Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Never said it was entertaining.

Yes, players make mistakes but when your goalkeeper drops a ball at the forward's feet and a player hacks a player down while on a yellow expect to be punished. Player's mistakes and not the manager.

Bruce is to blame for Johnstone too, as he is his signing and his decision to play him. That Grealish got sent off was also Bruce's fault, cause he should have been subbed of a long time before, he was not doing anything in the match and was on a yellow. I honestly forgot that he was playing at one moment. A decent manager would have taken him of. 2 player mistakes should not cost us 3 points against a team playing as badly as Nottingham were. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villianusa said:

From years of coaching and listening to professional and international players/managers while doing my UEFA A coaching licenses.

So basically it's absolutely pointless to change formation during a season because the players will take 2 to 3 months to adapt to it?

Yeah, ok...

Tony Xia allegedly has a shit load of money. If that is the case then surely the best strategy would be to throw it at attracting a very good manager rather than appointing journeymen like Bruce and spunking £millions on players that are not managed or coached correctly!

Bruce has only ever managed noddy clubs like SHA and Wigan and Hull. Do you think if he was any good the top teams wouldn't have been knocking his door down!

We will never be any good while we continue to engage second rate managers no matter how much we spend on players or who those players are.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 4

The really alarming thing is apart from the poor football and poorer tactics, he has won just 7 of 18 League games, one against a side placed 3rd, one against a side 10th, and the other 5 against 17,19,21,22,and 23.

That doesn't bode well but I suppose we are winning the relegation six pointers !?

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

The really alarming thing is apart from the poor football and poorer tactics, he has won just 7 of 18 League games, one against a side placed 3rd, one against a side 10th, and the other 5 against 17,19,21,22,and 23.

That doesn't bode well but I suppose we are winning the relegation six pointers !?

And some of those were by the skin of our teeth.

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

I totally agree, sacking multiple managers the way we are, is not the way to get success in most parts (Though many premier league teams will show you have effective it can be to change managers when there is a bigger plan behind the club) 

Our problem since the days of Lerner has been that the manager have had 100% say in how we play and who we buy, we need the higher ups to instill a style, so that we can hire managers that fit us so that we don't have to adapt to every manager. Though, this is a longer discussion, that I am unwilling to get into. 

The problem with Bruce, is that I honestly can't think of one positive thing to say about him, I can't see us going up with him in charge next season regardless of his record. He has done well for poor teams, he has never had a team that takes controls of matches. Buying all the talent in the league means that we HAVE to be the team that takes control of matches, the team that dictates tempo. Bruce has no game plan, he puts 11 players on and asks them all to defend just in front of our box, and then he buys players that want possession, that want through balls, that wan't to play football, why he is not allowing them to do what they are good at, makes no sense to me.

We need to bring in a manager that will fit a certain style, only buy players for that style and only hire managers that fit that style, like Southampton are doing. 

Mistakes will happen every game, the way Bruce set's us up makes them costly. The top 10 teams in the Championship would have at least scored 3 today, as Nottingham were very poor. 

I have to disagree with your point about that he has "done well for poor teams". When Hull came down and Birmingham they were expected to do well and at this level when dropping from the Premier League were certainly good teams. 

Southampton's bubble appears to have burst at the moment but that is probably down to constant selling.

One thing I agree on is having a certain style. I think it needs to be right the way through the club from u18s to the first team. A way that we play, a mentality we adhere too, a never say die attitude, an attitude of respect (kicking the ball away like Grealish did tonight costs us - surely we are better than this). This all takes time to sort out and changing managers all of the time won't get us nearer to this. 

Bruce is trying, he's trying new formations, new players etc. It's not clicking at the moment but Bruce deserves more time to turn this absolute mess of a club around. I think we can do it, but as fans I feel we have to have a reality check. Lot's of change will not result in instant success. We need unity in this club massively. Let's make it hostile for the opposition not our own team and staff. 

3 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Tony Xia allegedly has a shit load of money. If that is the case then surely the best strategy would be to throw it at attracting a very good manager rather than appointing journeymen like Bruce and spunking £millions on players that are not managed or coached correctly!

Bruce has only ever managed noddy clubs like SHA and Wigan and Hull. Do you think if he was any good the top teams wouldn't have been knocking his door down!

We will never be any good while we continue to engage second rate managers no matter how much we spend on players or who those players are.

What a ridiculous post. 

You could honestly predicted that Bruce wouldn't have worked out when he joined? The large majority of fans wanted him in.

To blame Xia for not spending money on a manager after the amount he has invested in this team is crazy.

• Like 3

When he started much was made, reasonably enough, that his tally of 15/21 points was promotion form.

It is equally reasonable to observe that he has 11/33 in the last 11 games, which is relegation form.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

So basically it's absolutely pointless to change formation during a season because the players will take 2 to 3 months to adapt to it?

Yeah, ok...

A good coach would work on a number of formation and inside that a number of patterns of play during the preseason, and polish them off early season. Players should be able to switch between them to best fit the opponents. Then you add in the tempo of the game and that brings another dynamic to the game.

Changing it completely in the middle of a season is difficult.

The new manager bounce people speak about, to me is a manager who can come in and use the same formation they are used to and motivate the players to perform. I believe that is the biggest difference between an average coach and a great coach. Motivation of players can be very underrated at times. That will be Bruce's biggest challenge right now, not can he pick the right tactics but can he motivate the players enough.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Am I the only one here who genuinely believes that in the long-term it doesn't matter who our manager is?

That isn't to say Bruce should be excused from his many failings but it's like this club wears down everything it touches.

it does seem that way. But we are going to go nowhere if we keep sacking managers after a few bad results.

21 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

I have to disagree with your point about that he has "done well for poor teams". When Hull came down and Birmingham they were expected to do well and at this level when dropping from the Premier League were certainly good teams. 

Southampton's bubble appears to have burst at the moment but that is probably down to constant selling.

One thing I agree on is having a certain style. I think it needs to be right the way through the club from u18s to the first team. A way that we play, a mentality we adhere too, a never say die attitude, an attitude of respect (kicking the ball away like Grealish did tonight costs us - surely we are better than this). This all takes time to sort out and changing managers all of the time won't get us nearer to this. 

Bruce is trying, he's trying new formations, new players etc. It's not clicking at the moment but Bruce deserves more time to turn this absolute mess of a club around. I think we can do it, but as fans I feel we have to have a reality check. Lot's of change will not result in instant success. We need unity in this club massively. Let's make it hostile for the opposition not our own team and staff. 

the ironic thing is that, at Hull he did not even do so well when he got them up last year, but in his defense, they still managed to get promoted. Though, I watched the play-off final, they were dire. They also had a rather disappointing season overall. 

I do not judge a manager based on history or what they have done at other clubs, I base my judgement on what I see them currently doing, and what I am seeing at the moment is a manager using technical players to play negative football, I see a manager with horrible tactics and awful substitutions and a manager that does not sign players that fit his negative hoof ball football. I see no reason to keep faith with him. I honestly see no positives under Bruce's tenure so far, expect for, a short run of decent but lucky results.

But saying all that, it is probably pointless to fire him now, because we have nothing to play for. Just hope Xia and co. are scouting for our next manager already. 

Also swapping players around and changing formation does not equal changing tactics, he has played awful negative football since he came her and all the other clubs he has been at. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The really alarming thing is apart from the poor football and poorer tactics

This is the real problem. He doesn't seem to have any plan or idea of how he wants us to play. The switch to 3-5-2 today sums that up. If he is signing players then surely he's signing them to suit a system but instead it seems as though he's just throwing players out on to the pitch completely at random. We are in no man's land this season but there are no signs that next season will be any different despite the vast amount of money spent on our squad. To be honest he looks like a manager who is out of his depth and given his experience in the game that's hugely worrying. Find a plan, stick to it and work on it on the training ground. Chopping and changing every week just makes everyone including the players think you don't know what you are doing.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Just now, briny_ear said:

I think Bruce has about 5 more games to turn this round or he will be sacked.

You read it here first.

He'll be here until the end of the season no matter what IMO because we aren't bad enough to get dragged into a relegation fight. And even if we were I don't think they'd sack him.

• Like 1

Â