Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Seriously what is it with people honing in on players he has bought In the past? 

1) He won't have had the budget with any of his previous clubs to really buy top draw players,  he will always have been scrapping like we have for the last few years. This is not our future strategy. 

2) I know he has signed a couple of players for half decent money,  but really only a couple. However again with the clubs he's been at he would not have been able to throw money at proven players as they simply wouldn't have gone there regardless so he's probably got in those players that the big boys were interested in pushing up the prices but ultimately didn't fancy so let them go rather than crushing Hull or Sunderland or The Scum with a mega deal. Such players are always a bit of a gamble. Sometimes the big clubs have got it wrong but more often than not they are right not to throw the kitchen sink at it. 

3) but really mainly is it's common knowledge that the manager does not really buy the players anymore. He will give the transfer committee a list of the type of players he needs and they go out and find them. Sure the manager may get the ultimate say but if all he is presented with it a pile of crap he will choose the one he sees as less crap. But ultimately it's still a crap player. 

You need to look more at the transfer committees at Sunderland and Hull for the real blame. We need to be far more worried a out what Round etc can or cannot get that what Bruce might try for.

• Like 3

Really pleased with this. It might be boring for some, but hopefully he will bring a stability we've needed for a long time. 

Im intrigued to see how he'll set us up,  and whether he'll shoehorn all the strikers in. I'm guessing not!

As others have said, he's the first proper manager in a long time. Now let's get on a roll. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 07:21, Woodytom said:

Too big of a job for someone who has never really felt pressure imo. Lots of decent work with lesser clubs, but this is not for him imo.

I am sure whilst playing in the heart of defence for that little club up in Manchester was a bit of a breeze with very little pressure,  especially from that easygoing manager they had at the time. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Decent interview.

Didnt realise that we were the only team with that nickname for him. 

Just has to be 'Potato heads claret and blue army!'

Surely!!!!!

Indeed potato heads claret and blue army!

26 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Decent interview.

Didnt realise that we were the only team with that nickname for him. 

Just has to be 'Potato heads claret and blue army!'

Surely!!!!!

he said few years ago that West Brom fans started it about him

On 12/10/2016 at 08:41, hippo said:

My only gripe(s) was the way his players kicked grealish on his debut - and he claims he we should have had a penalty in every post match interview.

Maybe our players can now start kicking someone else's young debutant welcoming them to the man's game of professional football and we can stop being such a nice bunch of Lilly livered push overs. 

• Like 4

Really liked how he interviewed. Seemed genuinely excited to get started and be at Villa. Cheeky little jibe at the sh*te half of the city. Loved it. 

Unfortunately, a few managers have come across as great during pressers. I'll let his decisions on match day do the talking. 

I'm allowing myself to get a bit excited though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

To be fair that was a decent interview where he seems genuinely honoured to be here. I am not warming to him , as I'm a cold hearted bastard , but fair play for that I'm thawing a little

You only want the same as all of us Richard.....you just might be entering the house through the back door:)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Got a view on this which makes me sound like a boring git, but I think that would not sit well with him, even if he puts a brave front on. Some want to do it because 'they' think it's funny banter, but deep down I suspect Bruce will hate it and see it as a bit insulting. Just my view/gut feeling.

Pretty sure none of us would want it levelled at us.

I would think its more likely the noses will be the ones to chant it now.

i would also think it would be quite bizarre for our fans to now chant it, surely its derogatory, even if its classified under banter.

couldn't imagine our fans chanting that towards one of our managers, unless they want him to continue losing....what on earth would to players think.

Edited by TRO

Having read many many pages on here about the style of football Mr Bruce will bring to our club I feel it is time to state my views. 

I cannot imagine any circumstances,  any circumstances at all,  even 80's style Wimbledon long ball where I would consider it boring or unattractive to be winning games nearly every week and moving up the table. 

The only way it will be possible for Bruce to bore me and leave me uninspired is it the team continue playing broadly like they have for the last 5 years. 

To achieve that he would have to fail in an utterly spectacular fashion 100 times worse than any of the many clubs he has managed before. 

Therefore it is highly,  highly unlikely I am going to be anything other than something ranging from satisfied to extactic and probably inspired over the next few months. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I think we all have to take a step back now and let him manage the players. I hope for one we see a shake up. 

If he starts Alan Hutton for example or even gabby, I'm prepared to see what results it brings. This guys experience is not questionable.

• Like 2

Â