Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Hail, the soothsayer, for he speaks with unerring accuracy. Any thoughts on the second coming fella, I might get down William Hill.

If it's the second coming of Steve Bruce you are referring to I'd keep your money in your pocket if I were you

It doesn't give me any pleasure that I was right - I would have prefered to be dead wrong and looking forward to PL football next season.

Everyone has their own opinion but my very firm opinion is that we won't go up next season

I won't bet against Villa but if you're a gambling man have a few quid on 10th place ;)

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

There are posters doubting we'll be able to sell anyone of our squad, so zero percent is the likely answer.

i think Xia would put all monies raised from sales back into the squad. 

It's not that difficult, we sold Gestede and Westwood in January for 11m combined.

That was Westwood with 4 years left on his contract and Gestede who has the worst premier league non winning run.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's not that difficult, we sold Gestede and Westwood in January for 11m combined.

That was Westwood with 4 years left on his contract and Gestede who has the worst premier league non winning run.

Totally agree. 

I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

some players may be more of a challenge to sell but hopefully we'll get the best deals we can for the club.

7 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Years ago didnt all teams play 4-4-2 with a big man and little man upfront, none of this 3-1-4-1-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 rubbish

Well i thought we played 4-3-3 when we won the league.

but more importantly we had players who complimented each other, we had balance, determination , combatitive spirit and 110 % work rate.

we had players who could win the ball, scheme, defend and score.

There was no household names on recruitment .....they made them with us.

but the most important they played for each other as a TEAM.

we are still playing like individuals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

There was no household names on recruitment .....they made them with us.

but the most important they played for each other as a TEAM.

we are still playing like individuals.

Totally agree, will Bruce change that, can he change that.

I'll watch the play off final, FA Cup and Champions league final, plus probably the crucial top four games deciders. Didn't watch tonight's game though. 

I actually feel re-energised since we got relegated. 

Edited by thunderball

I've enjoyed the Championship this year too. Don't want to stay here for too much longer, the future of our club is at stake. But being a happy, positive person i can take the best out of a situation and this year has seen me more interested in football. I think it's the fact we have actually won some games and scored goals. Visited new grounds and met new fans. I like how competitive the league is, so different to the premier league. 

• Like 2

I just wonder was Bruce aware of expenditure reductions if promotion wasn't achieved this season? His recent comments on being a busy transfer window this summer before the owner's revelations could be taken both ways in that he was indeed aware or it has come as a complete surprise?

He certainly will not be able to buy promotion next season so Bruce now finds himself in the same position as in his previous promotional clubs having to make do with restricted funding.

The difference is, that at Villa next season, the expectation is promotion and probably automatic which puts Bruce under tremendous pressure from the off.

16 hours ago, VillaCas said:

This was my view on the day of his appointment and I'm even firmer in that view now

In another post during the same period I predicted a very pessimistic 12th place finish and despite a huge spend he couldn't even deliver that

We should have broke the bank to get Wagner on board (critics claimed Wagner would fail whilst Bruce would go from strength to strength - yeah, right)

My prediction for next season is that we will flirt with the play-off places before fading and finishing around 10th - by then parachute payments will be a distant memory and Xia will feel he's spent enough

Our only chance is a slim one - we need a bold move from the board to get rid of Bruce and they need to identify a young, progressive manager to breathe fresh life into the club (few and far between)

Appointing Bruce (and RDM) was a grave mistake and we are likely to languish in the Championship for some years to come - sad days!

Broke the bank for a Wagner that was almost relegated in his first 6 months of steadying the Huddersfield ship. Then with a pre-season low and behold....challenging.

I'm not sure what makes you think he would have done any better coming in here?

Or is back to the Ruud Gullit drum banging of sexy football? It's not a good enough reason for me.

I have only watched Huddersfield a couple of times so its hard to judge Wagner, however I think they finished on a negative goal difference despite finishing in the play offs which suggests its a one off rather than the norm.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

1000000000000000000000000000 times better than our last 5 seasons in Premier League

I disagree - because at least when we beat some big teams in the Prem, it felt pretty good (even if we battled relegation).

This season, we've been largely dull, not really in any trouble and not dished out any great victories. As they say these days, "meh". 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, striker said:

I just wonder was Bruce aware of expenditure reductions if promotion wasn't achieved this season? His recent comments on being a busy transfer window this summer before the owner's revelations could be taken both ways in that he was indeed aware or it has come as a complete surprise?

He's been saying for weeks now he's only looking to get a couple of quality players in this window, and wants to get some of the wages off the books. I'm sure he's perfectly happy with the situation. Especially since this window would have been being planned for months at the club.

• Like 2

Â