Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

What is lol about that?

He's asking people to get behind the team when we're hours away from the second leg of a playoff semi final.

And you respond with lol.

Great, no doubt there'll be a follow up lol if we lose this evening.

This is a forum for people to debate and have a bit of a critical lens. Nothing I said was un-supportive, simply flagging a bit of a concern. I don't get all this nonsense of telling others to 'get behind the team', everyone on here wants us to win and go through to the final and then win that. No one is 'not behind' the team.

• Like 1

Think Bruce has reached the end of the season and possibly mentally a point where he is breaking with protocol, as he rightly says about Grealish and in doing so slates previous managers (very unBruce):

“It wasn’t just on the pitch that I needed John Terry,” Bruce said. “It was to deal with a dressing room that had been toxic for years. It was important Jack Grealish could see a top pro like Terry and think: ‘This is how you do it.’ By the time Jack was 21 he had had seven different managers all telling him different bullshit. He needed stability and focus.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/15/jack-grealish-found-focus-aston-villa-steve-bruce

Tim Sherwood springs to mind.....

Edited by Jareth

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is a forum for people to debate and have a bit of a critical lens. Nothing I said was un-supportive, simply flagging a bit of a concern. I don't get all this nonsense of telling others to 'get behind the team', everyone on here wants us to win and go through to the final and then win that. No one is 'not behind' the team.

Well your reply didn't read that way and the same sniping is still going on from the same quarters as it has been all season long, despite the fact we have the biggest game of many a season tonight, forgive me if I seem sensitive but I'd have thought people may have more on their mind than point scoring on VT today. 

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well your reply didn't read that way and the same sniping is still going on from the same quarters as it has been all season long, despite the fact we have the biggest game of many a season tonight, forgive me if I seem sensitive but I'd have thought people may have more on their mind than point scoring on VT today. 

It did read exactly that way, stop being so sensitive man.

On 13/05/2018 at 23:08, sheepyvillian said:

I was slightly disappointed with the way we Sat back in the second half, I thought we could of been more attacking.

I don't think Bruce is ever going to lose that cautious streak, it's not like we don't have the players to move the ball forward with pace. 

I'm even more convinced should we go up, that a new manager with a better IQ for tactics should be brought in. Maybe someone like Wagner, I think he's worked wonders in keeping Huddersfield up.

I know it's not going to happen should we get promoted, but for me, he's not the man to take us to future glory.

This is fairly classic anti-Bruce stuff. 

You cannot honestly want Bruce out because he's "too cautious" and then replace him with Wagner?  He's even more cautious!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This is fairly classic anti-Bruce stuff. 

You cannot honestly want Bruce out because he's "too cautious" and then replace him with Wagner?  He's even more cautious!

It's extra frustrating because actually being cautious is often the way promoted teams stay in the league when they get promoted to the Prem. Wagner has done it this season.

Rafa has been one of the best performing managers in the Prem by focusing on defence.

But if bruce were to do it, the knives would be out!

• Like 2

On 14/05/2018 at 07:38, sheepyvillian said:

I was slightly disappointed with the way we Sat back in the second half, I thought we could of been more attacking.

I don't think Bruce is ever going to lose that cautious streak, it's not like we don't have the players to move the ball forward with pace. 

I'm even more convinced should we go up, that a new manager with a better IQ for tactics should be brought in. Maybe someone like Wagner, I think he's worked wonders in keeping Huddersfield up.

I know it's not going to happen should we get promoted, but for me, he's not the man to take us to future glory.

Have you seen the football Huddersfield had been playing? Wagner did just what he needed to keep them up! If was very Bruce like!

Wagner really isn't the best example of someone that plays more attacking football. He's done an unbelievable job but even during their promotion season 22 out of their 25 wins were by a single goal and they were the second lowest scorers in the top half. They then scored once in 330 minutes during the play offs and had to rely on the lottery of winning successive penalty shoot outs.

There are definitely reasons to suggest Wagner as a candidate for our next manager, attacking, exciting football is not one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Have you seen the football Huddersfield had been playing? Wagner did just what he needed to keep them up! If was very Bruce like!

There's a big difference with the finances of Huddersfield and Aston Villa.

Anyway,  I thought promotion was all that mattered at the moment. ( smile )

23 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So we sack Bruce get Wagner in give him £80 million then hope he plays attacking football.

I don't think there's a team outside the top 6 who even attempts to play attacking football, Palace tried it with de boer for about 4 games, look where that got them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrytini said:

He had done it tactically in the past, but not for a long time. Saturday was good pressure from them plus as you rightly say being less than 100% up top

You are quite right, he did do it in the past, when he was trying to stop the rot in the early days....He said so himself, so he was quite mindful of what he was doing, albeit a short term fix.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's extra frustrating because actually being cautious is often the way promoted teams stay in the league when they get promoted to the Prem. Wagner has done it this season.

Rafa has been one of the best performing managers in the Prem by focusing on defence.

But if bruce were to do it, the knives would be out!

There is a slight difference in level and expectation here, wouldn't you agree?

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You need your striker to hold it up and relieve the pressure. The way Mitrovic did today. The were literally blasting the ball at him and he was holding off defenders to relieve pressure. Davis did it superbly early on the season but I think after a few bad games he lost confidence in himself a bit. 

Unfortunately after what I saw Saturday i don’t think Kodjia is fit enough to contribute this season. The games are way too important and too intense for players not at their best physically and mentally no matter how talented they may be. 

spot on.

been saying it for some time....a Murray or a Woods....a Milosevic would have been useful or a Carew.

The best teams don't need them.....but, they are the best teams.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

But FFP has created a level playing field.....those days are gone for a while sheepy( relating to transfer fee's)

Ain't done Sunderland much good, either, has it.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

It is really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

So we sack Bruce get Wagner in give him £80 million then hope he plays attacking football.

I don't think there's a team outside the top 6 who even attempts to play attacking football, Palace tried it with de boer for about 4 games, look where that got them. 

i actually think he would have been OK in the end...they started to play some nice stuff, battered a team (cant remember who) but ended up losing which cost his job. were bruce to leave i would consider him

4 hours ago, TRO said:

But FFP has created a level playing field.....those days are gone for a while sheepy( relating to transfer fee's)

Ain't done Sunderland much good, either, has it.

.A level playing field ? Try telling that to most of the teams in the Premiership ?

Edited by sheepyvillian

5 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Do much for ffp, providing a level playing field.

IMO, we're as potentially as big a team as Spurs. I don't see them playing defensive football. And maybe that's why there where they are now. Nothing wrong with ambition. We are Aston Villa, after all.

Â