

so you take the gamble and the "better manager" does not manifest itself on to the pitch.

There is no going back.....and disruption reigns once again, with all the ugliness, it brings......and my god, its ugly.

as the saying goes....."if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"

Of course it’s a gamble, but every time you bring in a manager or player to replace someone it’s a gamble. 

But you have to move forward and like I say if the opportunity is there you have to take it. 

Again, I’m not saying Bruce has to go, far from it, just that as a club we should always be looking to improve.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We did a good tactical job on them but the absolute lack of football that we played in the second half was extremely concerning and we were lucky not to concede based on the amount of possession we allowed them to have in a dangerous areas.

The concern is that with a one goal lead we have a similar approach in the return leg and that a Boro with an 'all or nothing' attitude might just find the quality to turn us over. We have to be more aggressive and do far more with the ball rather than simply boot it back to them, which is what we almost exclusively did in that second half.

That is spot on for me. We stopped playing football far too early, we weren't even trying to play on the break, just clearing it up the field. 

I was surprised at Boro's lack of quality in that game, I fear they may be better next time.

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Is not surprising.....not to me.

Pulis/ Bruce/ Warnock all in the top 6

I wonder why:D

because they bloody know the game in this league.

And the Wolves and Fulham managers ? Just bloody good managers, I suppose.

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

So I take it you were shouting it too ?

Not sure if you read what my post was in response to....which was someone saying TRO was maybe exaggerating the support Bruce gets in real life as opposed to on the Internet from some......I was just pointing out that the support was there. What happens in the future is in the future. I also mentioned the absence of negative comments, and I’ve experienced that all season, very very few fans at games want Bruce out.

And I was just pointing out how fickle Villa supporters can be. As you well know. Let's just hope we're promoted ,and then who gives a hoot ?

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

I'm sure this is not over confidence but Boro have to score twice (or pens) with no reply - for the likes of Real Madrid that is not an issue but a Pullis team with one outlet who we nullified, I honestly think it is beyond them. I'm not a Bruce champion, but he will probably get us to the final.

I agree.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

They also did it recently... got rid of Puel who got them to 8th and replaced him someone who they thought would be better - nearly ended in tears! :)

It is a gamble, but if Bruce does get us up then he deserves to stay IMO. 

• Like 1

Bruce for me has done some great work off the pitch. The atmosphere, the togetherness and camaraderie at the club is miles apart from the toxic and bitter mess he inherited. 

We seem to be a team now and it shows. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Bruce for me has done some great work off the pitch. The atmosphere, the togetherness and camaraderie at the club is miles apart from the toxic and bitter mess he inherited. 

We seem to be a team now and it shows. 

Agreed.

Also that the club has cleared out pretty much all of the squad that went down and built an entire new squad and has a new owner helps a lot with this.

How many are left from when we went down? Hutton, Grealish. And then Green, Bunn. Gabby, and Richards who hasn't really featured.

Villa are a totally different club from the one that was relegated and Bruce has a part in this even thou I put it more down to Xia.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Of course it’s a gamble, but every time you bring in a manager or player to replace someone it’s a gamble. 

But you have to move forward and like I say if the opportunity is there you have to take it. 

Again, I’m not saying Bruce has to go, far from it, just that as a club we should always be looking to improve.

But when you have nothing to lose, its easier.....We have now....We have momentum.

Yes, I am all for improvement and progress.

I just happen to think we can still do that with the man we have.

when I go to the game I'm 100% behind Bruce and the team  however if it is okay for some outside of that I'm a critic of his in game management and tactical acumen. A better manager then Pullis would of switched play earlier and taken advantage of the fact we struggle to put two coherent halves together and ceased the  initiative which was there for  the taking. Luckily Bruce was up against a like minded manager. Makes me no more or less a Villa fan sharing my personal views on Bruce than the next. 

• Like 4

That was exactly the way we needed to play yesterday. Keep it tight and make sure we brought at least a draw back to VP. To get a win was a dream result. 

Fully confident we’ll get the job done on Tuesday. Bruce has this under control. 

• Like 2

Â