International Football General Chat

villa4europe

That man Isco again. Why we never signed him I will never know. 

I know. I know. We went for Kieran Richardson instead, and he was brilliant. Truly brilliant. It was a tough call and we went for Kieran, the correct decision at the time...but everytime I see Isco I cannot help but wonder what might have been.

• Haha 1

Future's looking brighter for Spain, Isco and Asensio are/will be two world class players to take them forward. I'm amazed De Gea only has just over 20 caps, really was ridiculous how they persisted with Casillas for so long, he had been dreadful for Spain for several years. 

• Like 1

What a mad result.

Luxembourg have improved a lot this campaign...only lost one game by more than two goals and picked up 5 points now so a lot of the european minnows like them and Faroes are being competitive in tough groups now.

Still a chance Sweden could win the group and put France in play offs.

France, Croatia, Portugal, Italy could all be in the play offs.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sweden **** up in Bulgaria, a draw would have put the faith in there own hands

Win Luxembourg (not quite as forgone as expected) and France would need to win in Bulgaria to be top with one game left. Bulgaria won all their home games so far so that's a tough match for France.

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sweden **** up in Bulgaria, a draw would have put the faith in there own hands

Bulgaria is a tough away game. France have still got to go there and it could go down to the final game where Sweden may need to win in Holland to win the group

edit sorry I missed your post Chris so have repeated some things 

Edited by PaulC

On 3/26/2017 at 18:40, Czechlad said:

We've started pretty bad, but there is no way Azerbaijan finish above us. Germany is destroying them, and Czech is winning 6-0 against San Marino who Azerbajian barely beat. 

Azerbaijan now above Czechs with two games left. :lol: Indeed next game is Azer-Czech and they're tough to beat on their own patch these days.

How solid are Norn Iron these days btw. You play this game about 5 years ago and they'd do well to get a point, now they're beating the likes of Czech Republic comfortably.

Michael O'Neill has done a brilliant job, will surely get a good club offer next season. They're a team who'd give an Italy or Portugal a lot of difficulty in the play offs imo.

30 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

The All Whites have over 2 legs put out the mighty Solomon Islands :hooray: and now face the 5th place team from South America.Which is currently Argentina.....:unsure:

The single-most inevitable thing to happen at any point of the world cup from start to finish, is that New Zealand will be one of the teams in the CONMEBOL-OFC playoff :) But well done to them nonetheless.  I hope against hope that they win that playoff :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

best defence in the qualifiers, i'll be honest and say i've only ever watched them last summer at the euros, cant remember them being overly defensive pulisballesque, solid and well organised but not boring

3 of usual back 4 are baggies players

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Northern Ireland are so frustrating. The match yesterday was so terrible to watch even just as a bystander. Northern Ireland put 9 men behind the ball the whole match and then just scored off a couple set pieces. It was honestly like playing a Pulis side. We just couldn't do anything. The majority of the match seemed to be in N. Ireland's half, but we couldn't break them down. We resorted to long balls, and crosses which didn't work. They barely even had any chances. I think the match finished with them have 2 shots and both went in. 

Honestly that match was dreadful. I am very disappointed we didn't make the world cup, but I think a lot of people will hate watching N.Ireland play. It was just so boring. 

They were pretty defensive in the euros but you honestly have to look at their team and conclude it's the right way to approach things given the sum of their parts.

Their strongest area of the pitch and subs is defence (Brunt, Johnny Evans, McAuely, Cathcart etc) and upfront they have Magennis who used to be a keeper and plays in league one.

I can remember a time when they went 6-7 internationals without even scoring a goal so the fans will just be enjoying the ride.

I can't fault them for doing what is best considering the players they have, but I have to say that football just can't be entertaining. I guess I would take results over pretty football, but I felt like I was watching Barca play Celtic from a few years ago in the champs league. Just all defense, and hope to get something off a set play. It worked though. 

Â