The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Can't think of a more pointless promotion than Boro going up again, last time under Karanka they could barely score a goal and same would happen under Pulis.

In any case I can see them sacking him if they don't make it and having to cut back again as they've invested a lot in their squad. Think they have one more year of parachute payments.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:57, Zatman said:

not having a go at you but I hate this attitude and it actually a problem Villa fans have that big clubs have some divine right to be in a league BUT Leeds are not really a team to even contest that. 24 teams have spent longer in top flight than Leeds including Burnley, blues, Sheffield United and Bolton

Actually 11 Championship clubs have spent more seasons in top flight than Leeds and one League 1 team

Interesting!

I have always though of them as a provincial club that had occasional periods of success...but try voicing that opinion and most football fans will say how much of a big club they are!

On 18/02/2019 at 11:59, VillaChris said:

Can't think of a more pointless promotion than Boro going up again, last time under Karanka they could barely score a goal and same would happen under Pulis.

Well it would mean they're not stinking out the Championship, and the Premier League would have to deal with them (which they would, with ease).  So for the comedy factor if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Interesting!

I have always though of them as a provincial club that had occasional periods of success...but try voicing that opinion and most football fans will say how much of a big club they are!

TBF when I was growing up they were regular top 6 team in premier league with near enough 40k most weeks. Mind you so were we. And Newcastle.

Leeds get loads of wide support for their period early 70s. Odd though we never got same coverage when we were more successful in early 80s.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/02/2019 at 12:10, VillaChris said:

Leeds get loads of wide support for their period early 70s. Odd though we never got same coverage when we were more successful in early 80s.

In an 11 year spell from 63/64 to 73/74 Leeds finished 1, 2, 2, 4, 4, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3 and 1 in the top division and reached 4 FA Cup finals,  although winning only 1.

That's a long period of being very good and what made them be seen as a big club. 

• Like 2

Leeds remaining games

Sha (a) Preston (a) Sheff Wed (h) Wigan (h) Brentford (a) Villa (h) Ipswich (a)

Sheff Utd remaining games

Preston (a) Sha (a) Millwall (h) Forest (h) Hull (a) Ipswich (h) Stoke (a)

Not a great deal to pick between these remaining fixtures in my opinion, three of the opposition are the same for both Leeds and Sheff Utd.

Leeds’ home game against Wednesday is probably as difficult as Sheff Utd’s home game against Forest. The same comparison can be argued for other games.

The big one that could well decide it is our game v Leeds. If we pick up a draw that might be pivotal, Sheff Utd have a better goal difference by four but trail by two points.

20 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

imagine being a stoke fan. 4 straight equals Arsenal's record

Expanding further on this, they’ve not scored in 8 of their previous 11 games, just 4 goals during that run. Just 1 win against Forest. 

Funnily enough prior to this run they managed a win against Leeds. I haven’t followed them closely but from the outside it really looks like it’s been a miserable season for them, probably worse than ours when we first came down.

On 01/04/2019 at 13:09, Demitri_C said:

Very true and sherwood is the favourite for this job!

Oh dear 

And Allardyce a front runner for West Brom.

What year is it?

So Bolton's safety certificate has been revoked by the local SAG (safety group comprising cops etc).  Security staff refuse to work until they're paid, making the ground unsafe for fans.

Their next 2 games could be postponed, and this might be the tip of the shiteberg.

Even as bad as Bolton have been this season, they've still managed to do the double over you-know-who :lol:

2 hours ago, BOF said:

So Bolton's safety certificate has been revoked by the local SAG (safety group comprising cops etc).  Security staff refuse to work until they're paid, making the ground unsafe for fans.

Their next 2 games could be postponed, and this might be the tip of the shiteberg.

Even as bad as Bolton have been this season, they've still managed to do the double over you-know-who :lol:

Yes but if they go bust all results are wiped out meaning teams they have beat get points back I believe? Could be bad news for us.

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Yes but if they go bust all results are wiped out meaning teams they have beat get points back I believe? Could be bad news for us.

If they go bust then their games don't count. It's not great for us but pretty much everyone in the top 10 has taken points off them. Some will lose 6pts. We'll lose 3. Currently puts us 6th.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

not quite. It's teams that have gained points against them will lose them. If you lost to them then you stay the same.

In a weird way it's almost better to have lost to them in that situation. Almost everyone around you loses points and you stay the same.

(I know it doesn't actually work like that when you think about it, but you know what I mean)

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

not quite. It's teams that have gained points against them will lose them. If you lost to them then you stay the same.

In a weird way it's almost better to have lost to them in that situation. Almost everyone around you loses points and you stay the same.

(I know it doesn't actually work like that when you think about it, but you know what I mean)

yep I get it it's annoying the scum will gain 6 points!!  

Â