The Championship thread

TrentVilla

On 25/02/2024 at 14:26, VillaChris said:

Stoke since getting relegated from the premier league in 2018 seem to exist in complete turmoil.

First year they went down they had a bloated squad full of guys on premier league wages so that did for Gary Rowett and Nathan Jones.

Then squad was remodelled under Michael O'Neill but they never got close to a play off spot and just settled into mid table.

He was harshly sacked and Alex Neil walked out of Sunderland to join them but a very mediocre year of results saw him sacked.

Schumacher then walked out of a very good gig at Plymouth to join them. They had a little bounce in his first 4-5 games but are now on a losing streak with rumours half the squad don't want to play for him.

It's a strange one. I went to Uni up there (put your condolences here) and my first year was when they got promoted to the premier league so I saw up close how they did things with Pulis and Delap's long throws and what a nightmare they were generally to play against.

No identity whatsoever now and just general apathy in the stands so I could easily see them in league one next season. It is a strange one though as the ownership still puts money into the club and it's clearly an attractive job for managers working elsewhere to want to quit their jobs for.

When were you at Staffs Uni? I was there 2002-2005 (Stoke campus, studying journalism)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both Leicester and Leeds drop points, Ipswich in with a genuine chance of not only getting autmomatic promotion but winning the whole league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Both Leicester and Leeds drop points, Ipswich in with a genuine chance of not only getting autmomatic promotion but winning the whole league.

Southampton not quite out of automatics either, they have a spare game at home to Preston in the final midweek.

Argyle picking up another point thanks to an Uncle Albert own goal. 

4 from 6 since sacking Foster.

Putting more pressure on Birmingham. 

• Like 2

Preston v Norwich at the weekend seems pretty significant too. As someone mentioned, SHA play Norwich on the last day so it would be ideal if Norwich still had something to play for and can't rotate.

Cracking fight at the bottom. I'm mates with 3 Wednesday fans and their season has been very strange. Cut adrift early on, they've battled back, and seem to have been on the brink of escape for a few months now but can't quite get the momentum going. But it's so close now. Their form, and the form of the likes of Huddersfield has dragged other sides into it who would have previously assumed themselves safe. It's set for a hell of a finish. More interesting to me than the fight at the top.

• Like 1

A nod to Stuart Dallas, a reliable & consistent ever-present during the Leeds United Bielsa era, forced to retire aged 32 with a knee injury sustained v Man City in a tackle with Grealish 2 years ago.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Cracking fight at the bottom. I'm mates with 3 Wednesday fans and their season has been very strange. Cut adrift early on, they've battled back, and seem to have been on the brink of escape for a few months now but can't quite get the momentum going. But it's so close now. Their form, and the form of the likes of Huddersfield has dragged other sides into it who would have previously assumed themselves safe. It's set for a hell of a finish. More interesting to me than the fight at the top.

I honestly find the Championship a much more interesting league than the Premier League. So much more going on.

• Like 3

Just now, Rds1983 said:

I honestly find the Championship a much more interesting league than the Premier League. So much more going on.

It always was. It's a crazy league where there are huge ebbs and flows and upsets. The playoff system also makes it very interesting at the end of the season. 

Leicester, Leeds and Ipswich. Their last five games, between them they have by my count 25 points from a possible 45. Ipswich contribute the most to that with 10.

It’s not stellar form, is it? Like they’re all getting stage fright.

6 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

A nod to Stuart Dallas, a reliable & consistent ever-present during the Leeds United Bielsa era, forced to retire aged 32 with a knee injury sustained v Man City in a tackle with Grealish 2 years ago.

A shame, a reliable utility man who could perform competently at multiple roles. Decent pro. 

• Like 1

Leicester form has been poor of late, just ten points from the last ten games including tonight, only Blackburn, Huddersfield, Sunderland, small heath, and Rotherham have been in worse form over the same period. Big chance for Leeds and Ipswich who both have home games tomorrow.

Would rather Southampton come up with Ipswich rather than Leeds or Leicester, it's a long shot, but they've still got a slight chance based on them having two games in hand and also having to play both Leeds and Leicester

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â