International Football General Chat

villa4europe

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There is actually a case that happened...Senegal lost to South Africa but they appealed as the ref gave a ridiculous penalty and the game will be replayed next month.

Would still only get U.S a play off place though.

The ref in that game got a lifetime ban for "unlawfully influencing match results" so I suspect there's much more to this than an honest mistake.

FIFA need to be really careful as this would set such a horrible precedent. Imagine how much more annoying Mourinho would get?

The initial word from the US side appear to be no dice, hopefully they'll not let Nike/Fox take over the process.

No real surprise after the "Genetically Challenged" Comments. Those words sounded like a beaten man.

Strachan and Scotland Split

Gordon Strachan has left his position as Scotland manager by "mutual consent", four days after the team failed to qualify for the World Cup.

The decision, taken in conjunction with the board of the Scottish Football Association, means 60-year-old Strachan leaves a job he took in January 2013.

Assistant Mark McGhee also departs.

Has Strachan ever done anything worthwhile in mamnagement, aside from losing an FA cup final with Southampton and beating a Rangers team in 6 billion pounds worth of debt?

Such a shit manager, but I do like the guy. Walked away from Boro without a pay off IIRC too as he felt he had failed ( he had, spectacularily)

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Has Strachan ever done anything worthwhile in mamnagement, aside from losing an FA cup final with Southampton and beating a Rangers team in 6 billion pounds worth of debt?

Such a shit manager, but I do like the guy. Walked away from Boro without a pay off IIRC too as he felt he had failed ( he had, spectacularily)

Did an excellent job at Southampton (similar to Koeman). Pretty sure they were 4th when he left?

He did o.k for Coventry for a while aswell, built an exciting team of Gary Mac,Robbie Keane, Hadji, Chippo but there were all sold and Coventry were relegated.

He's not the worst manager in the world.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

I think he did a good job for Scotland, considering what he had to work with. 

to be fair to him slovenia and slovakia both have more tournament appearances in the last 10 years than them and in general have had better qualifying campaigns too, not that most of the scots would ever admit it (based on the utter disillusion of the majority of celtic fans) they're better teams...to get to within 30 seconds of beating england and finishing 3rd on goal difference isnt actually that bad

if they beat us they may have got the playoffs

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

.......not that most of the scots would ever admit it (based on the utter disillusion of the majority of celtic fans).....

Although I don’t follow the Wetherspoon’s Scottish league too closely, I don’t think I have seen too many St Andrew’s Cross flags in the crowd :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So England are looking to sway Jamaican born Leon Bailey to play for them since both his parents have UK passports.

Apparently he's also eligible to represent Belgium and Malta along with his native Jamaica.

Strangely enough he hasn't played any senior competitive games for them yet so he might still do a John Barnes and choose England.

Would be a solid addition for your national team and having him and Sterling on the flanks (both with Jamaican ties) with Kane in the middle would be lethal.

Would probably be great news for Leverkusen as well as his already very high value (about £80m) would possibly double with him becoming "English" :D

He's a good player, stepped up a level this season and Leverkusen is a good development club for these talents.

I see no issue given he is qualified to play through his blood ties.

England is probably last remaining nation that dosen't naturalise players for the sake of it. Spain won 2008 euros with Marcos Senna as their defensive midfielder, Germany had Cacau as one of their strikers at one of their major tournaments and Italy had Thiago Motta playing for them after he represented Brazil at under 20 level.

• 2 weeks later...

With his current form and southgates love of a back three, I’d take segessenon as left wing back. Teams will be surprised by him as not played in prem and his pace will scare the shit out of teams. Him and sterling down the left would be lightening.

• Like 1

So Boris Johnson claiming England might pull out of the WC in wake of the attack on the Russian MI6 spy and his daughter in Salibury ?

I don't see that happening.

• 3 weeks later...
Â