International Football General Chat

villa4europe

Sweden doing what's expected of them and destroying Luxembourg. 8-0 with 20 mins to go.

4 goals by Marcus Berg.

Pressure on Holland now who need to beat Belarus by a big margin if they are to catch Sweden who have 14 goals better GD than them atm. 

Sweden could potentially lose to Holland in the last game and still finish 2nd in the group.

Bit much hoping France mess up against Bulgaria, but u never know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legov said:

I know...hard to believe!

Early goals are massively important in international football.

France didn't score in opening 20 minutes and Luxembourg grow in confidence, Sweden score early and heads drop and we see then the part timers they are.

Holland are pretty much out now aren't they, no way are they turning a 14 goal difference in just two games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Early goals are massively important in international football.

France didn't score in opening 20 minutes and Luxembourg grow in confidence, Sweden score early and heads drop and we see then the part timers they are.

Holland are pretty much out now aren't they, no way are they turning a 14 goal difference in just two games.

England always struggle if they don't score early too.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Have Brighton and Watford players in their starting 11.

10-15 years ago it was all AC Milan, Barcelona, Man. United etc.

Dutch football is dead which is sad considering its a small country. No one with potential breaking through and recycling old managers

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dutch football is dead which is sad considering its a small country. No one with potential breaking through and recycling old managers

Its a lull but I'm sure they will produce many great players again. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its a lull but I'm sure they will produce many great players again. 

I agree. Maybe their coaching isn't as strong as it was but they still have the right approach to youth development, it's just a poor generation of players.

They've had lulls before...think they missed world cups in the 80s then came back to win euro 1988. Can remember them missing world cup 2002 (unbelievable with the squad they had at the time) and they then had a very strong 10 years.

They've still finishing 2nd and 3rd at the previous two world cups. Think England would sign up for that!

On 06/09/2017 at 20:32, VillaChris said:

Icardi was doing his best Higuain impression last night. Scorer of 20 + goals in Seria A with his eyes closed but constantly just failing to touch in  crosses. A nearly game for him especially as he had his goal chalked off as an OG.

No idea what's going on with Argentina. They have some brilliant individual players but just can't connect as a team. Didn't really understand Sampaoli's thinking later on in the game either. Took off Dybala and Icardi and put on Bendentto and Acosta so finished the game with those two upfront and Pastore hopelessly overhitting balls towards them. Aguero was an unused sub.

They'll still scrape in. Let's be honest New Zealand in a play off is a total bye to the finals.

How very dare you Chris.

Messi and Aguero are all well and good but they're hardly Chris Wood.....

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dutch club football as well. There was a time when Ajax and PSV could compete with the very best in Europe. That'll never happen again. 

The dutch team isn't rally that bad if you look at the players but they are massively under performing as a team.

Sure they are far from where they usually are and are going through a generation change, but the biggest issue seem to be that they are missing their classic dutch nr 9 central striker. That, and the number of soft goals they are conceding.

Vincent Jansen is crap, and even thou Bas Doost had a great season last year he's no where close to Huntelaar, Van Persie, van Nistelrooy, (Bergkamp), Kluivert and of course van Basten.

As for manager they could do worse than look at Giovanni van Bronkhorst to take over next summer. Think it might be him who takes over.

3 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

How very dare you Chris.

Messi and Aguero are all well and good but they're hardly Chris Wood.....

I've never forgiven them for losing 10-1 on aggregate to a terrible Mexico team in 2013. It's still pretty much the same squad and after seeing them in the Confeds Cup there's no way in my mind they'll knock out a South American team over two legs.

• Like 1

England under 17's beat Chile 4-0 today - every single one of the first team with the exception of Jordan Sancho who moved to Germany this summer plays for one of the current top six. Personally, I think that's indicative as to how much money and weak rules have broken the game.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

England under 17's beat Chile 4-0 today - every single one of the first team with the exception of Jordan Sancho who moved to Germany this summer plays for one of the current top six. Personally, I think that's indicative as to how much money and weak rules have broken the game.

Do Chile have anyone decent going to come through?

Going to struggle otherwise as Vidal, Alexis, Valdivia, Bravo and Medel all probably going to bow out at the same time.

Â