Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Hodgson couldn't do anything with a bunch of the countries finest. 

What he gonna do with a bunch of cockwombles?

Hes playing against teams full of bigger cockwobbles, along with a bugdet to bring in more cockwobbles should he want.

Seriously hes got a far better league record than most other serious contenders, and hes quite obviously experienced.

You dont get to manage Liverpool (I feel dirty saying that) and your country if you are a bad manager....no matter the outcome.

• Like 1

On the list of skills our next manager must possess, having spent a lot of time managing in the Championship is right at the bottom.

The only thing that makes the Championship stand out from other leagues is possibly that there are more games than is usual, forcing you to manage and rotate the squad a bit more.

Other than that it's not harder, faster, scooter, more technical or tactical than any other league from where we could possibly bring in a manager from.

Championship experience is a non issue, just as PL- experience was a non issue.

This league is shocking, any manager with a clear idea of how his team should play, and with the basics knowledge how to communicate this to his team should be more than OK in this league with our squad. (once we get a midfield).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I think there is an element of shock here.... shock that we can't attain the Huddersfield manager. Let's turn it around... If we were Huddersfield fans there is no way you guys would be saying similar, no way.

I genuinely don't believe this is salvageable. Not, this season anyway. I don't for one minute think RDM was anything more than useless. But he isn't the sole reason we won 1 in 11 games. 

The club is completely broken imo especially in terms of mentality. I think we perhaps underestimate the effect things like redundancies can have on the place. No, it's probably not directly affecting performances on the pitch, but there is certainly something wrong.

I'm trying to do something that I believe we've been avoiding for a few years now. That's acknowledging what is staring us right in the face. The past few managers have performed poorly - but they are definitely not 4 wins in a year managers. They proved that at other clubs.

Back to Huddersfield. Their manager may have looked at it and thought, actually, I'm going to need at least a year to sort that mess out. That's before we can even realistically think about promotion. By which time Huddersfield could have been promoted and moved clearer and clearer away, using the premiership money wisely. Meanwhile were stuck in the championship, with another 3 teams from the prem who will make it more difficult. In addition we will have probably sacked another manager as he didn't get promoted........people are already suggesting we sack him if we do get promoted.

Fwiw, I think Bruce has the potential to steady the ship and move us forward. I think we will probably finish around 9th/10th. But let's not kid ourselves that this team is anywhere near ready to do what it needs to do. Which is win football matches on a regular basis.

This post for some reason has really annoyed me. So, so defeatist and exactly what is wrong with the Villa.

Villa are imo two decent midfielders away from being a very good team that, under the right manager (one who actually knows what he is doing and plays to the strengths of the squad rather than trying to fix square pegs into round holes) can still gain promotion this season.

If the new manager is indeed Bruce then he will not play a two in midfield and will certainly not over laden the team with forwards. That in itself will improve the balance of the Villa team plus make the Villa much harder to beat while still carrying a goal threat. Bruce will also be backed in January to improve the midfield.

Apart from Newcastle (who Villa have already drawn against) and maybe Norwich there is no other team in the Championship that should be a worry. Top six gets you a playoff spot in a very poor league.

Currently Villa are sitting in a false position due to more than a bit of bad luck (how many times have Villa hit the woodwork this season and conceded late in games) plus this season being under the stewardship of yet another inept manager, even worse than Lambert, Sherwood and Garde.

Sorry for the rant but with so many games to play yet with a better manager to come in who will be backed in January to improve an already decent squad I see no reason at all why Villa can't have a very strong second half of the season and at the very least gain a playoff spot. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Hes playing against teams full of bigger cockwobbles, along with a bugdet to bring in more cockwobbles should he want.

Seriously hes got a far better league record than most other serious contenders, and hes quite obviously experienced.

You dont get to manage Liverpool (I feel dirty saying that) and your country if you are a bad manager....no matter the outcome.

To be fair Nigel, Liverpool fans hated him.. He was the same manager that signed a crocked Joe Cole on a 100k a week wage for a big 4 year contract!

Anyone capable of making such a **** up should not be anywhere near Villa Park..  Did we not learn from MO'N days when signing clearings in the woods like Habib Beye on 80k a week!!

Hodgson is a fossil and should now retire altogether.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Aye it's not impossible, but it's a damn sight more of a gamble than Bruce though, isn't it?

If we do manage to get promoted within the next 2 years then all Bruce has to do is survive in the Premier League. At that point you bring in a better manager and I'm sure Xia will throw more cash at it. 

Trying to find a manager who can see out the whole of Xia's ambitions from the position we're in now is just a bit pie in the sky I think. You might get lucky, but there's far more chance of that approach going tits up imo. 

With the way we've been in decline over the past few years we need building blocks. We need a manager to come in and lay some foundations down. Make us a bit more solid at the back and then go forward. 

I agree partly with what you say but its not as easy as saying just keep us up then we will replace him. 

He will only be replaced if he gets us into a losing spiral.  Then we will have to bring someone in to retrieve the situation, not build slowly. It will be like groundhog day from the last few seasons.

Why start off this way again?

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I agree partly with what you say but its not as easy as saying just keep us up then we will replace him. 

He will only be replaced if he gets us into a losing spiral.  Then we will have to bring someone in to retrieve the situation, not build slowly. It will be like groundhog day from the last few seasons.

Why start off this way again?

Why will he only be replaced if we're on a losing spiral?

Didn't happen with Adkins, didn't happen with Pearson, didn't happen with Fat Sam at West Ham.

For what is is worth,

I think an appointment will be made by the weekend.. But the new manager will be 'In the stands' ready to take charge on Monday!

I will be very suprised to see anyone other than Clarke being caretaker manager for the Wolves game.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

On the list of skills our next manager must possess, having spent a lot of time managing in the Championship is right at the bottom.

The only thing that makes the Championship stand out from other leagues is possibly that there are more games than is usual, forcing you to manage and rotate the squad a bit more.

Other than that it's not harder, faster, scooter, more technical or tactical than any other league from where we could possibly bring in a manager from.

Championship experience is a non issue, just as PL- experience was a non issue.

This league is shocking, any manager with a clear idea of how his team should play, and with the basics knowledge how to communicate this to his team should be more than OK in this league with our squad. (once we get a midfield).

Exactly, there are plenty of examples of managers recently who have come in from home and abroad and hit the ground running, not least with Wagner.  The Championship is not exactly rocket surgery and we shouldn't restrict ourselves to people who know the league (what does that even mean?).  It just needs somebody who can arrange a balanced XI and motivate them properly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly, there are plenty of examples of managers recently who have come in from home and abroad and hit the ground running, not least with Wagner.  The Championship is not exactly rocket surgery and we shouldn't restrict ourselves to people who know the league (what does that even mean?).  It just needs somebody who can arrange a balanced XI and motivate them properly.

But why risk going for a manager who's never got a team promoted from the Championship, when there's one available who has multiple times? 

For too long we've been appointing "up and coming" managers so to speak, and we've been in steady decline. I'm not one who likes to bang on about experience, but I think we need a bit of that right now. 

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair Nigel, Liverpool fans hated him.. He was the same manager that signed a crocked Joe Cole on a 100k a week wage for a big 4 year contract!

Anyone capable of making such a **** up should not be anywhere near Villa Park..  Did we not learn from MO'N days when signing clearings in the woods like Habib Beye on 80k a week!!

Hodgson is a fossil and should now retire altogether.

Are you being serious....Joe Cole???

That was considered a coup when he arrived if memory serves. Thats not really the point though, even if he single handly broke the liverpool side Hodgson cant be blamed for it, it was a gamble as any signing is.

Its laughable that a manager should be judged on one off signings, there wont be many left on the shortlist.

I've always been quietly impressed by Bruce. He tends to do well for a couple of seasons at most clubs, and has 4 promotions to his name.

I'm not sure about him in the transfer market but i think he can set up a team and that'll be an improvement.

Welcome Bruce and looking forward to Saturday.

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Why will he only be replaced if we're on a losing spiral?

Didn't happen with Adkins, didn't happen with Pearson, didn't happen with Fat Sam at West Ham.

OK thats 3....but the vast majority wont fire a manager if hes doing ok!

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Are you being serious....Joe Cole???

That was considered a coup when he arrived if memory serves. Thats not really the point though, even if he single handly broke the liverpool side Hodgson cant be blamed for it, it was a gamble as any signing is.

Its laughable that a manager should be judged on one off signings, there wont be many left on the shortlist.

Joe Cole was just one of the names used as example, He let a lot of people go too. The over all consensus is the Liverpool fans where happy to see the back of him (Woy).

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

OK thats 3....but the vast majority wont fire a manager if hes doing ok!

Could possibly argue Watford too but I really can't remember what happened with their managers after they got promoted. I know they like to chop and change though.

Why is out of the realms of possibility that we are looking at that model and not going to copy it? I know full well if I owned a football club that's the exact approach I'd take. It certainly hasn't done West Ham, Leicester or Southampton any harm.

Edited by PieFacE

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Joe Cole was just one of the names used as example, He let a lot of people go too. The over all consensus is the Liverpool fans where happy to see the back of him (Woy).

They were gutted when he arrived.  Typical scousers wanted Mouriniho

I'm amazed people are actively against bringing in Steve Bruce.  I can understand people feeling uninspired by the potential appointment, or feeling that someone else may be a better fit/choice, but against Bruce?

Been there and done it for years at the exact level that Villa are at right now with relative success at the same time.  Promoted from the league we're in just last season with another recently relegated club.  The wrong choice?  Why?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I'm amazed people are actively against bringing in Steve Bruce.  I can understand people feeling uninspired by the potential appointment, or feeling that someone else may be a better fit/choice, but against Bruce?

Been there and done it for years at the exact level that Villa are at right now with relative success at the same time.  Promoted from the league we're in just last season with another recently relegated club.  The wrong choice?  Why?

Because its an opportunity to set a blueprint to how we could set up/play for the future.