Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, Keyblade said:

A slap in the face to all the PL squads he's had over the years :lol: 

Haha so true but if he makes them think they are better than they actually are they might actually start winning some games!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Haha so true but if he makes them think they are better than they actually are they might actually start winning some games!

Yeah, standard protocol for a new manager I think.  For all we say about our players faults, we really do have some excellent players, but they have lost their way and the confidence has been gradually sapped out of them.  Imagine Bruce will be in their ears every day now telling them what fantastic players they are. Think that, in itself, will make a big difference and hopefully we see more performances like earlier in the season where we we're often dominating teams and playing well for large periods. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

7 minutes ago, Dirtysanchez said:

Bit strange why the length of the contract isn't being disclosed no? 

It has, its a rolling contract like MON. Suits all parties, if doesnt do well he will probably be dismissed in summer. i guess thats logic behind it, either that if burnley go down they want to go dyche

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It has, its a rolling contract like MON. Suits all parties, if doesnt do well he will probably be dismissed in summer. i guess thats logic behind it, either that if burnley go down they want to go dyche

More likley he's left it open for the England Job. Dr Tony having just paid off RDM hasn't put up to much resistance - all IMO of course...

Just now, hippo said:

More likley he's left it open for the England Job. Dr Tony having just paid off RDM hasn't put up to much resistance - all IMO of course...

If he was offered the England job then England would just buy him out of any contract he had. I would be fairly sure its a rolling contract on the clubs insistence because of the vast amount of money Dr X wasted paying off three coaches and RDM.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Fair play to Bruce.  Walked out at Hull, sticking to his principles - so no pay-off.  Now accepts a rolling contract with us.  Not disputing that he's made more than enough money in the past, but you can see that he wants to be in a job and do well, not just hang around for a pay-off.

AVFC have made so many people millionaires over the last few years.  Sherwood, Ray Wilkins, Garde - plus players like Beye, Ireland and NZogbia.

Edited by philgetaway

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If he was offered the England job then England would just buy him out of any contract he had. I would be fairly sure its a rolling contract on the clubs insistence because of the vast amount of money Dr X wasted paying off three coaches and RDM.

Don't know - Bruce has always been pretty ambitious. But contract or no contract - he would always go if England want him, (As you say) 

It leaves him vulnerable to being poached. But as he said yesterday he's made his home in the midlands - and there aren't many bigger clubs than AVFC that Bruce could feasibly go to....

Hmmmm. 

On the crucial issue of whether to chant potato head at him ? I've seen some Posts by people who's views I respect saying it would be pretty yuk.

I was surprised, and had a rethink, as I actually thought it was OK,a nd would be quite amusing ( in the football sense of the word, not the " blimey that was funny" world of comedy).

And having had a rethink I still think it quite funny,in a sort of ironic way it would also be taking the piss out of ourselves and the daft fickle world offootball.

Maybe I'm in a minority ? 

PS....my default setting is as PC as they come, so I'm puzzled at my lack of standards and respect if my thoughts are really so out of line on this !

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Hmmmm. 

On the crucial issue of whether to chant potato head at him ? I've seen some Posts by people who's views I respect saying it would be pretty yuk.

I was surprised, and had a rethink, as I actually thought it was OK,a nd would be quite amusing ( in the football sense of the word, not the " blimey that was funny" world of comedy).

And having had a rethink I still think it quite funny,in a sort of ironic way it would also be taking the piss out of ourselves and the daft fickle world offootball.

Maybe I'm in a minority ? 

PS....my default setting is as PC as they come, so I'm puzzled at my lack of standards and respect if my thoughts are really so out of line on this !

I think its fair. Hes publicly said he doesn't mind. its banter IMO. 

Its being professional as in other jobs....I have train people - some of them do my head in ! - but I know without them I have no job. 

1 hour ago, Dirtysanchez said:

he won't play 4 strikers and a one man midfield so he's already better than RDM

To be fair you could say that about everyone on this board and I include in that the opposition fans who just visit,  well apart from that Norwich one ;-)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think its fair. Hes publicly said he doesn't mind. its banter IMO. 

Completely respect people have different views on this, but I don't think he has said he doesn't mind. He was talking about when he was the opposition and the stick we gave him. He took that well and laughed it off.  In that Radio 5 interview he also talked about wearing a hood at times and how the fans at Liverpool layed into him - he clearly did mind. Think it's fair game when managing/playing for the opposition, but calling our own manager 'potato head' is different gravy. I think he will mind, privately, which is why it doesn't sit well with me.  I just don't think he'll be thinking "those villa fans eh, what a great sense of humour, calling me potato head, they're really taking the piss out of themselves for being daft and fickle you know". To me the battle lines and been redrawn and it should be consigned to history.  Not going to say anymore about it because people will make-up their own minds and the crowd will decide on Sat/Tues.  I'll be sitting that one out though.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

If he really can get this lot believing in themselves, stand back and watch the fireworks. By his own admission, this is potentially the best squad he's had at his disposal and a chairman who is no skinflint. Its not a 'Bruce' thing, any manager who could convince our players they were invincible would have one hell of a side.

Its just whether he can do it and be 'allowed' to do it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Fair play to Bruce.  Walked out at Hull, sticking to his principles - so no pay-off.  Now accepts a rolling contract with us.  Not disputing that he's made more than enough money in the past, but you can see that he wants to be in a job and do well, not just hang around for a pay-off.

AVFC have made so many people millionaires over the last few years.  Sherwood, Ray Wilkins, Garde - plus players like Beye, Ireland and NZogbia.

completely agree mate. Bruce deserves credit for accepting that contract not many managers would. i think he wants to show what a good a manager he is by hoping transforming this club. If he somehow manages to get us promoted this season he will go down as one of our best managers 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If he makes them think they are better than they actually are.

Whilst I understand your overall point, and agree to some extent.... This isn't always a good thing imo.

Fwiw, I don't think it'll be a bad thing in this scenario.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

completely agree mate. Bruce deserves credit for accepting that contract not many managers would. i think he wants to show what a good a manager he is by hoping transforming this club. If he somehow manages to get us promoted this season he will go down as one of our best managers 

For sure. It's the biggest job he's had. It's his best chance to show what he can do with some real resources. I'd imagine he's really motivated by the opportunity, and I think it's an appointment that really suits both parties right now.

• Like 1

Â