The Championship thread

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bielsa, as I think a lot of us know, sounds like that kind of coach that the players will either love and it'll all work amazingly.

Or they'll hate him and it'll all collapse.

Very much so.

He is extremely demanding and never takes a day off. He expects his players to be the same.

I have doubts this Leeds squad will live up to his standards, but with the start they've had there is a chance/risk.

They will have bad days and that's when we'll see how the players will react to him.

I would not want to be the guy walking into training having been caught on camera partying the night before.

Bielsa will kill you. He actually might.

The fact that they've started well will be an absolute blessing. That's the kind of thing that will make the players buy into the methods.

If they'd started poorly you can see them losing faith very quickly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The fact that they've started well will be an absolute blessing. That's the kind of thing that will make the players buy into the methods.

If they'd started poorly you can see them losing faith very quickly.

They will have a bad patch though with those kind of tactics. You will be physically messed up in a 46 game season playing that style.

If they sustain that for 46 games then something dodgey as you physically cant 

I'm more than happy for people to archive this post to laugh at me later, but I don't think a team can last that pace over a 46-game season or even that close to it. I'm not saying they'll collapse before Christmas, but I personally believe it will go wrong at some point. The championship might not be much in the way of quality, but a 46-game season is a different kind of challenge. 

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm more than happy for people to archive this post to laugh at me later, but I don't think a team can last that pace over a 46-game season or even that close to it. I'm not saying they'll collapse before Christmas, but I personally believe it will go wrong at some point. The championship might not be much in the way of quality, but a 46-game season is a different kind of challenge. 

Agreed, big chance of that happening.

Had they had more resources they could have built a larger and stronger squad. Like us for example.

They'll just have make do with what they've got, and if they are near the top come January I imagine the owners will gamble on releasing more funds.

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep I can definitely see this happening. Like I said as soon as they hit a bad spell it's entirely possible that the players suddenly don't see the value in all the shit he puts them through.

Bielsa certainly has history of things collapsing. As do Leeds. So it's a recipe for disaster.

It's why I think people are being a bit quick to hail Leeds' good start to the season as the way forward.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep I can definitely see this happening. Like I said as soon as they hit a bad spell it's entirely possible that the players suddenly don't see the value in all the shit he puts them through.

Bielsa certainly has history of things collapsing. As do Leeds. So it's a recipe for disaster.

It's why I think people are being a bit quick to hail Leeds' good start to the season as the way forward.

They'll definitely hit a bad patch at some point - the indication of where their season is going to end up will be how they come out of it.  As you said earlier, it's really easy to buy into something when everything is going right.  Grueling training sessions (with possible demand improvements?) after a bad run of form will be something else.

That said, their first team is pretty much entirely "peak" age (27-30) with some decent younger players (Bamford, Phillips, Baker (loan) and Roofe) so they could be up for it all season.  Exciting times for them right now in any case.

• Like 2

Watching Leeds v Boro....

and from what i am seeing we will give them every much a game as they will give us.

They will both be teams who will be hard to beat but theres nothing to fear....not in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Watching Leeds v Boro....

and from what i am seeing we will give them every much a game as they will give us.

They will both be teams who will be hard to beat but theres nothing to fear....not in the slightest.

Except when they approach our defenders. Or win a set piece. Or exploit a weak referee. Or concentrate for 95 minutes. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Except when they approach our defenders. Or win a set piece. Or exploit a weak referee. Or concentrate for 95 minutes. 

we'll be three up by then though ?

Â