Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Not sure I've seen him say that, I have heard him say he wanted to see us get the ball to the forwards quicker which was right. I guess it depends how he wants to do that.

In the absence of midfielders blessed with the ability to do this other ways will be used, I'll reserve judgement on it until after January as I hope we will buy at least one CM.

For me results are pretty much all that matter at the moment. 

You may be right, think it was something along the lines of "relying less on the long ball" perhaps?

Decent enough result (I suppose) but very poor performance. Lots of work to do, Bruce has made us more ruthless (when we do get chances) and mentally stronger but the football is awful, in large part down to IMO our very poor fitness. Blues really were significantly more aggressive and invariably first to all the loose and 'second' balls. They successfully stopped us from playing meaning that our football was by and large 'kick and rush'.

We simply need to be a lot sharper in possession, a midfield trio of Westwood, Jedinak and Gardner means we have no creativity or ball players in the centre of the park, that needs to be addressed in Jan. We also need to shift the ball wider quicker and get more crosses in. 

We would have lost that 3-1 under the last manager, so credit to Steve Bruce there.

But he made some strange decisions. Starting Westwood? Not making a change after 60 minutes when we were clearly losing the run of the game? At that stage he should have made a change along the lines of taking off Ayew and putting on Tish. Gestede should have replaced Kodija earlier, he was clearly knackered. And I thought it was risky to finish the game with four forwards when SHA had the better chance of scoring.

Not to mention the long balls.

That aside, 2 wins 2 draws, well done Steve.

• Like 1

The problem was the attacking players barring ayew who was ok had poor games. McCormack was not good and kodjia was shite. We are getting there, I'm confident by end if month we will see more consistent attacking performances.

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Thought we were awful today. Very disappointed. We had the better team, could have done a lot more with the ball. Gave it away far too easily. 

Exactly we have the better team on paper. Should roll them over, very negative of Bruce.

We are Aston Villa, and if people on here are happy with a point to a little pub side like Birmingham you're supporting the wrong team.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly we have the better team on paper. Should roll them over, very negative of Bruce.

We are Aston Villa, and if people on here are happy with a point to a little pub side like Birmingham you're supporting the wrong team.

I don't think on paper our team is all that's cracked up to be to be honest.

No wonder this club got a losing mentality when fans are happy with a draw against Birmingham. I understand people are still rolling on the Bruce positive train, but let's be honest here. This game was a shocking, shocking performance. It was a very very lucky point and we got outplayed. We had near to none chances and played really negative football throughout the whole game.

If people seriously are satisfied with performances like these we truely are doomed. No ambition, no quality, no winning mentality. Sorry if i sound negative but i'm just writing how i feel.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We have better defenders and we have better forwards, but in the area that links those 2 lines we are atrocious. 

If you swapped our midfield for that of the little pub side today we win the game comfortably. Thats why people are relatively happy, and thats why Bruce has to employ these tactics until that area can be addressed. 

Any strength in our squad is due to us having a few good ball players. We don't have the personnel to make a team of scrappers. The only way we will get out of this division is by playing football.  I'll reserve judgment on whether Bruce is able to get us doing that, but my hopes are not high from what I've seen so far.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If people seriously are satisfied with performances like these we truely are doomed. No ambition, no quality, no winning mentality. Sorry if i sound negative but i'm just writing how i feel.

How exactly would you set the team up with Gardner and Westwood in Midfield? 

All out attack maybe? because our last manager tried that and guess how that turned out.

So far Bruce has the team doing the very bare minimum that can be expected from them.

Now this a huge improvement from what Di Matteo managed, but the work still to be done is gargantuan.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No wonder this club got a losing mentality when fans are happy with a draw against Birmingham. I understand people are still rolling on the Bruce positive train, but let's be honest here. This game was a shocking, shocking performance. It was a very very lucky point and we got outplayed. We had near to none chances and played really negative football throughout the whole game.

I can see where you are coming from. 

He's added much needed steel and organisation into us, but there's a lot of work to be done on the actual footballing side of things. We haven't played well from that perspective under him yet. 

Blues were there fr the taking today and I agree, the game was awful. 

On 29/10/2016 at 11:50, AndyBM said:

im amazed at how many villa fans now like bruce just because hes here, considering there probably wasnt even 1 villa supporter not so along ago that liked him at all, you could say he was one of the most hated, up there with hitler and robbie savage.

ok, so hes got the club into winning ways, but can it continue? i doubt it, can he get us a win against small heath alliance? i doubt that also, considering hes got so many fond memories there and is considered a fans favourite.

Hate is a strong word. Most of the time when abuse is dished out to an individual it's just part and parcel of the banter of the game, and in particular when they are a player or manager of SHA. 

Robbie Savage is an exception, he was and still is a grade A word removed.

I'm only in my 40s so never got to see Hitler play, although I hear he was a no nonsense right winger.

• Like 4

Just to add. After January when Bruce hopefully brings in a couple of midfielders i then think its fair to expect a different, more ambitious style of play. 

Until then its simply all about results for me. Winning games with some of the clowns we've got in midfield is an achievement in itself, so I'm not going to moan about the style at this point   

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This game was a shocking, shocking performance. It was a very very lucky point and we got outplayed. We had near to none chances and played really negative football throughout the whole game.

If people seriously are satisfied with performances like these we truely are doomed. 

They had three shots on target, of which they scored one. They also had a slight edge in possession. I think you're being quite dramatic, and the game was not really as one-sided as you make it sound. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They had three shots on target, of which they scored one. They also had a slight edge in possession. I think you're being quite dramatic, and the game was not really as one-sided as you make it sound. 

Fair play for playing down the drama, but I also saw it as a very one-sided affair. The 3 shots on target stat can't hide how they dominated the second half and how much more likely they looked to score.

Â