Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

On 06/04/2017 at 23:30, sne said:

One of the biggest things to address for next season is to become less dependent on him while at the same time keeping him scoring at the level he is now.

18 out of 42 goals with 8 directly game winning goals in 15 wins is scary.

8 wins

thats 16pts

without looking at the others add the point "gained" from Burton so take 17pts off our total and we would be 1pt off relegation with Blackburn away as an absolute 6pointer

So if Kodjias other goals gained us more than 1 point we would be in the relegation zone.

Wonder what Bruce would have done without him?

McC and/or Gaby up front then Hogan from January on

Oh I forgot, he's been injured too

59 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

8 wins

thats 16pts

without looking at the others add the point "gained" from Burton so take 17pts off our total and we would be 1pt off relegation with Blackburn away as an absolute 6pointer

So if Kodjias other goals gained us more than 1 point we would be in the relegation zone.

ITT we learn that, if we played with 10 men and no striker, we'd struggle to score :detect: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

8 wins

thats 16pts

Obviously we would have another striker up front who you would hope would have been scoring goals...

15 million would have been spent on a different player who would then have played the same amount of minutes as Kodjia

• Like 1

8 wins

thats 16pts

There are many ways of playing with this one GH

I guess Leicester could say we relied on Kante too much and look what happened.

We relied on Benteke too much and look what happened.

I guess we relied on Andy Gray and Peter Withe too much too, in a way......and without them the story would be different.

Most of the Premier League clubs would be dampened without their star striker.

But it is a bit " If my Auntie had balls she would be my Uncle"

If Kodjia isn't there or he dries up?.......but he is there and he hasn't dried up.

For sure, its not an inaccurate statement to say we rely on Kodjia so much, but for me that is credit to him and an illustration that there is still much work to be done on the team.

Just remember, this team is still "work in progress"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Obviously we would have another striker up front who you would hope would have been scoring goals...

15 million would have been spent on a different player who would then have played the same amount of minutes as Kodjia

^ absolute nonsense

10 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

^ absolute nonsense

I think it's absolute nonsense to think we wouldn't have another player playing instead of kodjia who may/may not have been successful. He may have been a complete flop. But no way of telling

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think it's absolute nonsense to think we wouldn't have another player playing instead of kodjia who may/may not have been successful. He may have been a complete flop. But no way of telling

McC says hi

Just now, Grasshopper said:

McC says hi

So, when we spent the money on kodjia do you think rdm, xia said to themselves 'well, if we don't sign kodjia, then it's nobody else', bearing in mind we already had McCormack here at that point?

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

McC says hi

remember Amavi getting injured?

RDL?

But I take what you say as what would happen

28 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

So, when we spent the money on kodjia do you think rdm, xia said to themselves 'well, if we don't sign kodjia, then it's nobody else', bearing in mind we already had McCormack here at that point?

no

but we're straying off the point.

I think bruce had his chance, he hasnt made the best of it.

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

^ absolute nonsense

McC says hi

remember Amavi getting injured?

RDL?

But I take what you say as what would happen

Without Kodjia and his goals we would have most probably spent the money on another striker during the summer who would have chipped in with some goals...

You make the point that without Kodjia's goals we would be facing relegation... but it's an if...

If we had signed Lionel Messi we would be looking at automatic promotion. It's a pointless argument against Bruce as per usual.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Being linked with stoke today. Hope you got a lot of money stoke city to burn 

25 million plus Xanadu Shakira.

As people have already touched upon, it's all a little irrelevant saying that without Kodjia we would be worse off and we rely on him too much.

I think we are relying on him too much because we can afford to, he is on fire. Anyone can say we rely on him too heavily which is fine, do the same people think Leeds rely too heavily on Wood? Lukaku at Everton? 

We've been hoping for a 20 goals a season striker for about 25 years. We've finally got one and we're too reliant on him. 

Give Bruce a full preseason with the squad and see how they are set up and how the goals are distributed throughout the team in the first couple of months, that should be a clearer indication of how heavily we rely on him. 

He is our focal point, and a very good one at that. But as has been discussed he's also poor at picking out other players or bringing people around him into play, he'd rather shoot than pass. That kind of striker will bag you more goals than most because he's not picking out midfielders running from deep, the only way they'll get the goal is from rebounds or if they make a long run with the ball at their feet.

When Bruce was at Sunderland he finished 13th with an poor side he had little time to rebuild. Bent got 24 goals in the Prem that season and they relied upon him 100%. 

The season we signed Bent from them in January, goals were much more evenly spread throughout the side, a lot of people got on the scoresheet and they finished higher, in 10th. It shows Bruce can do both and can adapt to the situation. There's no reason not to rely on Kodjia at the moment but with a good summer of training and nailing down tactics i think we'll look a different side. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Designer1 said:
In response to rumours of interest in Kodjia...

Too be fair, I wasn't impressed by Bruces "How do we stop him if Chelsea come in?Comments", however I don't know what context it was said in. Either way, I still feel that kind of thing is encouragement for clubs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Too be fair, I wasn't impressed by Bruces "How do we stop him if Chelsea come in?Comments", however I don't know what context it was said in. Either way, I still feel that kind of thing is encouragement for clubs.

I took that to mean any club under the stature of Chelsea would be wasting their time, telling kodge he's good enough for the top, whether he believes it is moot.

Good way of taking the shine off any other clubs advances.

Now I'd assume Chelsea have bigger options in picking strikers, I'd be shocked if they were interested.

• Like 2

Â