The Championship thread

TrentVilla

7 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Looking at those wage bills (if correct), Stoke, middlesboro and Huddersfield must be some of the worst run clubs in recent years. Those wage bills against league positions. In particular Stoke.

When you look a this, it makes you realise how bad it could've been for us. We actually did pretty well to stabilise (well done Steve) and have oppurtunities to go up. And then eventually go up fairly quickly (well done Dean). But it also shows that we shouldn't be expectant of guaranteed survival and how much things had to change (and have changed) to get us into this position where we are in the premier league. 

Look at the Stoke squad.

Butland- Everyone thought he'd leave but still there although stock has fallen dramatically. England international. One of highest earners in squad (30-40k).

Stephen Ward- Signed him from Burnley in prem where he was regular so good wage.

Joe Allen- Made squad of tournament at euro 2016. Signed for 15m from Liverpool. Infact signed a new deal when Stoke actually went down so on similar wage to Butland.

Tom Ince- Made countless big moves in his career in last 5 years without actually doing anything (if you ask me he was last good at Blackpool in 2012). Signed for Stoke for 10m.

Sam Vokes- Signed from Burnley so similar to Ward.

James McClean- Signed from premier league club, regular at international level etc.

Bruno Martinis Indi- Six years ago was a regular for Holland when they finished 3rd at world cup. Played for some decent european teams.

Ryan Shawcross- Been there forever.

Nick Powell- Got him on a free so will be on a big wage.

Kevin Wimmer- Signed him from Spurs for about 18m despite looking s*** there. Endlessly loaned out in last three seasons.

It's similar to us in 16/17 really. We signed loads of on paper good names but it didn't translate onto the pitch until late in that season.

Stoke should be doing miles better as plenty of those have been part of promotion winning squads before but must be really toxic behind the scenes for them to be as bad as they are. They've followed a similar path to us in last 5 years when you think they were finishing in prem top half not so long ago.

Etebo is good example. Was pretty average for them but the loaned him out to Getafe and he's a regular in team who could well finish top 4 in La Liga.

People always underestimate how hard it's coming down from prem with bloated squad on stupid wages who feel it's beneath them to play at Rotherham on a Tuesday night. Add in a losing mentality from getting relegated from premier league. You get the odd one like Newcastle who bounce back straight away but that's more due to the size of the club so they can always attract the best players who sign for championship clubs. Hopefully we'll be the same.

Think Bournemouth will be above to this list next season.

Edited by VillaChris

Sheffield Wednesday have one of the biggest wage bills in the championship and recently haven't been able to pay their players. if these figures are correct they've got ten players being paid over a million a year in wages, Rhodes is on over two million a year, and they don't have the benefit of recently being in the premier league to help with finance those wages, and it's all for a squad that hasn't seriously challenged for promotion since they were in the play-off final.

'Based on the findings, the average first-team wage at Wednesday is around £850k-a-year/£16.3k-per-week.'

Seems Sheff Weds have been having a FFP points deduction hanging over them for about 2 years.

Derby also had issues around January. Given how long it took FL to give SHA a points deduction last season I'm guessing they're waiting to see if either will finish in play offs before doing it. Sheff Weds in mid table so might aswell do it now.

Wednesday had their hearing last week, and there's expected to be an announcement on their punishment within the next two weeks. A points deduction is apparenlty likely, but I've no idea if that will be applied this season or next season.

I dont understand how Sheffield Wednesday have such a consistently high wage bill. The squad is as average as yiu can get and not many that were even good in Premier League before to say they earned it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont understand how Sheffield Wednesday have such a consistently high wage bill. The squad is as average as yiu can get and not many that were even good in Premier League before to say they earned it

Now they've got Garry 'dodgy dealer' Monk in charge to top it all off. He's an absolute platinum level helmet. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

They signed the likes of Gary Hooper and Stephen Fletcher from premier league. Fletcher was a MON signing at Sunderland and they don't come cheap.

3 hours ago, useless said:

None of it proven yet but could have big repercussions if there turns out to be any truth to it.

1st comment as usual from a dickhead Leeds fan saying he doesnt care. My god what a bunch of absolute clearings in the woods support that club

Jordan Rhodes is reportedly on £40k a week, that's over two million pounds a year and he's in his fourth season with them, that's eight million in wages on just him alone, I think his transfer fee was around £8m as well. Since being there he hasn't scored more than six goals in a season, and when he did score than many he was on loan Norwich.

Obvoiusly we didn't any better with signing strikers when we were down there, but we had parachute payments and raised quite a bit of money by selling players as well, Wednesday have had none of that to fund their transfer fees and wages.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, useless said:

None of it proven yet but could have big repercussions if there turns out to be any truth to it.

Just came across that link myself. Shocking state of affairs. 

• Sad 1

Â