International Football General Chat

villa4europe

People over here finally that the problems in US soccerball run a lot deeper than Herr Klinsmann after losing at home to 0-2 to Costa Rica at the weekend. There are some who seriously think they should be challenging for the WC next time they host it (2026/30). Sure, but only if they do a Greece, see NI for the current iteration. The US is trapped in the British/Irish mindset of kick and rush football.

How's finishing above Azerbaijan going again?

I'm surprised you haven't made a similar case for Czech playing like that. 10-15 years ago you had a team who should've won euro 2004 playing some great football (Plasil, Smicer, Porbosky, Cech, Rosicky, Baros, Koller) all playing for top level european clubs

Now looking at the latest squad, highest level clubs players are playing for are Werder Bremen and Hertha Berlin. Only two strikers named and no Czech player in a premier league team which would've been incredible 10 years ago.

Same decline as the likes of Bulgaria and Romania really.

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

People over here finally that the problems in US soccerball run a lot deeper than Herr Klinsmann after losing at home to 0-2 to Costa Rica at the weekend. There are some who seriously think they should be challenging for the WC next time they host it (2026/30). Sure, but only if they do a Greece, see NI for the current iteration. The US is trapped in the British/Irish mindset of kick and rush football.

I watched a bit of the Costa Rica game and US is a bit of a mish mash team. Potentially a very good attack. Altitdore gets loads of stick but he has a pretty good record for them, Bobby Wood is a decent Bundesliga striker and Pulisic has potential to be a stand out player in european football although didn't have a great game.

Rest of team has seen better days Howard, Bradley etc.

Syria make the play offs! Probably against Australia though and not maybe U.S so little chance of making the world cup. Amazing story though given the circumstances.

Have to say having just watched Uzbekistan-Korea game, Uzbekistan are even more of a bottlejob national team than England. Just played for a 0-0 even though any win would've got them an automatic spot and now they're not even going to make a play off spot.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I watched a bit of the Costa Rica game and US is a bit of a mish mash team. Potentially a very good attack. Altitdore gets loads of stick but he has a pretty good record for them, Bobby Wood is a decent Bundesliga striker and Pulisic has potential to be a stand out player in european football although didn't have a great game.

Rest of team has seen better days Howard, Bradley etc.

Ya, jeez Howard looked so rough. Slow, slow motion, sad to see.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Syria make the play offs! Probably against Australia though and not maybe U.S so little chance of making the world cup. Amazing story though given the circumstances.

Have to say having just watched Uzbekistan-Korea game, Uzbekistan are even more of a bottlejob national team than England. Just played for a 0-0 even though any win would've got them an automatic spot and now they're not even going to make a play off spot.

Yes I watched a bit of it on bet365

• Like 1

Australia fails to clinch an automatic spot, and from here, I couldn't be arsed anymore.

I do want my country to qualify, only as long as we are competitive. What I have seen is dire, and it is nothing to get excited about if you are just going to make up the numbers and exit without any fight. It would be more embarrassing than exciting.

Postecoglu out!

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

How's finishing above Azerbaijan going again?

I'm surprised you haven't made a similar case for Czech playing like that. 10-15 years ago you had a team who should've won euro 2004 playing some great football (Plasil, Smicer, Porbosky, Cech, Rosicky, Baros, Koller) all playing for top level european clubs

ned.jpg

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

USA losing to Honduras already

Guzan recalled so USA basically a goal down from kick off.

It's incredible what a mess the likes of Australia, Argentina and US are making of their qualification campaigns. Got the feeling one of those will miss out and also someone big from europe aswell.

Also why I hate the 48 team would cup as you might aswell not bother with qualifying campaigns given how many will qualify and they'll be little drama like we're getting now.

6 hours ago, AJ said:

Australia fails to clinch an automatic spot, and from here, I couldn't be arsed anymore.

I do want my country to qualify, only as long as we are competitive. What I have seen is dire, and it is nothing to get excited about if you are just going to make up the numbers and exit without any fight. It would be more embarrassing than exciting.

Postecoglu out!

Australia do what they always do... compete well, but no end product. Like so many international teams, they badly need a striker who can finish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Australia do what they always do... compete well, but no end product. Like so many international teams, they badly need a striker who can finish.

Too right. 45 shots for just 2 goals is ridiculous.

Juric is one of those strikers that needs about 10 chances to get one goal.

Was pretty frustrating watching Leckie & co peppering the box with low crosses - WTF was the point of starting Cahill when we weren't going to play to the only strength he has left?

Rogic is the player that frustrates me the most though. He has more football ability than Leckie, Kruse & Brad Smith* altogether and still does nothing but dribble into trouble and lose the ball. Just a highlights player and would rather see Troisi out there trying to make stuff happen.

*I realise that Brad Smith adds or subtracts nothing to the equation, because he has zero ability.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Too right. 45 shots for just 2 goals is ridiculous.

Juric is one of those strikers that needs about 10 chances to get one goal.

Was pretty frustrating watching Leckie & co peppering the box with low crosses - WTF was the point of starting Cahill when we weren't going to play to the only strength he has left?

Rogic is the player that frustrates me the most though. He has more football ability than Leckie, Kruse & Brad Smith* altogether and still does nothing but dribble into trouble and lose the ball. Just a highlights player and would rather see Troisi out there trying to make stuff happen.

*I realise that Brad Smith adds or subtracts nothing to the equation, because he has zero ability.

Agree with all that, Ponky. Also, we had 75% possession, FFS.

Some say that Thailand played well. I call bullshit on that. All they did was park the bloody bus for 90 minutes.

Â