The Championship thread

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, useless said:

Steven Schumacher set to leave Plymouth for Stoke City

Certainly looking that way but hopefully he stays at Argyle a bit longer.

Mid-season manager change could easily ruin their season and send them down (just as they're starting to pull away from the drop).

• Like 1

I will be interesting to see who Plymouth get as Schumacher's replacement, on their fourm they're talking about the likes of Kenwyne Jones, and Leyton Baines, so seems some leftfield names have been linked, along with more predictable names like Eustace, Duff, Pearson, Mowbray and so on, Lee Carsley also being mentioned. Hopefully they choose wisely as it's in our interest with Azaz and Kesler-Hayden on loan there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

I will be interesting to see who Plymouth get as Schumacher's replacement, on their fourm they're talking about the likes of Kenwyne Jones, and Leyton Baines, so seems some leftfield names have been linked, along with more predictable names like Eustace, Duff, Pearson, Mowbray and so on, Lee Carsley also being mentioned. Hopefully they choose wisely as it's in our interest with Azaz and Kesler-Hayden on loan there.

The local chat does strongly suggest Baines. Argyle have ties to the Liverpool area through senior management (past two managers both scousers) and they like young, forward thinking coaches which he apparently is. I just hope this doesn't derail their season and send them back down.

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Didn't realise just how rich their owners were.

Yeah the Coates family is loaded. Although they haven't seemed to spend that much on the club in recent years (could be because of FFP tbf)

Alex Neil leaving Sunderland for them backfired. Will be interesting to see if Schumacher has made the same mistake.

• 1 month later...

Ilias Chair from QPR has been sentenced to one year in prison for breaking a mans skull with a rock in Belgium yet the club started him yesterday

Pretty sure he was linked with a top flight move 

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ilias Chair from QPR has been sentenced to one year in prison for breaking a mans skull with a rock in Belgium yet the club started him yesterday

Pretty sure he was linked with a top flight move 

Doubt he's worried small heath will prob offer a lifetime contract for him

Stoke since getting relegated from the premier league in 2018 seem to exist in complete turmoil.

First year they went down they had a bloated squad full of guys on premier league wages so that did for Gary Rowett and Nathan Jones.

Then squad was remodelled under Michael O'Neill but they never got close to a play off spot and just settled into mid table.

He was harshly sacked and Alex Neil walked out of Sunderland to join them but a very mediocre year of results saw him sacked.

Schumacher then walked out of a very good gig at Plymouth to join them. They had a little bounce in his first 4-5 games but are now on a losing streak with rumours half the squad don't want to play for him.

It's a strange one. I went to Uni up there (put your condolences here) and my first year was when they got promoted to the premier league so I saw up close how they did things with Pulis and Delap's long throws and what a nightmare they were generally to play against.

No identity whatsoever now and just general apathy in the stands so I could easily see them in league one next season. It is a strange one though as the ownership still puts money into the club and it's clearly an attractive job for managers working elsewhere to want to quit their jobs for.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

have a sneaky feeling that Leicester might choke in the run in and miss automatic promotion

Was just about to say are they genuinely going to bottle it. 3 defeats in a row now. The previous 2 were understandable but losing at home to QPR is a bad one.

Just took a look at the table - absolutely everything open, with loads of teams involved, at both ends of the table.

4 way race for automatic promotion between Leicester (who as people say, looked to be cruising it), Ipswich (incredible), Leeds and Southampton).
Realistically maybe 5 teams outside of these going for the playoffs - West Brom, Hull, Norwich, Preston and Coventry.

And then the relegation battle, wow.  Sheff Wed hitting some form with 4 wins from their last 5 are now just 3 points from safety on 35 points.  On 38 points: Stoke (currently in relegation zone), Huddersfield, Blues (go on lads, you can do it!), and QPR.  Millwall and Blackburn on 39 points and Plymouth on 40.  Could possibly even extend to Swansea on 42 points.  That's 8 (potentially 9) sides in a relegation scrap :D.

FWIW, Blues have Hull away tonight then Millwall away on Saturday.  The latter being a particularly huge game.

A couple of other notable games in the relegation fight tonight:
Blackburn (39) vs Millwall (39)
Sheff Wed (35) vs Plymouth (40)

A Sheff Wed win makes things incredibly interesting.  Granted, they have a hard run in on paper.

• Like 2

Â