The Championship thread

TrentVilla

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who schedules this thing?

Coming out of an international break, the entire nation gagging for the return of club football and the Championship standing alone with the plum TV slot, Friday night live - all eyes on the second tier of the English game, the joyous return of 'proper' football, millions on the edge of their seats, the single most important TV slot the Championship will have this year...and what do they give us?

Rotherham versus Ipswich.

Steady on chaps, there's only so much glamour I can take.

Not a glamorous game i agree but i find championship games alot more entertaining than alot of PL games. Also no crappy VAR 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Coming out of an international break, the entire nation gagging for the return of club football and the Championship standing alone with the plum TV slot, Friday night live - all eyes on the second tier of the English game, the joyous return of 'proper' football, millions on the edge of their seats, the single most important TV slot the Championship will have this year...and what do they give us?

Ipswich are actually a really really good team to watch, endless 3-2 wins so and also lost 4-2 to Leeds.

They'd be a fine addition to the prem next year based on what I've seen so far.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's never a PL match on a Friday after internationals. There would be too much complaining from managers, not enough recovery time etc.

9 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It's never a PL match on a Friday after internationals. There would be too much complaining from managers, not enough recovery time etc.

Exactly, so why not schedule your big guns and take advantage of that?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Probably 2 of the teams with fewer international players available so easier for FA to play it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly, so why not schedule your big guns and take advantage of that?

There seems to be a saturday night game at 8pm this weekend

I quite like sat might games at that time tbh esp in winter

1 hour ago, useless said:

Rowett has left MIllwall, they're fifteenth, but still only three points off the top six, and have only lost one of the last five, so not in the worst of postions.

Similar to SHA. He did on the whole a pretty good job there but he's one of these managers that plays defensive football and just can't get teams over the line.

Was a hangover from Millwall completely bottling top 6. I just looked back at their run in and it was some sight their results:

Lost at home to Huddersfield who were firmly in the bottom 3 at the time.

Lost at home to SHA who at that point were safe and had nothing to play for.

Lost at Wigan who went down.

After all that they still just needed a win on final day to make top 6. They were 3-1 up at home to Blackburn on the final day and then imploded second half and lost 4-3.

Of course Millwall probably only have a lower half budget but when you see Luton-Cov in the final it was a massive missed opportunity for them.

Get the feeling they were thinking about doing it in the summer but the tragic death of their owner meant they had to postpone things for a few months.

Edited by VillaChris

Millwall fans are in shock that he's been sacked, unless they've got someone really good lined up to replace him might be one of those careful what you wish for scenarios. I don't even rate Rowett that highly, I remember when he was linked to us, a lot of people seemed to think he was a young progressive manager that played 'good football' but that really wasn't the case, was more like a younger version of a typical old school Brit manager, but still can't be denied he did a good job at smallpox heath and Millwall.

Rowett, Potter, Eustace, and Smith the famous Villa supporting managers all out of work

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Millwall fans are in shock that he's been sacked, unless they've got someone really good lined up to replace him might be one of those careful what you wish for scenarios. I don't even rate Rowett that highly, I remember when he was linked to us, a lot of people seemed to think he was a young progressive manager that played 'good football' but that really wasn't the case, was more like a younger version of a typical old school Brit manager, but still can't be denied he did a good job at smallpox heath and Millwall.

Rowett, Potter, Eustace, and Smith the famous Villa supporting managers all out of work

When was he linked to us? When we changed managers in the championship he was always in jobs.

Ideal job for Eustace really if he wants to get back in quickly as Millwall can still challenge for the play offs.

If I was QPR I'd be sacking Ainsworth and appointing Rowett as he'd comfortably keep them in the division.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When was he linked to us? When we changed managers in the championship he was always in jobs.

Ideal job for Eustace really if he wants to get back in quickly as Millwall can still challenge for the play offs.

If I was QPR I'd be sacking Ainsworth and appointing Rowett as he'd comfortably keep them in the division.

If memory serves there were some rumours around about Rowett before we went down - maybe around the time Lambert was hired, or maybe as replacement for Lambert... 

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

think when we sacked Sherwood or Di Matteo

bizarre obsession with some fans on here about overrating the managers blues hire, Monk was a genius at one stage and Eustace another one.

I listen to the NTT20 pod, What the EFL pod and the Square Ball that is Leeds main fan podcast. They've all recently discussed Millwall and Rowett and the consensus seemed to be he'd completely lost the fanbase who were sick of the bad football despite the decent results on paper over the course of his time there. Seemed to be the thought that the players at his disposal would do better with a different style of play but he was being too one dimensional and sticking to his standard way of playing. 

I personally didn't know Rowett was a Villa fan and I'm a bit disappointed. Found his comments pretty unsavoury on a few occasions, gave a cold take on players taking the knee and other times that I can't remember off the top of my head. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

His lower win record than Rowett on probably a bigger budget will impress the fans

But you gotta ask yourself what their expectations are. And eustace left blose 6th with a very average squad

small heath haven't had more to spend than Millwall since Eustace went there I think it was about the same, but small heath had to sell some of their better players to raise the dough, namely Jobe Bellingham and Chong, whereas Millwall didn't have to do that.

Last summer their squad was a mess, barely had any players, I think it was something thirteen or fourteen with the rest made upf of academy players, Eustace did well to keep them up and in fact to not have them anywhere near relegation, this season when he was able to build a better squad he had them sixth in the table.

Millwall fans want Potter, but would be delighted with Eustace as see him being of a similar ilk - a young trendy manager with innovative ideas that allow his players to play with a sense of joy and confidence, in fact could easily be argued that Eustace did a better job in the Championship than Potter did, whereas Rowett is seen as more of an old fashioned 'dinosaur' manager, like i say Rowett did a good job at both small heath and Millwall, but managers like Eustace is very much en vogue at the moment.

Edited by useless

Â