The Championship thread

TrentVilla

53 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Watching Leeds v Boro....

and from what i am seeing we will give them every much a game as they will give us.

They will both be teams who will be hard to beat but theres nothing to fear....not in the slightest.

I say the opposite. Both sides are setup  very organised and defensively very good.  Something we are not 

10 minutes ago, imavillan said:

we'll be three up by then though ?

10 minutes ago, imavillan said:

we'll be three up by then though ?

Incredibly, I posted this prophesy in the pre- match thread earlier: 

Sheff U 4 (Jedinak OG 46, Whelan error 52, Hutton concedes pen 79, Nyland error 95) - AVFC 3 (Abraham 2, 26, 44). HT 0-3.

On 30/08/2018 at 15:28, Demitri_C said:

They will have a bad patch though with those kind of tactics. You will be physically messed up in a 46 game season playing that style.

If they sustain that for 46 games then something dodgey as you physically cant 

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm still waiting for Wolves to "slip up once the weather gets cold",  as apparently their new foreigners "won't fancy Burton away on a cold Tuesday in February".

That's all we heard from people last season and this smacks of the same wishful thinking to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm still waiting for Wolves to "slip up once the weather gets cold",  as apparently their new foreigners "won't fancy Burton away on a cold Tuesday in February".

That's all we heard from people last season and this smacks of the same wishful thinking to me.

That wolves team was brilliant last year. This leeds team are nowhere near as good.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That wolves team was brilliant last year. This leeds team are nowhere near as good.

That remains to be seen. They are currently top of the league and have thumped Derby 4-1 at their place and looked pretty convincing up to now. 

All I'm saying is that everyone seemed certain Wolves would fall away last year and they didn't do anything of the sort. Not saying Leeds definitely won't fall away but they are looking rather good thus far.

43 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That remains to be seen. They are currently top of the league and have thumped Derby 4-1 at their place and looked pretty convincing up to now. 

All I'm saying is that everyone seemed certain Wolves would fall away last year and they didn't do anything of the sort. Not saying Leeds definitely won't fall away but they are looking rather good thus far.

I wasn’t convinced as they had players like neves and jota who were way too good for this level. Also these tactics Bielsa has are so much more demanding than what wolves had. I do not disagree Leeds have looked good.

but if they string a few bad results together that’s when the real test will be.

48 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Wolves had bigger squad and depth plus a lot better quality

Leeds will burn out. Its a trait of the manager

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wolves had bigger squad and depth plus a lot better quality

Leeds will burn out. Its a trait of the manager

You are missing my point. In response to the argument that Bielsa will have them knackered by February, I stated that all and sundry were saying that Wolves will burn out in February as the Portuguese won't fancy it in the cold.

Its a "trait of those fancy dan foreigners" we were told. 

Didn't happen that way though.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

You are missing my point. In response to the argument that Bielsa will have them knackered by February, I stated that all and sundry were saying that Wolves will burn out in February as the Portuguese won't fancy it in the cold.

Its a "trait of those fancy dan foreigners" we were told. 

Didn't happen that way though.

I backed Wolves from start last season with the quality of player they signed. 

Nobody said Wolves would burn out last season but some stereotypically said they couldnt handle the tough British winter 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I backed Wolves from start last season with the quality of player they signed. 

Nobody said Wolves would burn out last season but some stereotypically said they couldnt handle the tough British winter 

They certainly did.  Loads of people said they would get injuries , lose form and not be able to sustain the run, in addition to them not fancying playing in winter.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

not so much the foreigners playing in the cold but i thought the way nuno set wolves up he would put a lot of pressure on his midfield and it would be interesting to see if the key players could play 46 games and how he would rotate it, more the challenge of squad management than they wont be up to it

and btw the 13 game period in january until they played us in march was their worst run of the season ;) played 13 won 5, lost 4, drew 4 and got knocked out of the FA cup

• Like 2

11 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I'm not sure what your point is, TBH. You appear to be conflating an argument that one group of people made about something happening, with a different argument that a possibly different group of people are making. 

It's not clear to me why the fate of 'Portuguese players won't like frost' as an argument, should have much bearing on the fate of 'Marcelo Bielsa appears to be making some of the same decisions as in previous seasons in which his teams started well and then slumped, so maybe that will happen again'. I mean, the second argument could well prove to be wrong, but what does the first argument have to do with it?

23 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Incredibly, I posted this prophesy in the pre- match thread earlier: 

Sheff U 4 (Jedinak OG 46, Whelan error 52, Hutton concedes pen 79, Nyland error 95) - AVFC 3 (Abraham 2, 26, 44). HT 0-3.

Not far off if you take off Abraham was ineligible!

On 31/08/2018 at 20:57, imavillan said:

Watching Leeds v Boro....

and from what i am seeing we will give them every much a game as they will give us.

They will both be teams who will be hard to beat but theres nothing to fear....not in the slightest.

I agree last night was a bore fest but it was basically a Pulis team just playing for a 0-0 and we know how difficult that is to play against.

Leeds have been excellent in the other games and their pace and movement will cause our midfield and defence all sorts of issues. Hopefully we'll have ditched SB by December so we at least another style.

Boro will kill us with set pieces. Last season we were largely good defending them, horror show this season so far.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

not so much the foreigners playing in the cold but i thought the way nuno set wolves up he would put a lot of pressure on his midfield and it would be interesting to see if the key players could play 46 games and how he would rotate it, more the challenge of squad management than they wont be up to it

and btw the 13 game period in january until they played us in march was their worst run of the season ;) played 13 won 5, lost 4, drew 4 and got knocked out of the FA cup

Key is getting so far ahead of the pack. At that stage they were already about 10 points clear of third so in that position you can not win for 3-4 games and still be o.k.

It was the same with Cardiff. All season I said they'd struggle to win in April and guess what they won 1 out of 6 games in that month but we were 8 points behind them at the start of that month so that was the issue.

Generally playing catch up is not a good idea in any league.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bolton in a spot of bother then.

Bolton Wanderers could be put into administration on Tuesday morning, according to club owner Ken Anderson.

Anderson said he offered to repay creditors BluMarble Capital Ltd a £4m loan plus interest but that the offer had been rejected.

The club could be deducted 12 points for going into administration. They are currently eighth in the Championship with 11 points after six games.

BBC link

Â