Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Really has no excuses for me now. Bought well and now it's time for the dreadful football and poor results to end. Simple as. 

This is one shower of shit league and bar abother striker, we have easily the 2nd best squad. 

Sadly, we seem to have a few 'abother' strikers. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Most of the reasoning behind those decisions is public knowledge, so I agree. But explain the Gardner contract to us if you can?

Two ways I see this.

1 - He's a good enough back up for when our first choice gets injured.

2 - we're protecting the value of the asset. This would assume we really know what we're doing and have a clear long term plan.  We would then loan him out, collect loan fees, and make a profit on him when we sell him.

Alternatively, we don't know we're doing as a club... but the more I see, the more I think we've got a plan and aren't make headless decisions without a clear rationale.

• Like 1

Steve Bruce like all the past managers, their job is constantly on the line.

these players get paid  very handsomely, they need to be committed to the cause, far more than they are showing.

I understand that players go through form dips or confidence breaks, but I do not hear of too many spending 2- 4 in the afternoon working on their personal shortfalls.....thats what they need to do, to succeed.

Gymnasts and Athletes,cyclists.....do exactly that, with no where near the reward, but far better dedication.

its a vicious business that needs a single minded approach to gaining control of your opposite number......its dog eat dog, that's why they get paid so much.

I have seen so much over recent years that has left me dumbfounded, I'm hoping it is now all over.

Edited by TRO

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve Bruce like all the past managers, their job is constantly on the line.

these players get played very handsomely, they need to be committed to the cause, far more than they are showing.

I understand that players go through form dips or confidence breaks, but I do not hear of too many spending 2- 4 in the afternoon working on their personal shortfalls.....thats what they need to do, to succeed.

Gymnasts and Athletes,cyclists.....do exactly that, with no where near the reward, but far better dedication.

its a vicious business that needs a single minded approach to gaining control of your opposite number......its dog eat dog, that's why they get paid so much.

I have seen so much over recent years that has left me dumbfounded, I'm hoping it is now all over.

I agree Tro. The root of our problem is our players have been played too handsomely for too long. Time to get some real ugly players in, then we will see a difference

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree Tro. The root of our problem is our players have been played too handsomely for too long. Time to get some real ugly players in, then we will see a difference

Gabby is seriously ugly and we've had him for years! :)

• Like 1

On 27 January 2017 at 17:49, Woodytom said:

Really has no excuses for me now. Bought well and now it's time for the dreadful football and poor results to end. Simple as. 

This is one shower of shit league and bar abother striker, we have easily the 2nd best squad. 

Have to agree it's only competitive because there's not a lot of quality. We now have a squad that looks balanced enough to challenge. I think it might be a bit late for this season though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well.....I have always favoured balance and that does mean some players who can deal with the ugly stuff, but that does not mean ignore the talent.....you need both.

On 1/27/2017 at 17:49, Woodytom said:

I don't share the view it's a shite league......its not the Prem, but its certainly not shite.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2017 at 12:10, Hoof hearted said:

But has that 3rd placed teams form towards the back end of the season been an upwards curve so to speak? Not disputing the position a team finishes but the form leading upto the finals, would genuinely be interested in the numbers.

Get on it nerd!! 

Bears out what I said.  Position in the table has been promoted over form leader 8 to 3 since 1999.  Even just including 3rd place on its own versus ANY position having top form, it's 8 promotions for 3rd place versus 5 for top form irrespective of finishing position (and 2 of those 5 were 3rd place)..

EDIT : I should clarify that "form" is the last 5 games of the regular season, and the numbers below represent the points each team took from their final 5 games i.e. their form going into the playoffs.

EDIT 2 : Bolded teams were promoted.

2016     2015     2014          
Brighton 11 pts   Norwich 10   Derby 13        
Hull 10   Boro 10   QPR 10        
Derby 8   Brentford 8   Wigan 6        
Wed 6   Ipswich 10   Brighton 11   PROMOTED    
                  Position over top form 8 2011, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2002, 2001, 2000
2013     2012     2011     Top form over position 3 2004, 2003, 1999
                  Top form was top position 2 2015, 2012
Watford 6   Wet Spam 11   Swansea 10        
Brighton 13   sha 7   Cardiff 8   Third place promoted 8 2015, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2001, 2000
Palace 6   Blackpool 9   Reading 8   Top form promoted 5 2015, 2012, 2004, 2003, 1999
Leicester 8   Cardiff 11   Forest 12        

2010     2009     2008          
Forest 8   Sheff Utd 8   Hull 7        
Cardiff 8   Reading 8   Bristol City 4        
Leicester 15   Burnley 10   Palace 12        
Blackpool 10   PNE 12   Watford 2        

2007     2006     2005          
Derby 7   Watford 9   Ipswich 6        
WBA 9   PNE 13   Derby 9        
Wolves 10   Leeds 6   PNE 7        
Southampton 9   Palace 5   Wet Spam 8        

2004     2003     2002          
Sunderland 8   Sheff Utd 7   Wolves 7        
Wet Spam 10   Reading 9   Millwall 13        
Ipswich 8   Wolves 9   sha 9        
Palace 10   Forest 5   Norwich 13        

2001     2000     1999          
Bolton 10   Ipswich 12   Ipswich 6        
PNE 12   Barnsley 7   sha 9        
sha 9   sha 7   Watford 13        
WBA 5   Bolton 13   Bolton 8        

• Like 3

On 27/01/2017 at 17:49, Woodytom said:

i don't think it's as simple as that. With so many new faces, it might take time for them to gel. (I'm well aware that not all teams need to gel as much as much as others, but it's a possibility). Next season is the aim for me anyway, we're too far behind the pack as it stands.

I'd be looking for definite improvement though, especially in midfield and the amount of goals we score.

Edited by abdomlahor

On 1/27/2017 at 17:49, Woodytom said:

No time to let them settle in? 

• Like 2

I want to see us playing decent football now we have some players comfortable on the ball

The kick and rush stuff over the centre mids isn't needed anymore, we actually have people comfortable on the ball in that position now

It's time to play through the opposition rather than over them

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have visions of a cluttered dark office at Bodymoor, pizza boxes on the floor, with Brucey on about 3 phones at a time at the moment.

Don't be ridiculous. Pizza? He's a kebab man!

• Like 1

Makes a nice change for a Villa manager to make a handful of signings, previous incumbents always used to trot out the "it's difficult to get anyone in the January window" line.

Nice work Brucey

• Like 2

Â