The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Genuinely chuckling at some of these championship fans thinking Potter's stock is so low he's just going to accept mid table championship gigs.😂

Actually given we've been talking about Dean Smith recently that would be a decent fit for him I think if they want a better style. Can imagine Michael Beale would be interested aswell given he did get good form out of QPR for 2-3 months before walking out.

They'll have some good candidates applying so interested who ends up at the Den.

• Like 2

Reading currently hold the record for the highest number of points in the championship with 106.

After 12 games they had 27 points. 

Leicester are currently on 33 points after a dozen games.

In fairness, Ipswich are also currently surpassing what Reading did at this stage.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

It's interesting with those teams like Watford, Norwich, West brom etc who used to yo yo between championship and prem. It feels like they're just becoming championship clubs again now. 

Watford's endless chopping and changing of managers and squad overhauls has basically stripped them of any identity so they'll probably beat enough of the lower teams to just stay up but it could be a close run thing.

West Brom still got a decent 11 on paper but lack a decent goalscorer and got endless financial issues.

Both more likely to be league 1 in next 5 years than prem imo.

• 2 weeks later...

They’re currently third and fourth, a third of the way into the season. Do we think the final league game of the season between Leeds and Southampton will prove to be a fairly important one or will it be more of a non event with neither side wanting to pick up an injury for the play offs?

28 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They’re currently third and fourth, a third of the way into the season. Do we think the final league game of the season between Leeds and Southampton will prove to be a fairly important one or will it be more of a non event with neither side wanting to pick up an injury for the play offs?

Can see Ipswich dropping off personally, so it could be for automatic. Chances are against of course. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2023 at 10:55, VillaChris said:

Genuinely chuckling at some of these championship fans thinking Potter's stock is so low he's just going to accept mid table championship gigs.😂

He has some history with our new sporting director. It's happening, we're the mid table championship gig of his dreams.

1 hour ago, Naaaaarch said:

He has some history with our new sporting director. It's happening, we're the mid table championship gig of his dreams.

its weird to see the semi demise of Norwich from a Pl/Champ/PL/Champ club to mid table Champ club.

You have had some very good players over the last few years, an exciting, if not entirely suitable style for the PL.

Whats happened do you think?, i know you have sold some of your better players (Buendia etc), lost Pukki etc etc, but you had a bit of a rep a couple of years ago for finding gems on the cheap, but the wheels seem to have come off over the last couple of years?

Do you think you will be challenging for promotion again in the next couple of years?, or do you think you have slipped in to mid table championship mediocrity a bit now?

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

its weird to see the semi demise of Norwich from a Pl/Champ/PL/Champ club to mid table Champ club.

You have had some very good players over the last few years, an exciting, if not entirely suitable style for the PL.

Whats happened do you think?, i know you have sold some of your better players (Buendia etc), lost Pukki etc etc, but you had a bit of a rep a couple of years ago for finding gems on the cheap, but the wheels seem to have come off over the last couple of years?

Do you think you will be challenging for promotion again in the next couple of years?, or do you think you have slipped in to mid table championship mediocrity a bit now?

We threw away our identity in the last Premier League season and have half-arsed trying to put together a new one ever since. We were clearly trying to put together a more physical squad but if you look at our central midfield position (Sara, McLean, Gibbs, Nunez, Sorensen and Foreshaw) it's clear we're not fully committing. We've been really complacent over the last couple of seasons, it's like the club just assumed we'd get promoted because it's Norwich in the Championship.

We really did stray from the original Webber/Farke squad building mentality though. I think we'll have 12 or 13 30+ players by the beginning of 2024. 

Our new sporting director started yesterday so hopefully that can be the reset we need. Although our recent accounts show that we don't exactly have the money for a dramatic rebuild.

I honestly have no idea if we'll be challenging again any time soon. Will be interesting to see how Ben Knapper sees football, coming from a long stint at Arsenal I'm hoping we'll be a footballing side again. We also have an ownership change on the horizon so we'll hopefully be more financially competitive going forward.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Naaaaarch said:

We threw away our identity in the last Premier League season and have half-arsed trying to put together a new one ever since. We were clearly trying to put together a more physical squad but if you look at our central midfield position (Sara, McLean, Gibbs, Nunez, Sorensen and Foreshaw) it's clear we're not fully committing. We've been really complacent over the last couple of seasons, it's like the club just assumed we'd get promoted because it's Norwich in the Championship.

We really did stray from the original Webber/Farke squad building mentality though. I think we'll have 12 or 13 30+ players by the beginning of 2024. 

Our new sporting director started yesterday so hopefully that can be the reset we need. Although our recent accounts show that we don't exactly have the money for a dramatic rebuild.

I honestly have no idea if we'll be challenging again any time soon. Will be interesting to see how Ben Knapper sees football, coming from a long stint at Arsenal I'm hoping we'll be a footballing side again. We also have an ownership change on the horizon so we'll hopefully be more financially competitive going forward.  

How bad has Shane Duffy been and would a fit Omobabidele have been better?

4 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

How bad has Shane Duffy been and would a fit Omobabidele have been better?

Omobamidele would have absolutely been better fit with how we try to play out from the back but it's pretty obvious he was sold to fill a hole in finances. He'd also have still been suffering from the midfield tactics.

Wagner's midfield pairing essentially need to do everything and none of our midfielders are that complete. None of our midfielders have a shred of defensive instinct (well maybe Foreshaw did but his legs went years ago). It basically results in out best attacking midfielder (Sara) getting pressed on the edge of his own area. Our fullbacks play high up the pitch so if we lose it in the middle we're essentially giving the opposition an overload against a pairing made of our not so mobile central defenders (Duffy, Gibson, Hanley, Batth).

Duffy is pretty much what you get at Championship level, he's limited in a lot of ways and has the odd moment of madness but he's actually quite solid and dominant in the air.. He was a key performer in our run at the beginning of the season where we only lost 1 in 8.

Wagner has complained about an injury crisis although I don't really think it's been that bad. He's just not found a way to play without Josh Sargent and he's very set in his ways when it comes to that midfield build up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a ropey couple of weeks, Leicester have most things go their way this weekend.

Ipswich lose. Southampton and Leeds both drop points.

I say most things have gone their wayobviously the Rooney juggernaut kicking into gear will have them have grateful there are two automatic promotion spaces up for grabs.

• Haha 1

Â