PieFacE

Wenger's been brilliant for Arsenal. As Rev and Genie have said, he's basically transformed what that club is. I'm sure they'd like to win more stuff (who wouldn't). I think a fair bit of the frustration the fans have is because of the prices they pay, and the resultant kind of demand that brings for winning and winning the League and European Cups.  He'll be a hard act to follow. But it's also true that year after year they seem to falter at the same point in the European competition, and that Wenger seems unable to change that. He's very very good, but not brilliant. Then again, most top managers have a spell of maybe 6 or 7 years where they do their best stuff, then they never quite seem to recapture that magic. Wenger's probably past his best, and his stubborn adherence to his principles has hampered them in English football where just throwing tons of money has become a bigger factor in going from top 4 to winners (or top 6 to top 4 for that matter).

• Like 2

Frank Mclintock was on Talksport the other day saying he has it on good authority that Wengers issue is valuing a player and not paying more for him despite the fact he could be the cherry on the icing on the cake!!  Suarez for instance and that stupid bid.  If you were a fan it would be really frustrating he seems to treat it like his own money.  

I actually think his record is amazing but  like O'Neill here with 3 top 6 finishes and how many people thought we should be doing better.  Charlton and Curbs.  You get the gist at the end of the day changing does not necessarily mean success.

Hound him out you bunch of Tarquins and lets see how you do hiring and firing managers every 2/3 years!

• Like 1

If someone arrived from Mars and was one of the only people to have to actually ask about what kind of club Arsenal are (you know being world famous club due to their consistantly high standards), so yeah imagine they've never heard of them, one might tell them that since 2002 they've won the league twice, won the FA cup 5 times & 4 community shield winners medals too. They've also qualified for Europes top tier competition EVERY SINGLE YEAR through their league position (getting to the final once). 

How embarrassing, you've got me there :lol:

So your happy with finishing 4th every season?

How many years ago did you win the league?

I never hear any United fans mentioning community shield wins lmao

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Really?  My gut feeling was quite the opposite, Spurs tend to come into the North London Derby being talked up by everybody and somehow conspire to not win the game.   I've checked the results and it kinda confirms it too.  Last ten meetings has just two wins for Spurs, two draws and six wins for Arsenal, including two 5-2 hammerings.   Arsenal have won two of the last three meetings at White Hart Lane. 

I don't count cup games as teams don't play their full 11s in it and you don't get 3 points. Plus it means little if you don't win the trophy.

Spurs didn't beat Arsenal in the league from October 1999 until April 2010.

Arsenal have stopped winning at WHL certainly:

08/09- 0-0

09/10- 2-1 defeat

10/11- 3-3

11/12- 2-1 defeat

12/13- 2-1 defeat

13/14- 1-0 win (team managed by Timothy Sherwood)

14/15- 2-1 defeat

Spurs have also drawn the last two at the Emirates 1-1 and were leading both with 10 minutes left.

So yeah for a team that went over 10 years without beating them I'd say they'd turned that record around nicely. 

3 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

That was nearly 16 years ago! He built an amazing side, in fact the best team I have ever seen at villa park, Arsenal with Henry, Pires, Viera, Ljunberg etc, the fact is since that invincibles side broke up he's failed.

That was a brilliant side. I also thought the 98 teams was very good, Overmars, Bergkamp etc.

I think the difference know was those players were winners mentality and would kick you if they had to (which was reflected in their red card count) They still have fantastic individual quality in Ozil and Alexis but collectively they're just a bit weak especially when games go against them. Be interesting what their comeback stats are like this season, can't think of too many games they've fallen behind in and turned round and won this season.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That was a brilliant side. I also thought the 98 teams was very good, Overmars, Bergkamp etc.

I think the difference know was those players were winners mentality and would kick you if they had to (which was reflected in their red card count) They still have fantastic individual quality in Ozil and Alexis but collectively they're just a bit weak especially when games go against them.

2 players they never replaced from that side, Campbell & Viera

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Arsenal are one of the best teams in Bristish football and have been for 15-20 years. If that is failure then I'm stumped tbh.

they have won 2 trophys in 11 years

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

The stadium is down to Wenger too.  He put Arsenal in a position where they could afford to do that and it's currently generating the highest matchday gate receipts in European (and presumably global) football.  If they were still at Highbury with it's 38'000 seats and handful of corporate boxes then they wouldn't be anywhere near that goal.  Yeah, it might have hamstrung them a bit in the past decade but it's secured the club for the foreseeable future.  Arsenal  won't be knackered if the TV money ever dries up and they have Arsene Wenger to thank for that.  

true But crucially since leaving Highbury they have not been near as successful. Its 10 years now and 2 Fa Cups really doesnt cut it compared to all the failed league campaigns

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

So yeah for a team that went over 10 years without beating them I'd say they'd turned that record around nicely. 

They aren't quite as inept as they once were in the derby, but I rest my case again.  Spurs come into the game being talked up by everybody, play against ten men for almost the entire second half and fail to win.  It happens with alarming regularity. 

14 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

They aren't quite as inept as they once were in the derby, but I rest my case again.  Spurs come into the game being talked up by everybody, play against ten men for almost the entire second half and fail to win.  It happens with alarming regularity. 

Fair enough....still only 1 win in last 8 league visits to WHL for Arsenal though. ;)

• Like 1

The bloke who had that banner at Hull last night Arsenal fan explains 'Wenger Out' banner:

"It's the culmination of years and years and years of lies"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-fan-explains-wenger-out-7521275

Wenger said his bored of criticism well only 2 trophies since 04 and not spending a lot no title since 04 what's he expect

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Take Giroud off and they are much more dangerous.  I'll never get why Wenger didn't buy a quality striker in the summer.

so who should they sign? or is this another lolnarratives opinion that you guys have? So easy to say "sign quality striker" but who? nobody who is a better upgrade than giroud is moving last summer. fk knows how many times i have to say this but it keeps get repeated with no reply.

If you anybody replies with benteke...then i will LOL

speciality in fallure but won cups past few years (before then it was wenger will never win anything, weak/naive etc etc)...hmmm...bottles..even though won cups? explain somebody?? This season should be sacked because no cup+2nd place. which is min they could do as target...and they have to win like 7 games D 1 L 1 to win title..which isnt happening 

Edited by gharperr

Â