International Football General Chat

villa4europe

3 hours ago, sne said:

Apparently the Holland Sweden game is also a decider of who gets to play in the Group A of the upcoming UEFA Nations League that will be part of the rather confusing and overly complicated EURO 2020 qualification.

Holland win and it's them, Sweden win it's them, and if it's a draw it's Austria who nicks the last spot.

That tournament will be a total mess, and the qualification system is UEFA at it's worst.

Euro 2020 has become the most ridiculous, overly complicated, UEFA ego trip of a tournament. From the ludicrous league of nations qualification system, to the tournament itself that requires everyone to dart around Europe for a few weeks at insane expense, it is a mess.

But I'm sure will be other threads for that in the near future. ;)

Edited by One For The Road

1-0 Holland after 34 minutes from a correct but terrible Robben penalty.

Already lost count on how many times he's tried his 2 trademark moves, the dive and the inside move from the right flank to make room for his left foot.

Everything goes through Robben in what will likely be his last cap for Holland.

Yeah he dives a lot but I still really like him as a player.

France 2-0 up will win the group, can't see Holland getting another 6 past Sweden so play off against Denmark here we come.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Ryan **** Babel

He's only 30, which is amazing as he's been playing for what seems like 20 years. 

7 hours ago, sne said:

1-0 Holland after 34 minutes from a correct but terrible Robben penalty.

Already lost count on how many times he's tried his 2 trademark moves, the dive and the inside move from the right flank to make room for his left foot.

Everything goes through Robben in what will likely be his last cap for Holland.

Yeah he dives a lot but I still really like him as a player.

France 2-0 up will win the group, can't see Holland getting another 6 past Sweden so play off against Denmark here we come.

If he was playing with a prime Van Persie and Sneijder or even half prime instead of Babel and Janssen i would have favoured them to get the 7 goals

That's USA out then. There needs to be a total overhaul of the program, top to bottom. It's a positive sign of the times that this result will be unacceptable to millions of supporters. But hard questions need to be asked.

It is somehow fitting that USA does not qualify for the World Cup during this Trump fiasco. Too bad, because the team could have been a positive global representative of our country to contrast with our buffoon president.

**** it all to hell.

Edited by maqroll

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

That's USA out then. There needs to be a total overhaul of the program, top to bottom. It's a positive sign of the times that this result will be unacceptable to millions of supporters. Hard questions need to be asked.

It is somehow fitting that USA does not qualify for the World Cup during this Trump fiasco. Too bad, because the team could have been a positive global representative of our country to contrast with our buffoon president.

**** it all to hell.

Whatever happened to the goalkeeper production line you used to have - Howard's still playing in goal for you.

4 minutes ago, legov said:

Whatever happened to the goalkeeper production line you used to have - Howard's still playing in goal for you.

TBF it's really just been 3 of them. Gulati (FA head) needs to go, this end result demands it. Hopefully smart men take the helm.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

He's only 30, which is amazing as he's been playing for what seems like 20 years. 

I remember himself and Royston Drenthe bursting onto the scene for the Dutch U21s as; I think at the time; 17 year olds.  Royston went to Real and was never seen again* :P 

* I know not literally, but suffice to say he never got near the heights.

I imagine there is quite the panic at FIFA now with USA failing to qualify. 

Be interesting to see what measures they take to make sure they still get to play.

The goal for Panama was incorrect but not sure an appeal can be successful. Perhaps they can fabricate some corruption or match fixing deal and have a rematch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

I imagine there is quite the panic at FIFA now with USA failing to qualify. 

Be interesting to see what measures they take to make sure they still get to play.

The goal for Panama was incorrect but not sure an appeal can be successful. Perhaps they can fabricate some corruption or match fixing deal and have a rematch?

The Panama non-goal would be the obvious route to take.  It's amazing what can be done when the powers-that-be are motivated enough.

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

The Panama non-goal would be the obvious route to take.  It's amazing what can be done when the powers-that-be are motivated enough.

After the way FIFA kicked out France in favour of Ireland after the infamous Henry handball, you'd expect them to retrospectively disallow the Panama goal too. :P

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I remember himself and Royston Drenthe bursting onto the scene for the Dutch U21s as; I think at the time; 17 year olds.  Royston went to Real and was never seen again* :P 

* I know not literally, but suffice to say he never got near the heights.

Both linked to Villa that summer along with Sneijder! 

Just now, Xela said:

Both linked to Villa that summer along with Sneijder! 

Drenthe was all but on his way IIRC until poxy Real stuck their nose in, then barely played him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

There is actually a case that happened...Senegal lost to South Africa but they appealed as the ref gave a ridiculous penalty and the game will be replayed next month.

Would still only get U.S a play off place though.

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

That's USA out then. There needs to be a total overhaul of the program, top to bottom. It's a positive sign of the times that this result will be unacceptable to millions of supporters. But hard questions need to be asked.

**** it all to hell.

There's so much life sprouting up at the local level over here, that could lead to a proper lower league system. I really hope this progress is not lost!

US soccer needs to detach from the useless college system too... bloody joke. I've never heard a good thing about AYSO either, when it comes to producing competitive junior soccer. There's a time and a place for fun.

Â