The Championship thread

TrentVilla

So who are we hoping go up? Personally I don't really care but I could do without having a 8th (almost) London club in the PL so not Luton I guess.

Be nice for Archer and Ramsey to experience a promotion and from a Swedish point of view having Göykeres in the PL would be good. Guess he will be sold if they don't go up.

Sunderland is just boring on the same level as West Brom.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

So who are we hoping go up? Personally I don't really care but I could do without having a 8th (almost) London club in the PL so not Luton I guess.

Be nice for Archer and Ramsey to experience a promotion and from a Swedish point of view having Göykeres in the PL would be good. Guess he will be sold if they don't go up.

Sunderland is just boring on the same level as West Brom.

I’d be interested to see Coventry come back up and Luton as they’ve never been before and their rise through the leagues is impressive! 

• Like 3

I think Luton will be favorites against Coventry, they played much better against Sunderland than did Coventry against Middlesbrough, also Sunderland played better against Luton than did Middesbrough against Coventry, so Luton not only played better in their semi-final, but also had the toughter test, Boro have been poor for a while, just two wins in the last ten.

Also Luton finished ten points above Coventry in the season.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Luton will be favorites against Coventry, they played much better against Sunderland than did Coventry against Middlesbrough, also Sunderland played better against Luton than did Middesbrough against Coventry, so Luton not only played better in their semi-final, but also had the toughter test, Boro have been poor for a while, just two wins in the last ten.

Also Luton finished ten points above Coventry in the season.

Coventry it is then. 

• Like 1

Luton or Coventry to go up, would not have guessed that at the start of the season. Then again I know absolutely nothing about the Championship.

22 hours ago, sne said:

Luton or Coventry to go up, would not have guessed that at the start of the season. Then again I know absolutely nothing about the Championship.

You're correct, in spite of knowing nothing about the Championship :D

They would've both been expected to be mid-to-lower table teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

You're correct, in spite of knowing nothing about the Championship :D

They would've both been expected to be mid-to-lower table teams.

Luton made the play offs last season and made some decent signings in the summer although they did lose a few key men.

Coventry finished last season strongly and kept Gyokeres. Their problem at start was Commonwealth games messing up the pitch so they had a few games postponed and were playing catch up.

Both sides have built astutely over last 2-3 years and play football that is effective for them so not too surprised they've taken advantage of West Brom, Norwich and Watford all having pretty poor seasons.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Luton made the play offs last season and made some decent signings in the summer although they did lose a few key men.

Coventry finished last season strongly and kept Gyokeres. Their problem at start was Commonwealth games messing up the pitch so they had a few games postponed and were playing catch up.

Both sides have built astutely over last 2-3 years and play football that is effective for them so not too surprised they've taken advantage of West Brom, Norwich and Watford all having pretty poor seasons.

Pre-season favourites were Norwich, followed by Watford, West Brom, Sheff Utd and Middlesbrough (Burnley were 6th favourites).

Apparently Coventry were joint 11th favourites for promotion (along with Hull and Blackburn at 15/2) with Luton joint 14th (along with Cardiff, QPR and Millwall at 8/1) - so fairly unexpected that one of them will be up.

• 2 months later...
On 05/08/2023 at 15:45, Demitri_C said:

Gonna say that QPR are bankers for relegation this year

All they need is another ex villa assistant manager to come in and manage them. What’s Aaron 100% Danks up to these days? 

18 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

thoughts that Ipswich might get back-to-back promotions?

My only real ITK in the world of football is Ipswich.

And the plan within Ipswich is to be in the PL sooner rather than later. 

30 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

All they need is another ex villa assistant manager to come in and manage them. What’s Aaron 100% Danks up to these days? 

Wouldnt be suprised to see fistface there tbh. He would prob save them from relegation but promotion not a chance.

Â