Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villan_007 said:

Yep - within that criticism. It's gone from 9mill, 12mill, 14mill and then 15mill in the article above. I agree with the criticism by the way.

But it was reported as £15m at the time, that article even includes a link to one from January when we signed him and that states £15m. In fact I've just don't a search on Google for Villa sign Hogan which brings up lots of contemporary articles from January and they all seem to consistently say £15m.

So if anything I think people have perhaps understated his cost rather than inflated it.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

But it was reported as £15m at the time, that article even includes a link to one from January when we signed him and that states £15m. In fact I've just don't a search on Google for Villa sign Hogan which brings up lots of contemporary articles from January and they all seem to consistently say £15m.

So if anything I think people have perhaps understated his cost rather than inflated it.

Interesting. I always thought it was 9mill initially and rising to 12 based on promotion and all the little extras they throw in. Was listening to WM last week where the hogan / bruce thing was discussed. A few said between 9-12 on there.

I googled hogan signs for villa and see the bbc saying could rise to 12.

24 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Interesting. I always thought it was 9mill initially and rising to 12 based on promotion and all the little extras they throw in. Was listening to WM last week where the hogan / bruce thing was discussed. A few said between 9-12 on there.

My understanding was that it was £12m rising to £15m with add on's, there is no way we would have got him for £9m, it was widely reported that West Ham had £10m and £12.5m bids rejected. 

So I think it's safe to say the fee is in the region of £12-15m, thanks to Bruce it's probably closer to the £12m currently!!!

I don't though think the figure is being misrepresented as a means of criticism of Bruce. Besides there is enough to be critical of him for without creating reasons.

• Like 1

If Bruce hasnt gone by Kick-off v Brentford - Our chances of promotion have gone.

Undoing what he's done to the players and our pts total will all be thrown away during a fixture run in Sept that would have been perfect for a new guy (Jokanovic - Smith..... anybody) to come in and start getting us up and beyond 2ppg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

If Bruce hasnt gone by Kick-off v Brentford - Our chances of promotion have gone.

Undoing what he's done to the players and our pts total will all be thrown away during a fixture run in Sept that would have been perfect for a new guy (Jokanovic - Smith..... anybody) to come in and start getting us up and beyond 2ppg.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villan_007 said:

It was more than £9 initially, that's the reason West Ham pulled out of the deal as they thought Brentford were asking for too much.

The fact that he's constantly changing team and formation, after the amount of time he's been here. Gives me very little faith in him.
Either you use/buy players that's fitting to the system you want to play. Or you use a system that's fitting to the players you have at hand.
Bruce seems to be doing neither.

I would not mind seeing him walk out the door.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

My understanding was that it was £12m rising to £15m with add on's, there is no way we would have got him for £9m, it was widely reported that West Ham had £10m and £12.5m bids rejected. 

So I think it's safe to say the fee is in the region of £12-15m, thanks to Bruce it's probably closer to the £12m currently!!!

I don't though think the figure is being misrepresented as a means of criticism of Bruce. Besides there is enough to be critical of him for without creating reasons.

Transfermrkt or whatever is usually fairly accurate - that's saying £9.45m fee.

There are add ons and a 30% of next sale clause, which are widely reported.  I'd assume our offer, overall, was more attractive than West Ham's (let's say West Ham bid £12.5m, we've big £9.5m plus if he scores 20 goals another £1m plus if we get promoted another £2m plus you can have 30% of his next transfer fee.)

Either way, as you say, Hogan seems the wrong signing given how we set up.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I guess we should all just refrain from any commenting/opinions and be all good little boys and girls and watch the further failing at OUR club we support, not caring, not bothering.

Meanwhile the self righteous can wollow in their political correctness scared to upset the boat/anyone.

because

Everythings gonna be alright........x?

isnt it?

It's the Steve Bruce thread

I'm of the opinion that we are better off with out him

Its a forum

I'm not abusing anybody

• Like 3

True enough.

Personally I think it makes for a far more interesting and worthwhile forum if people Post either their own views on the Club or Post their counter- arguments.

Im not sure of the value or purpose of basically just expressing your disinterest in what someone else has to say ?

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

True enough.

Personally I think it makes for a far more interesting and worthwhile forum if people Post either their own views on the Club or Post their counter- arguments.

Im not sure of the value or purpose of basically just expressing your disinterest in what someone else has to say ?

There's no value or purpose. He's still allowed to post it though.

I'd argue there's no value or purpose in GH posting the same thing 20 times a day in every thread. But he's allowed to post that too so good luck to him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For awhile I thought the decision not to sack Bruce before the transfer window closed was an indication that he would be staying.

I'm now thinking it means nothing either way. I almost feel like Tony would like to see what a manager can do without needing to spend money so I remain hopeful.

If Bruce can turn it around, great, but I don't think that he will and the longer we leave it the less chance we have of getting out of this league.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

I guess we should all just refrain from any commenting/opinions and be all good little boys and girls and watch the further failing at OUR club we support, not caring, not bothering.

Meanwhile the self righteous can wollow in their political correctness scared to upset the boat/anyone.

because

Everythings gonna be alright........x?

isnt it?

It's the Steve Bruce thread

I'm of the opinion that we are better off with out him

Its a forum

I'm not abusing anybody

Do you know what mate, maybe things will be alright, maybe they won't, I don't have a crystal ball - do you?

As for 'just refraining', if I'd posted my response after the first 250 times you made the same point / said the same thing then yeah, fair enough but my boredom is with your incessant need to hijack every page with the same rhetoric - it is boring.

I don't even like Bruce particularly, wasn't too pleased when we hired him but my lord, I wouldn't half love him to come good now just to eradicate your constant moaning if nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well looks like he'll be here for Sept  now, barring something catastrophic happening.  We need 14/15 points in sept for me (and not overly bothered about the cup game, though with the size of our squad we should win that too).

My fear is we will limp along - get 10-12 points - potentially not disastrous enough for the board to sack him, but bad enough that automatic promotion becomes too big an ask.  In the same way as the recent win and draw were enough to keep him in a job.  

So while you're here Steve:  Please forget about 3 at the back.  Select players in their favoured positions.  And attack.  Thanks.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you know what mate, maybe things will be alright, maybe they won't, I don't have a crystal ball - do you?

As for 'just refraining', if I'd posted my response after the first 250 times you made the same point / said the same thing then yeah, fair enough but my boredom is with your incessant need to hijack every page with the same rhetoric - it is boring.

I don't even like Bruce particularly, wasn't too pleased when we hired him but my lord, I wouldn't half love him to come good now just to eradicate your constant moaning if nothing else.

Quite right. I can't remember another having quite the same affect. 

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well each to their own.

For me I'd rather read the same thing over and over - (and I've read plenty of other people repeating themselves whether 'pro/ anti/ or in between )as long as the author was expressing their own views on a Villa related matter rather than even 1 post where the sole content is complaining about someone expressing such a view or similar.

• Like 1

Â