Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Yes but Terry - we haven't always been this way - I think under SB we have been poorer longer than we have been good imo - it's only since this xmas do I think we have shown much in the way of consistency and an upturn in the fayre on offfer.

i'm not sure to many fans would have been that upset if he had the bullet in December ?

I honestly would not call him a top man - I think  better than average man is more applicable again imo 

Steve Bruce currently has our best win rate % as a manager since 1982 so your thinking that we have been poorer longer  than better is completely wrong. Only a minority wanted him gone in December but thankfully we stuck with him and now have the biggest game for us in a long time. I'll agree he's no pep guadiola but he was what we needed at the time and should we get up he will be definalty what we need In order to stay there. 

9 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Steve Bruce currently has our best win rate % as a manager since 1982 so your thinking that we have been poorer longer  than better is completely wrong. Only a minority wanted him gone in December but thankfully we stuck with him and now have the biggest game for us in a long time. I'll agree he's no pep guadiola but he was what we needed at the time and should we get up he will be definalty what we need In order to stay there. 

This is good, but blatantly misleading.

The most obvious response is that we are in the CHAMPIONSHIP so how can you compare Premier League managers records, less/more games, higher/lower level etc etc?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The most obvious response is that we are in the CHAMPIONSHIP so how can you compare Premier League managers records, less/more games, higher/lower level etc etc?

I'd still choose Brucey over Sherwood, Remi Garde & Erick Bloody Black (the 3 clowns who took our great club down.)

I'd also take him over Lambert, McCleish, MON and Houllier for that matter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Not sure what bit of my posts have rubbed you up the wrong way, but would be interested to know.

In the main to my knowledge we generally agree.....albeit we all have slight differences of opinion.

Nothing really I meant it light hearted sorry mate if it didn’t come out that way.........

.......I just noticed you’d agreed about the quality etc needing to be better and I thought it was an amusing opportunity to suggest you were knocking the guy ?.....I’ve no issue with anything you’ve said..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Yes but Terry - we haven't always been this way - I think under SB we have been poorer longer than we have been good imo - it's only since this xmas do I think we have shown much in the way of consistency and an upturn in the fayre on offfer.

i'm not sure to many fans would have been that upset if he had the bullet in December ?

I honestly would not call him a top man - I think  better than average man is more applicable again imo 

I agree completely - for the first year I thought we were poor far too often. My biggest criticism of him over that period was we seemed formless and negative. I was indeed someone who wanted him gone.  Had the positions been reversed - the poorer stuff following the better stuff - I’d 100% still want him gone. But for me the upturn as you put it has been real, good, and overall looked like a permanent thing, so I’m more than happy now.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

That’s a slightly perplexing account of how our season went. By the end of December we were 7th - only out of the top 6 on account of fewer goals scored.

Since December we have certainly consolidated and improved on that performance but there has not been a massive change.

Arguably our most damaging spell of poor form was in March and early April when 4 points from 15 against relatively weak teams lost us the 2nd place we had worked so hard to achieve.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was responding to the point where someone said we've been poor longer under Bruce than better, a 44% win rate is good no matter what division you are in but even more so when you look at the state he took us over in. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

That's your view which I totally respect - however it is not one that I share with you.

• Like 1

Bruce’s win percentage is entirely valid as a stat. We are not a premiership team in the championship, we are a championship team in the championship. The win rate is relative to the quality of the league. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Bruce’s win percentage is entirely valid as a stat. We are not a premiership team in the championship, we are a championship team in the championship. The win rate is relative to the quality of the league. 

Very true and the last two seasons has seen the championship quality been so high espically this one with wolves havibg players like neves and jota

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'd still choose Brucey over Sherwood, Remi Garde & Erick Bloody Black (the 3 clowns who took our great club down.)

I'd also take him over Lambert, McCleish, MON and Houllier for that matter.

Even though I don't particularly enjoy Bruce's brand of football, I'm actually inclined to agree here. Wow, I suppose that in fact makes Bruce the best manager we've had for the last 10 years or so. The competition is hardly worth mentioning, but it's still a huge testament to Bruce's ability, which I'll admit I've been overly critical of.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jareth said:

If we go up and Bruce stays then it will be more of the same - but that is probably what we will need in order to get a footing in the prem. 

It really is.

I said it before but look at how Huddersfield and especially newcastle have stayed up this season.

Strong defences, don't get hammered, and win the games you target as winnable. Newcastle's season has been a bit of a masterclass in how to stay up when promoted.

A bit of caution is an asset when you get promoted. Yes we'd all like to be that team that plays amazing football and takes the league by storm, but in reality it isn't going to happen.

Good football is football that gets results.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair he's not comparing it.

He's just stating a fact. It is the best since 1982.

You cannot conclude from that that bruce is better than, say, MON because as you say the records aren't directly comparable across leagues.

But you can say that it's a pretty good indication that Bruce has done pretty well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I do have qualms about no player being up the pitch when the opposition have a corner, not sure where you got that from......but I am not about to tell SB how to do his job...its his call.

His caution is an integral part of all what he does and Sam and David Moyes, should not have lost their jobs imo.

when he gets promotion, the better quality, could well dilute his cautious approach, but some of it is a virtue to be honest....the degree is subjective.

you seem to be of the belief, we should be blowing teams away, every week, sheepy....to get rid of those fiercely crossed fingers......I think that is ambitious at best.

have some respect for opposing teams and their ambitions.

So now you do have qualms about us  having everyone in the opposition s box, when they get a corner ?

Check some of your earlier posts. It's not something I'm going to make up ?

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It really is.

I said it before but look at how Huddersfield and especially newcastle have stayed up this season.

Strong defences, don't get hammered, and win the games you target as winnable. Newcastle's season has been a bit of a masterclass in how to stay up when promoted.

A bit of caution is an asset when you get promoted. Yes we'd all like to be that team that plays amazing football and takes the league by storm, but in reality it isn't going to happen.

Good football is football that gets results.

Try telling that to West Ham and Everton fans ?

Â